Cat with kidney disease -- is he doing okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is rough no question.

Would there be a vet tech who could stop by, stay late at the clinic, or could they suggest someone who might be able to help you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only options they offered when I talked to them was bringing Ashwin into the office for a vet tech appointment, and previous experience tells me they are not willing to stay at the office late, especially not regularly. If they can fit me in on Fridays or Saturdays that would solve one day of the week because I'd be off work, but at the moment, that's not guaranteed. I'm somewhat hopeful that I might be able to take Ashwin in early morning when they are doing surgery dropoffs, but I'm not sure if that would be the case. Still be pretty stressful for me though. :/

I also don't know if there's any chance that maybe if I do this for a few weeks, maybe Ashwin would get used to the situation and eventually cooperate well enough that I could do it myself?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
also don't know if there's any chance that maybe if I do this for a few weeks, maybe Ashwin would get used to the situation and eventually cooperate well enough that I could do it myself?
I think this is a definite possibility.

Granted every cat is different, but if you ask the techs for tips et al, between all of you things just might work, (such as warming the bag of liquid, inserting the needle in different locations in the skin, that sort of thing) :).

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Where I live, there is a huge clinic that is really busy but some of the technicians take side jobs as special needs pet sitters for some extra cash and to help people out. Would it be worth calling around other clinics and telling them your situation and asking if there are any techs who are available to do things like that? Another option is asking your vet, as well as any other vet in the area, if they know of a reliable pet sitter with experience with this sort of situation. They may even know of a tech in the area who is retired and wouldn't mind having a part time side job to help you out. And like Furballs Mom mentioned, after awhile you'll get some tips from them and Ashwin (as you said) might become used to this enough that he doesn't mind it at all!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your and your Ashwin, I do hope he is getting better at the clinic.
I don't know how cooperative and quiet your Ashwin is, but you could be able to give him the fluids he needs once that you use a syring instead of a bag to squeeze.
This is what I did for 10 years with my cat every second night.
If the cat is quiet, you only need one hand.

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll have to ask if that is a possibility! I think I would be able to handle a syringe, I've done steroid shots for other cats before. Did you have to do multiple injections to get the full amount in?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll have to ask if that is a possibility! I think I would be able to handle a syringe, I've done steroid shots for other cats before. Did you have to do multiple injections to get the full amount in?
I would use two 60 ml syringes (actually they are sold as a 50-ml ones, but they can carry up to 60 ml), and a butterfly needle.
I would charge the syringes with RL, then I would start with one, and when the first was over, I would just swap the needle from the noozle, without removing the needle from the skin.
Each syringe would take about 2 minutes to go, so, in about 5 minutes I could give my cat 120 ml, every second night.

EDIT: I live in Italy, and all this stuff was OTC, but it is possible that you might need a prescription for such items depending on where you live.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When we gave our CKD cats sub-q fluids, we NEVER squeezed the bag, we simply hung them up high (from our dining room light) and let gravity do the work. Once we opened up the valve, the lactated ringers would flow quickly and all we had to do was make sure the needle didn't slide out. Many people do give sub-qs all by themselves, but of course it does depend on the cat. I've heard of some cats who will lay on their owners laps while getting them, others who are in those carriers with a top opening, etc. We used to put our cats on a towel on our dining room table with the fluids hanging above them. Some people use the shower curtain rod to hang them and close the bathroom door so the cats can't escape. Here is an entire section from Tanya's Guide on tips for sub-qs: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Tips on Giving Subcutaneous Fluids

All that being said, for our last kidney cat, we did hire a Vet Tech to come to the house to give the fluids. I just called around to all the Vets within a 10mile radius of our home and asked if anyone working there did anything like that, and found someone who lived right around the corner. She came three times a week and did them. It worked out great for all of us and she charged a lot less than the Vet's office would have charged.

I'm hoping maybe Ashwin's potassium is low or something and that is what is causing her weakness issues at the moment. That is a common issue with kidney cats and easily fixed. Keep us posted as you learn more. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think Ashwin will be coming home.

Talked to the vet and went to see him today. He's a little bit improved -- was eating and able to walk a little -- but the vet says his values are not promising and not where they would hope he would be after a full day of IV fluids and treatment. They are going to continue treatment tonight and do bloodwork again in the morning to see if he's where he needs to be, but the vet said that even if things were better tomorrow, he honestly doubts that he will stay that way once he's off the IV.

I guess I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry :(
If it helps, I was told I had to have a cat of mine on steroids forever. The steroids seemed to do more harm than good, so with the help of another vet we weaned him off of them and kept our fingers crossed. He's gone now.........after almost TWO extra years I didn't think he would have once those steroids were out of the picture. I hope you and Ashwin can experience a small miracle as well.

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He’s gone.

i went in to see him this morning. He was so happy to see me, purring and meowing, but he was pretty weak, could barely walk and tried to jump and couldn’t do it.

i wanted to bring him home, but I realized… what was he going to do there if he couldn’t even get around?

The vet said his values actually were worse than when I brought him in and he was only as perky as he was because he was on 4 times the maintenance dose of fluids. If I took him, even with treatment, they estimated he had 48-72 hours.

I didn’t know if it was better to do it now while he was feeling better or wait until he was feeling bad again… I decided to do it now.

I’m heartbroken.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry 😔. It sounds like his problems were just unfixable and I feel like you made the right call, painful as it is. Rest in Peace little Ashwin. ❣

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. You did the bravest and hardest thing to do for Ashwin and you did release him at the right time, while there was still some comfort and happiness. What the vet told you about the high dose of the fluids and the boost it gave him is absolutely true. It is never good, although sometimes we find ourselves in the situation inadvertently, to hang on until the cat has reached a low point and is suffering. You spared Ashwin that.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
When a cat has passed, we lock the original thread out of respect. Your beautiful tribute and thread about Ashwin in Crossing the Bridge will remain open permanently.:redheartpump:

Status
Not open for further replies.