Cat with greenish discharge, heavily pregnant and seemed to try and have her kittens less than 30 mins ago

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

soninho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah it's normal. My 6 day old litter fight for the same nipple sometimes but I just try to move them to another nipple when they do and I don't know if I am supposed to do that or not but I do.
Another question, when do they actually start like, doing things? As in starting being more active, playing more etc. And to adopt them it's a minimum of 8 weeks correct?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, they fight over nipples, but try to get each kitten on its own nipple. They eventually pick one and that is where they will nurse all the time.

They begin to explore outside the nest around 3 weeks old. They only need a room at this tiny age, not the run of the house.

They cannot regulate their own body temperatures until they are 3 weeks so they must stay in the nest and stay warm.

Kittens should stay with their moms for 12 weeks to learn kitten manners. Eight weeks is very young to re-home, and they need to go to good homes that will vaccinate, spay and neuter.

Check out our articles at the top of the forum to read up on everything about kittens, and read other threads as well. 😊

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
5 weeks or so is when they can get around well and their eyesight is getting good enough to see stuff. That's when they really start making trouble!

Their eyes will start to open somewhere from a week to 10 days usually, but they won't be able to see much.

Apparel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine just hit four weeks and are running around climbing and tackling each other and just started playing with toys while my about to be a week old ones started to open their eyes today though they still can't see anything and just worm around. Don't worry they will be up and stumbling around before you know it!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah it's normal. My 6 day old litter fight for the same nipple sometimes but I just try to move them to another nipple when they do and I don't know if I am supposed to do that or not but I do.
Another tip is to rotate them; half on, half off; these whom had already eaten, may sleep in an extra nice bed nearby... And you rotate them now and then. So everyone gets his share undisturbed.

soninho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine just hit four weeks and are running around climbing and tackling each other and just started playing with toys while my about to be a week old ones started to open their eyes today though they still can't see anything and just worm around. Don't worry they will be up and stumbling around before you know it!
That's nice. I'm excited to be able to play with them, pretty said i'll not be able to keep any :(
I have a last question, I've seen lots of videos of momma cats carrying their kittens around and putting them in random places, does this always happen or is it only some cats? She hasn't moved them at all yet, and they're always in the box. Once they get older, can i expect that kind of behavior from her?

soninho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's nice. I'm excited to be able to play with them, pretty said i'll not be able to keep any :(
I have a last question, I've seen lots of videos of momma cats carrying their kittens around and putting them in random places, does this always happen or is it only some cats? She hasn't moved them at all yet, and they're always in the box. Once they get older, can i expect that kind of behavior from her?
Also - here's a video of the kittens trampling their poor mother:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The video did not work for me, but my mama kitty moved her kittens at the 3-week mark from my daughter’s closet to my bedroom. She was ready for them to begin socializing and leave the nest. They stayed and explored and played in my bedroom for another 2-3 weeks until they were weaned and big enough to come downstairs.

Just take it week by week for now. Weigh the kittens daily to make sure all are gaining well. These early weeks are very important!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You never know what mama will do about moving the kittens. Ages ago, when I was a kid, we had a queen that had it in mind to have her litter in my mom's nightgown drawer. We would try to move her somewhere else, and she'd move back. After the kittens were born, she kept putting them in the drawer. Any attempt to shut her out of the drawer, and she'd make a horrible fuss, scratching at the dresser and wailing. Finally, mom had to take everything out of the drawer and make a proper nest for her. In subsequent litters, my mom just cleared the drawer out beforehand and set it up for the cat.

Others that had litters for us never really minded where they nested. Where we put the nest box--that's where she'd have the kittens.

I do think one decided to have her kittens on the laundry pile in the basement, though.

soninho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thanks for all the advice - I have another question, she seems to be leaving the nest more and more often, is that normal. I really have no experience so anything that seems out of the ordinary is alarming for me lol. Also, she seems to be a bit more vocal ever since she had the kittens, is that normal?

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As long as she doesn't seem to be scared or distressed things are ok. As the kittens get older she may leave for a bit longer. My Queens did that as well as long as shes returning to them every 2-3 hours to feed them everything should be ok. Kittens tend to complain rather loudly if they're not well fed or otherwise uncomfortable/unhappy.