Cat With Four Upper Canine Teeth

mekkababble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my one boy is about 6 months old and has gleaming white teeth. I checked his mouth yesterday and discovered he has two upper canines growing side by side on each side of his mouth (I wanted to get a photo but he isn't cooperating). a couple weeks ago during his vet checkup they made no mention of it and his teeth otherwise look healthy. Should I be worried?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
my one boy is about 6 months old and has gleaming white teeth. I checked his mouth yesterday and discovered he has two upper canines growing side by side on each side of his mouth (I wanted to get a photo but he isn't cooperating). a couple weeks ago during his vet checkup they made no mention of it and his teeth otherwise look healthy. Should I be worried?
I would just monitor it for the next few days. It's normal sometimes for the adult canines to start growing in before the baby ones have fallen out, and this may be what's happening. But, if it goes on for longer than a few days, or if your cat appears to be in pain (won't eat food/lethargic) it may need to be checked by a vet just to make sure there aren't any complications.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mekkababble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A Azazel

Thanks very much. His teeth still look the same (all four for them), but I'm monitoring them to make sure he doesn't have inflamed gums, trouble eating etc. So far so good! I've decided that if it's not bothering him then it's not bothering me.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is a normal part of the teething process. Most of the time the retained canines fall out on their own. If they don't or if they appear inflamed, the vet will do a removal under anesthesia, which is a pretty simple procedure. For now I would just monitor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mekkababble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Right after I posted, I found two teeth on the floor and my boy is back to his normal amount of teeth. They're very long canines so maybe I'll have a vampire kitty! :)