Cat with plastic stuck around it’s neck

MaureenJP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I have been trying for the last five days to trap this poor cat. He obviously got himself stuck in what looks like part of an old gutter spout or some kind of event. It is entirely wrapped around his neck.

i’m going to attempt to attach a photo here, hopefully it works.

anyway, I do TNR work, have a couple of traps of my own, but I also have a colony of cats that I care for. I have come so close to getting this poor cat into the trap, but the other cats run him off.

The way this cat behaves leads me to believe he has been trapped before. Or he is just a super smart cat! He managed to hook a small corner of newspaper from underneath that had bead on it and drag it to get a few morsels to eat. He has gone into the trap just enough to not trip the plate.

He does not appear to have been fixed. He can eat and he can drink. But he is constantly rubbing his neck and his head on steps and in various places trying to get this thing off of him.

he does not appear to have been fixed. He can eat and he can drink. But he is constantly rubbing his neck and his head on steps and in various places trying to get this thing off of him.Does anyone have any special tips or tricks on what to do here, how to keep the other cats away from the trap, from the bait, from this poor cat? Just a note, I use the tru catch traps, I do not have a drop trap and I do all of this on my own.

I am really desperate to get this cat the help that he needs urgently! Thank you all in advance for any help or information.
Maureen

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MaureenJP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I meant to write, gutter spout or some type of vent, not event. Sorry.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How close does he let you get? How much latitude do you have in leaving traps and cages around the colony? Do you think you could feed him in a dog crate and then once he's used to it, tie anrope to the door and catch him?

On the plus side, I don't think the vent will kill him so it's not a huge immediate emergency. I once trapped one with a 6-pack ring around her neck and leg and that was nearly fatal.

MaureenJP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, Willowy. I no longer have a dog crate, I have some large cat carriers, but I could look into buying something else if you think that is one way to go.

he lets me get very close, closer than some of the cats I have been caring for for years! Not quite close enough to touch him.

We do have a small backyard that is private. Should I set up some other traps not set back there for the other cats, is that what you are suggesting?

Thank you again for your ideas and for your reply! I am relieved that he can at least drink water and is able to eat, but it is still very distressing.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Get multiple have-a-heart traps or whatever traps youre using, the more traps = better chance at catching him.
Dont put newspaper in the trap as it seems like hes smart enough to get the food! haha. The trap can always be cleaned later.
Dont give up! Eventually you'll get him and get that thing off his neck. Thank you for helping him.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find that using a large carrier that I cover and use for feeding over a period of time works well. I let the kitty get comfortable eating there and it seems to make it less likely for multiple cats to eat there. If you have the time you can try laying behind the crate, very still, at each feeding. When he knows you and the carrier are safe then it’s much easier to shut the door without him escaping but I have used the rope in the door trick too. If you rig a rope , you must be sure you close the door tightly enough to hold him in until you can latch it. Putting the carrier partially under a tarp makes it harder for the kitty to know you are near too. I’ve gotten many that way. You might try feeding him the Gerber 2nd foods all meat baby food that is slightly warm. It might be easier for him to eat and is the best lure that I know of. The kitties get very engrossed in eating it. You might try putting a dish slightly elevated to help him eat too. Thank you so much! This is so heartbreaking to see! I worked alone trapping too and I know it’s hard. Bravo to you and just keep trying. Eventually we do get them! Another tool I used is a large fishing net. When using a carrier to catch kitties, if I was afraid a cat would get out before I could fasten the door, the net went over the door.
You might check any local shelters or humane societies or rescue groups to see if you can borrow and carriers, cages or traps. The other thing I used with wily cats was a cage with two doors. I left both open until the kitties trusted it. Once they did I closed one. Later when I approached the cage to shut the cat in, they did not remember the second door was closed and in trying to run away from me, ran to the closed door which gave me enough time to shut the remaining door.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Maureen !

I know that your immediate focus is trapping him......what about after that?

You said:
" I do all of this on my own..."
I think it's likely that you'll need some help to remove that from his neck - and, maybe even some tools.

It may not easily slip off.

It looks like it is very snug, with next to no 'wiggle room' around his neck, and that type of venting is not flexible 'on its round', that is, around the circumference.....some types even have a springy wire inside - that one loooks like it might.

You may need a heavy-duty scissors and a wire cutter to remove it.

And, almost certainly, you'll need extra hands to both restrain him and remove the vent.

In a worst case, he might panic and need to be sedated - could the TNR clinic help if that were needed?.

Just a few thoughts beforehand...........

MaureenJP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I find that using a large carrier that I cover and use for feeding over a period of time works well. I let the kitty get comfortable eating there and it seems to make it less likely for multiple cats to eat there. If you have the time you can try laying behind the crate, very still, at each feeding. When he knows you and the carrier are safe then it’s much easier to shut the door without him escaping but I have used the rope in the door trick too. If you rig a rope , you must be sure you close the door tightly enough to hold him in until you can latch it. Putting the carrier partially under a tarp makes it harder for the kitty to know you are near too. I’ve gotten many that way. You might try feeding him the Gerber 2nd foods all meat baby food that is slightly warm. It might be easier for him to eat and is the best lure that I know of. The kitties get very engrossed in eating it. You might try putting a dish slightly elevated to help him eat too. Thank you so much! This is so heartbreaking to see! I worked alone trapping too and I know it’s hard. Bravo to you and just keep trying. Eventually we do get them! Another tool I used is a large fishing net. When using a carrier to catch kitties, if I was afraid a cat would get out before I could fasten the door, the net went over the door.
You might check any local shelters or humane societies or rescue groups to see if you can borrow and carriers, cages or traps. The other thing I used with wily cats was a cage with two doors. I left both open until the kitties trusted it. Once they did I closed one. Later when I approached the cage to shut the cat in, they did not remember the second door was closed and in trying to run away from me, ran to the closed door which gave me enough time to shut the remaining door.
Thank you so much Jcatbird Jcatbird ! For all the useful info and support. Great insight and ideas!

MaureenJP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
white shadow white shadow Hi and thank you. I plan to take him to the Vet - I’d be afraid to attempt that on my own. I also want to make sure that he is OK, have him looked at to see if there’s any injury from this thing, if he needs medication, etc.

MaureenJP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope to have some good luck and news today, but nothing so far. :( Here in New Jersey we are having a brief blast of very cold air. When I got up to begin today it was only 14 degrees (F). My usual crew peered out from their shelters like, "not now!"

Obviously the bait is freezing almost immediately. I've had better luck trapping in the rain than the cold, so the weather concerns me today. Haven't seen the kitty since he was chased off early yesterday. I've tried to find out where he hides/stays, but when I follow he goes between houses where I cannot get to. More than that, there are some very unfriendly-to-animals people around :mad:, so I never want them to see anything in-progress.

Maybe the cold will keep some of the usuals tucked in and allow this boy to venture over. All I can do is keep trying. Fortunately this old air is not going to last and in another day or two temperatures will be closer to normal.

Thanks to everyone for your care, concern, suggestions, and for all you do for the animals. I'll keep you posted and really hope we have him very soon.

MaureenJP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I couldn’t post a video! He was trying to get this off and leaned against the trap so I put my finger in there to see how it was, hooked it and he pulled backwards. I am in tears. This is like my Christmas miracle. It’s the Vet’s turn now! No more plastic, and no kitten-making.

Attachments