Cat With Hurt Leg

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom's 15.5 year old cat, Whiskers, has managed to hurt her leg pretty significantly. I noticed it last night when she walked by me at eye level and I happened to see blood on her hind leg. She has been acting 100% normal: eating, playing, running around, being annoyingly insistent about wanting attention, jumping on the table, drinking water, etc. Literally nothing was off about her, so when I saw her leg I was surprised because she showed zero pain, no hiding, actively seeking attention and cuddles, etc. I know cats are good at hiding stuff, but wow! That's amazing to me.

The thing is, her vet has no openings through the rest of the week. Additionally, this injury could be the result of seeing another vet that may have knicked her when shaving some hair clumps off her leg, even though that was almost a week ago and this wound looks very fresh, doesn't smell, etc., so that may be coincidental. The vet has walk-in hours on Saturday, so if no openings become available before then (I will call tomorrow morning), I will take her in as early as they will let me.

Is there anything I can do for it in the meantime? Anything I can apply topically? I suspect that they will give her some happy juice, shave the area, and thoroughly clean it, plus either an antibiotic shot or an oral antibiotic regime or both. She is such a tough old cat. She just got over a pretty significant bladder infection about a week ago- poor girl needs a break.

Thank you all for you time and help!

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does the wound look clean and pink? Infected wounds usually have a lot of discharge and are an angry red color. Is there any swelling, any possibility that there is pus collecting underneath the skin? If no, it’s OK to wait a few days, otherwise she needs to be seen sooner.

I’m always surprised by vets who will see patients by appointment only. You are dealing with living beings here, they don’t always do things on schedule. I know there are emergency vets but it’s so much better to be seen by a vet who knows the animal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
It is clean and pink, no smell, no swelling that I can see, and no colored discharge (there is some clear oozing but that's to be expected from any sort of wound, yes?). It is also not actively bleeding. I'm actually so glad she walked in front of me because I literally would have never known it was there!

I agree with you about the vets, but this is a very rural area and there are many, many animals to see. While I am slightly grumpy that they can't work in an established patient, I understand. I can sing them some praise- they have an awesome feral cat program and have fixed three of our semiferals completely free of charge, and I am planning on taking a fourth to them this Friday. They have also been very good with Whiskers with all of her health scares (hyperthyroidism, mouth ulcers, bladder infections, etc.).

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The injury could be from the shaving even if a week ago. It could have been scabbing over and became itchy and perhaps Whiskers is scratching and licking at it, removing the scab.

Neosporin (no pain additives) could be used to help heal it. Or, you can try brewing a chamomile tea bag from the grocery store (they are normally German, you don't want English and you don't want any additives or flavorings). Cool the brewed liquid and then dab it on the injury with a cotton ball multiple times a day. The tea has both soothing and healing properties, and is safe should Whiskers decide to lick it.

The only other concern is if Whiskers is allowed outdoors - she may have gotten the injury outside by something dirty, or could get it infected by going outdoors and getting dirt in it before it is healed.

I, too, am surprised by your vet's office. My vet's office may have no available appointments, but they will generally tell me to come in and wait to be squeezed in. Not ideal, but better than being told no. Many times they end up having an opening with a junior vet.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
I am taking her in tomorrow morning as a drop off and they will work her in as they can. I wish they would have told me that when I called yesterday and I could have dropped her off this morning before class. She is still acting her usual self. I will go see if my store has some chamomile tea when I get out of class. Thank you!

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great that she can be seen by a vet tomorrow. Let us know what they think.

And yes, a clear discharge is normal whenever there is broken skin.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know that particular brand, but if you found it in a grocery store it is more than likely German.

I suppose you could go to Ingles web site and see if you can confirm it through them?

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 - do you think the above tea is OK? Thanks!!!

Last edited:

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad I can take her tomorrow. Today she has been hiding under my bed. She will come out to eat and get some love and then right back under the bed.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Of course, she may just be mad at me because I won't let her go sit in the front flower bed with her leg a hot mess...:whiskers:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or, you can try brewing a chamomile tea bag from the grocery store (they are normally German, you don't want English and you don't want any additives or flavorings)
What's the concern with English (also called Roman) chamomile?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, English catnip is toxic to cats, and don't ask me exactly which chemical in the plant makes it so. I need to do some research and see if I can find out. AND it isn't nearly as useful medicinally as the German variety. That's why I say to use commercially prepared tea bags. The English variety's blossom is actually a bit showier than the German, so it is more popular in gardens, although they are SO similar that it can be very hard for someone to tell them apart.