Cat with allergies.

valexis10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

My one cat has allergies (ear get super gunky, massive pimples on her chin/lips that will pop and turn into sores, explosive vomiting and diarrhea).

I’m trying to find a cat food dry kibble that is grain free, fish (and fish oil!) free, and that doesn’t have turkey that is available in Canada. I’ve got three cats that are free fed so I’m hoping for a bag that lasts more than a month (10lbs doesn’t lastmonth).

I’ve tried the performatin ultra limited ingredient and there was something in it that caused my other cat to break out with massive pimples and ear gunk. I’ve tried the 3 pet stores in my city and there was nothing that didn’t have fish oil or fish meal other than First Mate chicken and blueberries but it only comes in a small bag.

Thank you!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, and Welcome!

Are you certain the cause of your cat's problems is allergies?

A vet diagnosed this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valexis10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. I am sure my cats problem is allergies. We have spent a lot of money at the vets for treatment and testing over the years which is why I said allergic which is not something to joke about. We are extremely careful to make sure that even the dog food we get is safe in case the cat gets any of it and that there’s nothing left out that they can’t eat.

I am just asking for food kibble suggestions which I thought this subsection of the forum was for as it is cat nutrition but I’m new to forums sorry.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have no reason to apologize! My lovely tuxedo cat, Thirteen, used to have terrible poultry allergies. She was raw fed rabbit for years. Thankfully as she got older those allergies subsided. I feed only wet so I'm afraid I can't advise you on dry food. My first thought was Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein but I looked and it has fish oil in it.

Someone much more familiar with dry food will come along.

Best of luck to you and, again, welcome to TCS!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Advice anyone? Surely someone out there has an allergic cat and feeds dry, no?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valexis10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You have no reason to apologize! My lovely tuxedo cat, Thirteen, used to have terrible poultry allergies. She was raw fed rabbit for years. Thankfully as she got older those allergies subsided. I feed only wet so I'm afraid I can't advise you on dry food. My first thought was Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein but I looked and it has fish oil in it.

Someone much more familiar with dry food will come along.

Best of luck to you and, again, welcome to TCS!
thank you! They do get wet food in the evening as a treat but they get kibble the rest of the time because otherwise they’ll go for the dog food. I don’t do raw because not sure how it’ll work with multiple cats and a lot of the cat raw foods has salmon oil in it. Plus, 2 of the 3 will not eat shredded, chunky, or gravy wet food, only pate with a little bit of water.

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an allergic cat to something. He over grooms, chew and pulls out his fur on extremities. He’s already had a steroid shot. This time around he seems to be losing weight, also. My two cats are free fed grain free whole hearted easy digestion with chicken and egg—but our next exclusion from diet will be chicken for one of my cats. So, right they’re eating Acana grain and poultry free wild caught fish dry food. I have another vet appt next week to hopefully give us some answers. This is a very frustrating process for our cat and us. 😩

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't anymore. But I do have a cat that is allergic to fish as well and I used to feed him both instinct limited ingredient and the nulo limited ingredient from petsmart. I have no idea of their availability in Canada though. Also, is your cat allergic to turkey or do they just not like it? Because a lot of the time turkey allergies accompany chicken allergies as well, but I've found it's much easier/cheaper to find chicken dry food without grain and fish oil.

Anyway, Instinct has a rabbit formula with no fish or grains that my cat really liked. It's really expensive though.

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I second the instinct rabbit dry kibble. There’s no chicken or fish or fish oils in it. Without a doubt, My cat has a turkey and chicken allergy. Though since her reaction was resolved (thank goodness) I haven’t tried to see if she’s allergic to fish or beef since those are the other two common food allergy culprits. I’ve also feed her vital essential freeze dried duck which went well too. I’m gonna switch to kiwi pets air dried lamb next week bc vital essential is too pricy for us for the long run. I’m not sure if these are available in Canada but thought I share anyways. Also you probably are not gonna find many or any dry kibble without chicken or fish in it that is budget friendly - if so please share bc I’ve been looking for two months and have been unsuccessful. Her PCP wanted to put her on a vet diet which is $50/3 lbs of food and her Derm said she was fine on limited diet food which is right now $20/4.5 lbs. fortunately the Derm was right, so I’m saving a bit of money but I’ve accepted that she’s just gonna be a little pricey compared to the average cat- but this is a better deal than all those vet bills I was paying previously when they misdiagnosed her for 2 months. Good luck!

Crazycatwmn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
im not sure of my cats allergiesseems like it’s everything. shes on Essence ranch & meadow, and Stella & chewy rabbit right now until I get her results back. I’ve tried instinct rabbit but she kept getting semi diarrhea on her fur and her poop smelled like death.