Cat with excess drool.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This cutie pie ran up to me about two wks ago. Couldnt get her out of the cold and into the house until today. So glad because the temp tonight is a bone chilling 40 degree with gusts. Anyhow, shes very affectionate but i noticed her
Mouth is wet and she drools a little bit. Not too much but when she flicked her head the spits flew. Not a pretty sight i know. Is this notmal? Ive never seen anything like it.
22DB5D9B-F4DA-4778-8A29-14121ED20D23.jpeg
22DB5D9B-F4DA-4778-8A29-14121ED20D23.jpeg
9BFF55AC-8451-443C-8D6E-EB0C7BEFD646.jpeg

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, thank you for helping this little one.

Usually drooling is a sign of dental or mouth problems. Could be an infection or just general tooth problems or something more like she was clipped by a car an broke her jaw (extreme example). Best course is a vet as soon as possible, there is not a home treatment option once a cat gets to the drooling stage with mouth issues and won't self resolve at this stage. Until then, feed soft foods with the assumption that her mouth is painful and she won't be eating.

Edit to add, some cats do drool while kneading when they are completely zoned out. Kind of like a person who drools in their sleep. So if it is only situational, not an emergency but still would advise a vet check.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She eats like a champ so i dont think anything is wrong withe her mouth/jaws. Maybe it's a deformity or habit since birth, idk. I looked her over again the droolings went down significantly, just a little damp around her whiskers. Thanks!

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had cats with dental issues and drooling was one of the major signs. A cat can eat food (even dry food) with no teeth and they can still eat even with bad teeth (they will find away if determined to eat) so do not assume that because the cat is eating she is in the clear with dental issues. This kitty needs to see a vet. Thank you for taking her in so she doesn't have to spend another day in the cold. Thank you for having a ❤.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed on it possibly being due to mouth problems, one of the Cats I fostered drooled a lot and it turned out to be stomatitis. She also ate well but her mouth was a mess.

You should take her to get checked by a vet anyway, if she was running around outside she most likely is infested with roundworm and probably has fleas.

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How did the vet visit go? I had to have a dear cat euthanized for drooling as the vet said it was a cancerous tumor that she said was caught in early stage but no cure.

I have had 3 cats need teeth removed, all my cats were trapped for TNR as stray or feral so not a healthy background. Each surgery cost $1000!!!!! Hope your kitty did better.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah. Drool can be benign like happiness, correctable like dental issues, or a sign of something terminal like an oral cancer. You just don't know without a vet visit.

I see this thread is almost a month old now. We're eager for updates. How is she doing now?

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unexpected joys! So glad she is doing well, as are her babies. Are you going to keep them or have homes for them? She knew what she was doing when she picked you to save her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I'm going to get the mother spayed soon and the kittens in a few wks. I found a home for one of the kitten. I'm so glad i took her in a few weeks before the last snow storm and she delivered 3 days later.

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I suspect she was dumped when the pregnancy was noticed, she obviously is not feral. Hate to say what I think of people that do things like that..