Cat with clear mucus poop

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today my cat began vomiting and passing clear mucus poop. A trip to the vet revealed a clear abdominal x-ray, no fever, no other signs of illness. Vet gave and antinausea shot and sent us home Science Diet Biome food. Kitty will not eat other than a few licks of the food (new or old). He has been sleeping mostly, but will purr and doesn't seem terribly unhappy. I am supposed to call the vet back tomorrow with a report. Any ideas of what this could be?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'm not sure, but try some things in this thread and see if you can get food in to him :)

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi texasrose !

What, exactly, did you mean by "clear mucus poop" ?

Vomit, by definition, will always contain mucous. Extreme amounts of mucus in saliva (and, I suppose, by extension, vomit) would likely indicate that the cat had ingested something (at least) 'foreign', certainly foul-tasting and possibly toxic.

Here's a tidbit from the 'Oracle' of everything "poop":
Mucous merits an additional word. Mucous is not digestible so even excessive swallowed mucous from an upper respiratory condition might conceivably be recognized in/on the stool. Mucous membrane lines the entire digestive tract, including the large intestine, membrane constantly producing mucous to one extent or another. So poop always contains mucous and is coated in mucous. Mucous membrane lines the upper respiratory tract, too, also constantly producing mucous to protect and lubricate itself, trap incoming foreign particles, and act as the frontline in immune function. Mucous from the upper respiratory tract continuously flows down the throat unnoticed and is swallowed, by ourselves and cats and dogs and other creatures with noses. Mucous is normal, chronic excessive production is not. We notice when production is excessive but do not tend to notice normal production.​

From experience, I'd say the Vet did as I would have expected for a cat of mine.

I'd be watching him like a hawk over the next 24 hours (with fingers crossed, of course!)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry kitty is sick! :alright: A lot of things can cause this. The key right now is following up with the vet, trying to keep him hydrated and nourished. It’s good that you are able to comfort him enough to get him to purr. You’re a great kitty guardian!
Make sure kitty does not have access to any plants, household products, cleaning supplies etc. Cats can be attracted to things we never dreamed they would eat, drink or chew on. I once had a cat lick a freshly mopped floor. I was just a child at the time and I did stop him but not before he had ingested enough to get sick. He recovered but we were lucky. I learned a valuable lesson from that. I do my best to keep everything away from them. It can happen in the blink of an eye. Something like that can cause excess mucous to be expelled.
Just watch for other symptoms. Sneezing, coughing, lethargy, warm ears, watery eyes, strong smelling or strong colored urine, urinating a lot or not enough, not drinking or drinking excessively, etc. Any changes at all. I always try to write everything down to tell the vet so I don’t forget anything when I do get to talk to them. I hope kitty will quickly recover from whatever is causing this. Please post back and let us know how you and kitty are doing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. There isn't really anything of value that I can add to the suggestions/comments from those above. But, I did want to point out that purring can be a sign of self-consoling as easily as it can be an indicator of a contented cat. So, he is likely purring because he doesn't feel well.

Is he doing any better now?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat appears to be all better now. The vet has no idea what caused him to be so sick for 24 hours, but he seems to be back to his normal self. Thanks!
I'm glad to hear he's better! Is there any chance he ate part of a plant? One of our cats did that and had the same symptoms -- including the clear mucous "poop." We didn't know what had happened until a few days later when we found a small and dried-up mound of very real poop that was also very green. We're pretty certain she'd eaten part of a plant. (After that we either threw away or "caged" our plants: I think they were all non-toxic but cats have sensitive guts and this was an expensive vet visit!)