Cat with kidney failure having gingivitis

Gingerboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today I went to the vet for Ginger's check -up. Ginger is about 10 years old with chronic kidney disease and he recently ate his kibbles and sometimes spit some out/swallow without chewing. So the vet said it was gingivitis, but she gave some antibiotics to reduce the swelling. Just wondering, are cats with kidney disease allowed to eat antibiotics? And also she said that ginger will have to do scaling once he finished the antibiotics. But, she did said if the reading of the kidney content isn't so nice we might not be able to get scaling done for Ginger.. So is there any other alternatives, if any to treat his disease?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats with kidney disease get antibiotics sometimes when needed. Antibiotics aren't really replaceable when serious level bacteria is involved and bacteria is harder on the kidneys than antibiotics. Whether Ginger is suitable for a dental operation or not depends on what stage of kidney disease he has and how he's doing in the bloodwork. (If you do decide on a dental procedure, if it's available I suggest finding a clinic that has a pet dialysis machine to be on the safe side, in case things go wrong.)

It would be better if he was on a wet-only diet if it's possible, especially for his kidneys. That might be easy in the mouth for him too. There are some enzymatic toothpastes and water additives that helps with gingivitis. Definitely discuss them with your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gingerboy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats with kidney disease get antibiotics sometimes when needed. Antibiotics aren't really replaceable when serious level bacteria is involved and bacteria is harder on the kidneys than antibiotics. Whether Ginger is suitable for a dental operation or not depends on what stage of kidney disease he has and how he's doing in the bloodwork. (If you do decide on a dental procedure, if it's available I suggest finding a clinic that has a pet dialysis machine to be on the safe side, in case things go wrong.)

It would be better if he was on a wet-only diet if it's possible, especially for his kidneys. That might be easy in the mouth for him too. There are some enzymatic toothpastes and water additives that helps with gingivitis. Definitely discuss them with your vet.
Thank you. Honestly I think he is in a pretty chronic condition based on his latest blood test report last few months (his reading just got worse over the months) so I can only hope that scaling is allowed. He seemed to dislike wet food especially those in chunks, he used to like Whiskas Tuna White Fish but now he doesn't eat them at all :/ I got him some other brands like Sheba but it wasn't his type, also sorry for asking so much but do you know any wet food that isn't chunky but more to like gravy kinda feel?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Honestly I think he is in a pretty chronic condition based on his latest blood test report last few months (his reading just got worse over the months) so I can only hope that scaling is allowed. He seemed to dislike wet food especially those in chunks, he used to like Whiskas Tuna White Fish but now he doesn't eat them at all :/ I got him some other brands like Sheba but it wasn't his type, also sorry for asking so much but do you know any wet food that isn't chunky but more to like gravy kinda feel?
My cat also doesn’t like chunky wet foods but eats pate texture ones like Gourmet Gold pate or Fancy Feast pate. I add a bit water to make it softer. Some prescription kidney disease wet foods are also in pate texture if I remember correct.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today I went to the vet for Ginger's check -up. Ginger is about 10 years old with chronic kidney disease and he recently ate his kibbles and sometimes spit some out/swallow without chewing. So the vet said it was gingivitis, but she gave some antibiotics to reduce the swelling. Just wondering, are cats with kidney disease allowed to eat antibiotics? And also she said that ginger will have to do scaling once he finished the antibiotics. But, she did said if the reading of the kidney content isn't so nice we might not be able to get scaling done for Ginger.. So is there any other alternatives, if any to treat his disease?
im not sure i would put him under for a scaling... thats basically a dental cleaning. Check his gums are they red inflamed puffy? Do his teeth have alot of buildup on them?
Maybe get a pet toothbrush and try to brush gently.
IMO, a cat with chronic kidney disease shouldnt really go under for a cleaning... if he had infected teeth, loose teeth, abscesses teeth... then maybe for extractions... but for just gingivitis? Nah
Its a fancy word for puffy/ irritated gums from plaque buildup...
(im a dentist...)

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try classic fancy feast
Or fancy feast gravies

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I got him some other brands like Sheba but it wasn't his type, also sorry for asking so much but do you know any wet food that isn't chunky but more to like gravy kinda feel?
When we adopted our present cat his teeth were in deplorable condition and he only ate dry food also. We slowly transitioned him over to wet but it took awhile for him to accept it. Like your guy he did not like chunks and since he needed many extractions we chose several different pates, actually 8 - 10 until we hit on the right one. Here's a chart that may have some helpful info. for you:
CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat