Cat with anxiety (?)

brownishing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I'm back again after posting few threads here.

So I've always been a dog person untill i had to move out from my family house (i had to leave my dogs) and live with my parents, there were a lot of strays in the area.

This one adult female cat is always came into my house to sleep for a nap(?) but she didn't stay for a night. She liked to explore the area until one day she came and i realized she was pregnant.

I couldn't keep her because every 2 weks i have to leave my house and leave out of town with my parents so there was nobody around.

Long story short she gave birth and a month later i jokingly said, "bring your babies here I'd like to see them."

And voila she bought her 5 babies to my house, and it later revealed that she gave birth inside my rooftops because the children were always came out from it.

A month later a neighbor told somebody who just lost their cats that i have 6 of them here so they came here and adopted 2.

2 weeks later 3 of them were gone and we believed they got kidnapped because one day one of them came home but with so much fear in his eyes, i tried to get close to him and eventually he grew close to me and my parents.

I noticed his anxiety (?) later when everytime there was a loud car noise or loud people talking he'd ran away and up to hide in my rooftops, or when my relatives or neighbors came to visit, he would hide, even when there was a monkey that escaped and people dressed as clowns with weird faces (here our people get money from it)

Anyways after leaving her 5 babies here the female cat never came back, but she always around. I mean i feel like she left them on purpose and had a feeling that I'd took care of them.

Five days ago i moved from my old house, at that time i already have two cats because i rescued another stray, it's a she, and the mom was nowhere.

She is fine and easily adapted with the new environment while my male cat seemed very stressed, he meowed so loud and sniffing around, he eats lesser than before

Any suggestions? Or somebody maybe can explain his behaviors better to me?

Thank you in advance :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your male was very traumatized, it may have been a dog attack, etc. and his brother and sister were killed. He hid for a while before finding his way back to you. Or a person chased them far away, etc,. it's really hard to say, but SOMETHING bad happened. First, are both of them neutered? If not, getting them neutered would help them settle down much more quickly. Especially the male. Some cats are just more shy than others. It takes weeks for some to settle into a new house, you can't let them outside for at least 4 weeks, or they will try to find their way back to their old home. I keep mine in 6 weeks. My cats are all strictly indoors now, there are just too many dangers outside. Mine also hide when company comes or a stranger comes around, I have to bring them food and water when the company is there for days. As long as they have you around and you comfort them, they will adapt, it just takes much longer for cats, they absolutely hate change. I wish you well and hope others come on to help too! Bless you for giving them a home.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's possible your male cat will always be more of a "scared-y cat" due to whatever traumatized him. However, it also isn't unusual for a cat to be stressed when first moving into a new home. So it may be that once he is more comfortable he'll relax.

Here's a TCS article on Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles that you might find helpful.

Also, as long as he's eating some, it's probably fine, but do check with your vet if he doesn't eat anything at all for more than a day or so.

18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members – TheCatSite Articles

How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles
Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous? – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brownishing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your male was very traumatized, it may have been a dog attack, etc. and his brother and sister were killed. He hid for a while before finding his way back to you. Or a person chased them far away, etc,. it's really hard to say, but SOMETHING bad happened. First, are both of them neutered? If not, getting them neutered would help them settle down much more quickly. Especially the male. Some cats are just more shy than others. It takes weeks for some to settle into a new house, you can't let them outside for at least 4 weeks, or they will try to find their way back to their old home. I keep mine in 6 weeks. My cats are all strictly indoors now, there are just too many dangers outside. Mine also hide when company comes or a stranger comes around, I have to bring them food and water when the company is there for days. As long as they have you around and you comfort them, they will adapt, it just takes much longer for cats, they absolutely hate change. I wish you well and hope others come on to help too! Bless you for giving them a home.
Ah thank you very much. I think he behaved like this is because my old neighborhood had a lot of children running and they often chase cats for fun, i think he got scared from that and from the time when he and his two other siblings got kidnapped. for the dog attack is out of question bcs i live in indonesia, there weren't many dogs here, a lot of cats tho. and in my area nobody has any dogs.

both of them have not been neutered yet, i still couldn't find the perfect time yet, but i think I'll neutered them both soon, given the circumstances they are currently in.

thank you for the advices and explanation!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brownishing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's possible your male cat will always be more of a "scared-y cat" due to whatever traumatized him. However, it also isn't unusual for a cat to be stressed when first moving into a new home. So it may be that once he is more comfortable he'll relax.

Here's a TCS article on Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles that you might find helpful.

Also, as long as he's eating some, it's probably fine, but do check with your vet if he doesn't eat anything at all for more than a day or so.

18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members – TheCatSite Articles

How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles
Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous? – TheCatSite Articles
thank you very much! I'll read the articles, i hope he gets comfortable soon :(