Cat with mental health issues pacing like crazy tonight

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A small mercy: after I got his blood sugar up, he went into hiding. That's technically holding still, so even though he needs to be looked at, at least he's resting.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This was my initial guess, but it's been seven hours. Even in a semi-feral ex-stray male, that's a lot.
Yes. Yes, it is.

Your cat is showing signs of territorial distress. If investigating this possibility turns up nothing, you can at least eliminate it from the list and move on to the next thing.

But if you don't investigate and it is the problem, you're prolonging your cat's suffering.

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was talking to a friend who is a nurse, and she thinks this sounds like possibly undiagnosed diabetes since getting such a wildly low blood sugar reading is pretty rare in non-diabetics. He has skipped food and I assumed that's what it was, but even still, apparently his blood sugar is still way too low. I forcefed some more honey, some food, and then he drank on his own! That's a good thing to not have to worry about.

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes. Yes, it is.

Your cat is showing signs of territorial distress. If investigating this possibility turns up nothing, you can at least eliminate it from the list and move on to the next thing.

But if you don't investigate and it is the problem, you're prolonging your cat's suffering.
Maybe, but it's below freezing, so I'm gonna have to wait on that one.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I feel for you and your poor guy who has been through so much in his prior background as a stray. 🤗 In addition to all the issues mentioned including undiagnosed diabetes, if he is a senior or thereabout, is it possible he is showing some signs of dementia? The reason I asked is because some animals do exhibit similar symptoms. For example, our dog definitely had age related dementia especially in the evening, comparable to Sundowner's in humans. I hope your next vet visit offers some insight and help for both of you.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my cat had diabeties there wasn't much on the Net about it so I used the human sites, who were very nice to me. Given your description of the pacing followed by low blood sugar then honey and end of pacing I found this -
"...low blood sugar may cause scattered thoughts while extreme lows can even cause hallucinations and delusional thinking. "

Low Blood Sugar Hallucinations | DiabetesTalk.Net

I'm not saying this is what's going on, but I thought you might be interested especially since you mentioned your nurse friend.

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about you both this morning, catching up on what happened yesterday and wondering how things are today?
Better! He's resting, although he got put through his paces at the vet. We decided urinalysis and a physical exam were enough, so we're getting blood tomorrow. So, I don't have all the answer yet, but unfortunately, his stress is a factor as per usual.

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my cat had diabeties there wasn't much on the Net about it so I used the human sites, who were very nice to me. Given your description of the pacing followed by low blood sugar then honey and end of pacing I found this -
"...low blood sugar may cause scattered thoughts while extreme lows can even cause hallucinations and delusional thinking. "

Low Blood Sugar Hallucinations | DiabetesTalk.Net

I'm not saying this is what's going on, but I thought you might be interested especially since you mentioned your nurse friend.
This is interesting! I didn't know that could happen. My other cat had diabetes and has recovered, and it was always really straight-forward. We're still looking at other possibilities, but that would explain the paranoia for sure. He has mental health issues to start with, so it's not much of a stretch.

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel for you and your poor guy who has been through so much in his prior background as a stray. 🤗 In addition to all the issues mentioned including undiagnosed diabetes, if he is a senior or thereabout, is it possible he is showing some signs of dementia? The reason I asked is because some animals do exhibit similar symptoms. For example, our dog definitely had age related dementia especially in the evening, comparable to Sundowner's in humans. I hope your next vet visit offers some insight and help for both of you.
He has pretty obvious post traumatic stress, but I can't ask him what he's feeling. Sometimes when he gets hit with an unexpected stressor, he gets this terrified look in his eyes and is just inconsolable. It's like he leaves his body and just screams high and loud like a hungry kitten, and I have to put him away for several hours until he comes out of it. The connection is usually obvious enough that it doesn't feel random, even though it's an extreme reaction to what is usually a minor sensory issue. Dementia is an okay fit for his issues, now that you mention it.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for taking care of this guy! I can only imagine a life without eyelids…could it be this is his time to allow the release of a lifetime of fear & survival In a “safe space?“ I really hope your vet can narrow this down, other than just calling it “anxiety.” Perhaps it would be easier for him and cheaper for you to send your vet videos? It could be he never completely recovers from this trauma, but simply learns how to cope?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my. You and kitty have really been through it. You are awesome for working through this. All the above advice is great. I had a rescue that got terrified at times and it’s very discouraging to be unable to reassure. I had a suggestion that might give some immediate relief. Might. With low of no vision, sound and smell must be doing double time. The cat music has helped here at times. I finally kept one radio station playing low at all times to help with three ferals. For another cat I found that purring worked best. YouTube has many videos of cats purring and I just get that on my phone or use a purr toy and put it next to the kitty. The toy and videos that seemed to help the most are the heartbeat sounds. It is like having another cat to make calm sounds without actually introducing another cat. Purring is a very relaxing sound and the stuffed toy is often found with a cat sleeping next to it. Once a cat settles a bit, I lay next to them and form a circle around them like another cat would do to comfort.
since this cat will hide, can you make a tent with a sheet or something over a crate, cage, table or other permanent sanctuary spot? That helps here. High spots for some and floor level for others.
Sounds and smells are the things that bring anxiety here. Both senses are very high in cats and I can only imagine that low sight would make those bring anxiety higher. We have raccoons, armadillos and possums wandering at night along with other cats. I keep the perimeter of the house as clear as possible. A simple strobe light keeps some creatures away. Owls are out right now and will not hint by a strobe. It is small but blinks bright flashes. I put my mop water out near exits too. Wild creatures don’t like it and it makes them avoid the area. Citrus is bad for cats but I sometimes polish a strip across the wood doors on the outside with lemon polish about possum height. It helps. This may all be temporary help but perhaps something here can buy kitty a restful night until you work through this. I have an armadillo under out porch right now and the kitties are very nervous. I awoke with a pile of kitties on me this morning. I am working to get the armadillo to relocate but….. for now the kitties are avoiding that room at night. Again, huge kudos to you for being so amazing for this precious cat.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's quite possible he's suffering from the previous trauma, then at times the freaking out from that causes him to not eat, which could lead to the low blood sugar. Even without diabetes low blood sugar can do a number on you.

Listening to your heartbeat may well help sooth him. Others have suggested the purr tapes/stuffed animals. I believe there are some for kittens which produce the sound of a heartbeat. You said he is crying as a lost kitten. Perhaps one of his early traumas was the loss of his family and he remembers. That might make the heartbeat stuffed animal soothing for him.

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Perhaps it would be easier for him and cheaper for you to send your vet videos?
I wanted to take video. He was pacing for maybe seven hours, and the whole time I was upset and just never did it. I lost my cool tbh! I have taken videos in the past, and that always works out well.

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got to hold him for ages and rubbed his little belly. He purred so much omg... I think he might have some gas, so it probably feels good, but I never got to rub his belly before. He has an outie belly button, so the temptation is always there ha.

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my. You and kitty have really been through it. You are awesome for working through this. All the above advice is great. I had a rescue that got terrified at times and it’s very discouraging to be unable to reassure. I had a suggestion that might give some immediate relief. Might. With low of no vision, sound and smell must be doing double time. The cat music has helped here at times. I finally kept one radio station playing low at all times to help with three ferals. For another cat I found that purring worked best. YouTube has many videos of cats purring and I just get that on my phone or use a purr toy and put it next to the kitty. The toy and videos that seemed to help the most are the heartbeat sounds. It is like having another cat to make calm sounds without actually introducing another cat. Purring is a very relaxing sound and the stuffed toy is often found with a cat sleeping next to it. Once a cat settles a bit, I lay next to them and form a circle around them like another cat would do to comfort.
since this cat will hide, can you make a tent with a sheet or something over a crate, cage, table or other permanent sanctuary spot? That helps here. High spots for some and floor level for others.
Sounds and smells are the things that bring anxiety here. Both senses are very high in cats and I can only imagine that low sight would make those bring anxiety higher. We have raccoons, armadillos and possums wandering at night along with other cats. I keep the perimeter of the house as clear as possible. A simple strobe light keeps some creatures away. Owls are out right now and will not hint by a strobe. It is small but blinks bright flashes. I put my mop water out near exits too. Wild creatures don’t like it and it makes them avoid the area. Citrus is bad for cats but I sometimes polish a strip across the wood doors on the outside with lemon polish about possum height. It helps. This may all be temporary help but perhaps something here can buy kitty a restful night until you work through this. I have an armadillo under out porch right now and the kitties are very nervous. I awoke with a pile of kitties on me this morning. I am working to get the armadillo to relocate but….. for now the kitties are avoiding that room at night. Again, huge kudos to you for being so amazing for this precious cat.
Lots of good stuff in here to try, but you reminded me that I have a heartbeat toy in my stash of art supplies. I got these weird little voice boxes and stuff from a surplus, like a dino voice box that roars, and there's a beating heart in there. I'm gonna try that one.

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's quite possible he's suffering from the previous trauma, then at times the freaking out from that causes him to not eat, which could lead to the low blood sugar. Even without diabetes low blood sugar can do a number on you.

Listening to your heartbeat may well help sooth him. Others have suggested the purr tapes/stuffed animals. I believe there are some for kittens which produce the sound of a heartbeat. You said he is crying as a lost kitten. Perhaps one of his early traumas was the loss of his family and he remembers. That might make the heartbeat stuffed animal soothing for him.
I often find that intense medical stuff like this brings me closer to a cat, so I hope he sees me not leaving him and trusts me more. I've been swaddling him against my chest like a wee baby.