Cat With Eye Tumor

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi -

I have not seen much on these boards about cats with eye tumors I guess because they are so rare. I noticed a cloudy eye on my girl abut 7 months ago and kept taking her to the doctor.

They kept having me give antibiotics and said she was fine. I would bring her back and say she wasn't it was still cloudy. Finally I just to her to the emergency room and we got her seen by an ophthalmologist. The diagnosis was anterior uveitis and 19 drops a days. We did this for 4 weeks it seemed to stabilize but they changed up the meds. She seemed to be getting worse, so I took her to another ophthalmologist, for a second opinion before having her eye removed. The new ophthalmologist believes it is lymphoma tumor. Until this day she is showing NO signs of anything else being wrong. She is eating and even gained 2 ounces between appointments. She is racing around the house like regular cat crazies, her litter box shows no signs of anything off and she is not throwing up. She only hides because she knows she will be getting medicine but once she gets it she hangs out with the kittens, my husband and I. That is why it is hard to believe she is unhealthy in other way.

So tomorrow she is going in for cancer tests. It is extra difficult because I know if she has it then I have to made a hard decision, because for her to live we have to have her eye removed - it is swelling too much. We could put her through that only to hear she has 6 weeks. So half of her remaining time is will be spent recovering from eye surgery. I can't do that to her. She is a skittish kitty to begin with, so I know I wrote a lot I guess I just had to get it out. We lost her brother 8 months ago to chylothorax and now this weird thing. It makes me wonder what I could be doing wrong to have such an odd thing happen like that so close together.

Please say a little prayer for my girl Darci she helped me through my single years and has been by my side while adjusted to marriage. My husband is a police officer and she comforts me when I worry about him on the street and I really don't want to lose her.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Massive positive vibes from me. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Some years ago one of my first cats was found to have tumours across her retinas. I didn't know much about cat health then and had not noticed any signs that she was unwell or anything. Like you describe, she was running and jumping and bouncing about like normal. She was nearly 18 but was as active and agile as she had been at a year. She didn't see a vet regularly because she had a phobia of vets and, unless she was seriously ill, and they managed any problems she had over the phone. Looking back, her eyes did change and started to remain dilated but I didn't think much of it. When she suddenly stopped responding to anything I knew there was a critical neurological problem. When I rushed her to the vet the young agency vet didn't know what was happening. I was told to bring her back in 3 days as it was Christmas eve. Like you, it was an opthalmologist who happened to be on duty when I went back. He immediately told me her retinas were covered with tiny tumours. Sadly for my baby girl, the lack of any treatment earlier in her cancer meant the tumours had spread in to her brain and I had to say good bye.

You are doing the best thing for your girl, noticing something wasn't right early on, and continuing to go back to the vet to get it resolved. You know her and in your heart I am sure you will know what the best decision for her will be. Enjoy every moment you have with her before you go back to the vet, and listen to everything she says. Feel it in your heart and you will be following her wishes. :vibes:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Please say a little prayer for my girl Darci she helped me through my single years and has been by my side while adjusted to marriage. My husband is a police officer and she comforts me when I worry about him on the street and I really don't want to lose her.
Prayers being sent your way for Darci along with special thoughts and healing vibes. :vibes::vibes: Your devotion to her is remarkable, best wishes. :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the kind words and sharing your story. Darci had a sonogram and an x-ray done this morning. We are waiting on the results from the radiologist. The doctor did say she looked clear in her abdomen and lungs and that was a really good sign. We still have to wait for her radiology report to come back tonight or tomorrow so I am still holding my breath for me to be able to exhale. I never thought I would feel good about having her eye removed but her being an alive one eyed cat would be good with me right now.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending you guys my best wishes for good news! Hopefully there is no cancer. I know many cats do great with one eye, or even blind. So yes, a one eyed cat would be awesome in her case!

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and Darci. I can relate to your anxieties and fears having heard a feline cancer diagnosis three times. While I have not had experience with an eye tumor, I have dealt with a lung tumor and a bladder tumor, both rare in cats.

The fear of the unknown is the worst...your mind runs in every direction. The best advice I can give you is to get as much information as possible. Consult with a good Oncologist who can explain your options...from most aggressive to least aggressive treatments.

I can tell you though that a cat with cancer CAN have a good quality of life. As my Oncologist said, "YOU know she has cancer, SHE does not". Your goal is to keep her that way.

The fact that the abdomen and lungs are clear is indeed a very good sign. That would suggest that it is at least manageable with surgery and/or treatments.

I am thinking lots of positive thoughts for Darci...and for you too! And please thank your devoted husband for all he does putting his life on the line daily for the safety of his community.

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and Darci. I can relate to your anxieties and fears having heard a feline cancer diagnosis three times. While I have not had experience with an eye tumor, I have dealt with a lung tumor and a bladder tumor, both rare in cats.

The fear of the unknown is the worst...your mind runs in every direction. The best advice I can give you is to get as much information as possible. Consult with a good Oncologist who can explain your options...from most aggressive to least aggressive treatments.

I can tell you though that a cat with cancer CAN have a good quality of life. As my Oncologist said, "YOU know she has cancer, SHE does not". Your goal is to keep her that way.

The fact that the abdomen and lungs are clear is indeed a very good sign. That would suggest that it is at least manageable with surgery and/or treatments.

I am thinking lots of positive thoughts for Darci...and for you too! And please thank your devoted husband for all he does putting his life on the line daily for the safety of his community.
Thank you! Need list to say I am really hoping it comes back all clear because she is a difficult girl to take to the vet. She behaves incredibly while she is there, they did not even have to sedate her for her test because she is so afraid but she certainly makes it well known she is not happy on the way there and on the way home. My husband works in Baltimore so he sees some of the worst stuff but overall the people of good people who appreciate them being there. I still got a little nervous until he walks back in the door.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
' "YOU know she has cancer, SHE does not". Your goal is to keep her that way. '

I love that thought B babiesmom5 . It is so important to stay calm and not stress our cats with all our human worries, and this is a great foundation for that.

darcifinn darcifinn It is great news that Darci's lungs and abdomen look clear and I am busy wishing for you all that everything else is too. :vibes::vibes::vibes: She must know how precious and loved she is and this is going to help her get through everything that comes her way.

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
' "YOU know she has cancer, SHE does not". Your goal is to keep her that way. '

I love that thought B babiesmom5 . It is so important to stay calm and not stress our cats with all our human worries, and this is a great foundation for that.

darcifinn darcifinn It is great news that Darci's lungs and abdomen look clear and I am busy wishing for you all that everything else is too. :vibes::vibes::vibes: She must know how precious and loved she is and this is going to help her get through everything that comes her way.
I agree that is a great way to look at it. I am going to work on not bursting into tears for everyone’s sanity. I am not sure if I think the worry makes it easier if I get bad news but it never has in the past. I appreciate all the encouragement you know it is obvious what they say people who own cats are smarter :)

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So we did not hear back from the radiologist but Darci started have blood spotting under her eye so she scheduled for enucleation tomorrow. I’m not sure if it’s the area or that the ophthalmologist is excellent but it is about $2500. I guess I can only thank God for the fact that the money is not the biggest worry I have.

I know this is the right move because we’ve been trying to fix her eye for eight months and it’s only getting worse. I thought they would keep her overnight but we can pick her up tomorrow I’m not sure if I feel better or worse about that but I’m going to think happy thoughts. I am scared but trying not to focus on it.

She can’t eat after the next 90 minutes so I’m going to give her all her favorite food topped with bonito tuna flakes and a side of gabapedin to keep her calm tonight. Oh and a Xanax for me!

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lots of positive thoughts are going out for Darci tomorrow. You are doing all you can for her. Stay strong Mom!

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is home and happier than she has been in awhile. Once she’s better and work through this ordeal I’m going to write up for people who have to face this. She came home and asked for something to eat right away and one kittens started cuddling her and bathed her. She didn’t complain she just purred and then she got down and played a little. I feel much better than I did yesterday and obviously she does too!

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, that is wonderful news! I am sure Darci is thrilled to be back home in her own environment...and you are too!
Darci came through like a champ...and is ready to get on with her life. All here will be rooting for this sweet girl to make a speedy recovery...and she will, with your help!
Give Darci some extra love from me tonight.

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, that is wonderful news! I am sure Darci is thrilled to be back home in her own environment...and you are too!
Darci came through like a champ...and is ready to get on with her life. All here will be rooting for this sweet girl to make a speedy recovery...and she will, with your help!
Give Darci some extra love from me tonight.
Thank you. For anyone going through eye removal know that my although it was only done 13 hours ago my 13 year old girl did really well. I think it was harder on me than her.

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Shoot I almost forgot we still don’t know what caused her eye damage. They are going to send it out and we should know in 10 days I’m hoping for a not scary answer.

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
53AA8B40-CE67-4A2C-9010-B4AAFD66833F.jpeg
Just wanted to update this in case anyone searches in the future. I think this is a rare condition and wish I had had read something positive from someobe who had experiences it. It turned out to be an orbital sarcoma, but they said they got clean margins. We’re still hoping and praying that it does not metastasize as it stands now she seems to be doing very well. We opted not to have chemo because it is not proven to be effective if it had spread. Her last xrays and sonogram were clean. So her surgery was 98 days ago, I’m not sure when I will stop worrying. The doctor told me typically within 90 days but up to 5 months you will see signs if it has spread. I guess I will keep holding my breath a little longer.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Darci is beautiful! Black kitties are so elegant! I’m so glad she is doing well after her enucleation and that you haven’t seen any signs of cancer. Sending her healing vibes.

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Darci is beautiful! Black kitties are so elegant! I’m so glad she is doing well after her enucleation and that you haven’t seen any signs of cancer. Sending her healing vibes.
Thanks she is my old girl! If you look in the background you can see my new black kitten. Never sure how people can be suspicious of black cats!

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Once again giving an update as this is a rare condition. I am hoping to help anyone else that faces it.

It has been almost 4 months and we had a scan due to her coughing. The dr said she has very mild asthma but no cancer. She said not signs of metastization, so if you hear ocular sarcoma as a diagnosis know their can be a good outcome.