Cat with aggression

Mackenzie Elizabeth M.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pls forgive me if this post is a little All over the place, I just got home from a funeral. Also,I’ve had another account but I honestly can’t remember my information to it. So I made this one.I was wanting to not have to make this post as I’ve made it before on other groups. But recently with certain issues that have risen I decided I should just to have some more advice. The cat we are talking about is named Candy. Exact ancestry is unknown, but her mom was small, and white with blue eyes and rosettes(that was the description I was given). She was from a backyard breeder and her mom and her were kept in a crate. She was the only kitten, and dad is unknown. They said she would be a good therapy/emotional support pet. She was 5 weeks when we got her.
I will start from the beginning so you know where I’m coming from
I will also post pictures so you can see the cat we are discussing.
We got her at the end of 2019, around December 20th. My boyfriends mom made a reservation for a solid white dsh (he already had a black cat and he wanted like yin and yang). She was the only kitten. Don’t know where she found the listing or who she got her from.
About a month after she made the reservation, his mom was diagnosed with a terminal illness, and given 3 months. We were prepared for a kitten before that (also I will add we are both 18 so we still live with our parents, so I don’t see candy everyday but I’m over about half the week).
Candy wasn’t allowed completely free roam because his mom had a bag, and candy kept tearing it. And because of that candy unfortunately couldn’t be around his mom, or his grandfather. That environment definitely shouldn’t be what a kitten is raised in, they should be able to be around everyone. That part is our fault.
She wasn’t aggressive as a kitten, it all started after she got spayed.
She went from only scratching when she got upset, to leaping across the room with her teeth and claws out.

I will go into a list of her behaviors/traits.
•she will leap off of any high surface onto his cousin or her cat as a surprise attack
•she really likes bread, she kept getting into it. We had to put it in the cabinet but she immediately learned how to open it.
•one time his cousin came in to get him because candy had “beat up” his black cat, sugar. I walked out to see what was going on, and sugar was under a chair staring at the wall, and she was shaking horribly. Candy was just staring at her growling. Had to get treats to separate them.
•she will circle his cousins cat and stalk her around the house, as well as occasionally attacking. So far she hasn’t bitten anyone but has scarred his cousin.
•she will “wall jump” (she will also climb the wall occasionally, but she has a hard time digging her nails in the wall because of the material)
•she is 16lbs currently and not done growing, vets think she will be about 25lbs full grown.
•she loves to barge into the bathroom when you close the door, so the door opens up wide
•she has Some wicked jumping skills, and has the hiss of a cute little snake

Candy isn’t aggressive with me or my boyfriend, she will greet me with head butts or nose boops.

Of all the breeds people have mentioned she could be mixed with, only a few are even possible, I say that because there are breeders nearby. My best guess is part Bengal, given the glittery coat, her moms description, and of course, there are breeders. People have mentioned Savannah Siamese and Maine coon. There are breeders of those breeds nearby, in fact a Savannah cattery less than 30 minutes from my house. But that’s not me saying I think she is part any of those breeds. I don’t know much about cats. And it’s not the same as guessing the breed of a dog.
I would love to hear what everyone has to say, I’m a dog person so I’m used to training dogs, not cats. So any and all advice is appreciated
If you need any information just ask
Also I apologize for the long post thank you for taking the time to read it

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I read through your post twice but I am still a little confused so a few questions.

Candy lives with your boyfriend and his family? Does the cousin and his black cat live there as well or do they just visit? Are there any other cats that live in the same house with Candy? Perhaps the orange in the picture?

As far as what kind of cat she is, I don’t see any Bengal. She looks to be a domestic short hair brown tabby.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would say most of those behaviours are normal for a young cat. My own, who is just over 1 year old, does a lot of the things you mentioned. It sounds like playful manner. The only real aggressive trait, IMO, is the way she treats Sugar. It could be a dominance issue, or even territorial, or perhaps she is just bored. A calming diffuser may help to lower tension. I would also recommend making sure their feed stations are at separate ends of the house, as well as their litter boxes. Plenty of hiding places so Sugar can escape is a good idea too. It also sounds like Candy has some energy to burn. Extra play sessions, with a cat fly or one of her favourite toys, may tire her out enough that she doesn't feel the need to beat up Sugar so often. When she does attack Sugar, distract her with treats or toys, and then separate them by placing Candy in a room with yourself or your boyfriend, have a play session or cuddle for a little while and then let her back out. Hope this helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mackenzie Elizabeth M.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I read through your post twice but I am still a little confused so a few questions.

Candy lives with your boyfriend and his family? Does the cousin and his black cat live there as well or do they just visit? Are there any other cats that live in the same house with Candy? Perhaps the orange in the picture?

As far as what kind of cat she is, I don’t see any Bengal. She looks to be a domestic short hair brown tabby.
I know what you mean, she does look like an average tabby just with an asymmetrical pattern. His cousin,dad,older cousin, grandfather, and his cousins boyfriend. There are 4 cats in the house, I don’t live with him but I visit a lot. The orange one is named pumpkin she is the youngest, I will say candy has definitely been less aggressive since pumpkin has been there. While she won’t attack just anyone anymore she does target his cousin, and grandfather which is the reason I made this post. It just can’t happen to his grandfather because he has recently been diagnosed with cancer and the radiation makes him sorta weak. I just don’t want him getting hurt. Currently we just try to keep them separated if she gets to wound up. I might be making to big of a deal out of it, but I don’t want it getting out of hand. I have a dog at my moms house who has neurological issues, she’s 42 lbs and attacked my moms mini dorkie, and ended up paralyzing her for a week. So I guess I’m just worried.

Mackenzie Elizabeth M.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I also wanted to add, mainly cause I’m wandering if there is anything that can help it. She will run around the house in the middle of the night screaming. Wakes most everyone up

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Trying to figure out what is causing the aggression could help. Are most of the attacks in a certain room or near windows? Could strange animals be causing redirected aggression? Does BF cousin work or visit in places with animals or unusual smells? Would cousin be willing to shower as soon as he gets home to test that theory? Candy probably smells the illness/medication on Grandpa and that might set her off.

Has she been to the vet recently or someone called to discuss her change in personality after surgery? Does she trust anyone enough to let you to gently check her whole body for pain?

If it's safe in your area, try harness training and taking her for walks to work off some energy. Your BF could also look into clicker training.

How is Sugar general stress level. Is she nervous even when not being attacked? Playing one on one with her might help.

Currently we just try to keep them separated if she gets to wound up
Use that to teach her Good Crazies. Distract her with a string toy and either lead her out of the room of have the human she's after leave. Use the toy to get her running and leaping until she's tired. Then give her treat and love. Does your BF have a Kickeroo? They're great to throw for distraction. I keep one out and one in a bag of catnip in the closet.

Mackenzie Elizabeth M.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Trying to figure out what is causing the aggression could help. Are most of the attacks in a certain room or near windows? Could strange animals be causing redirected aggression? Does BF cousin work or visit in places with animals or unusual smells? Would cousin be willing to shower as soon as he gets home to test that theory? Candy probably smells the illness/medication on Grandpa and that might set her off.

Has she been to the vet recently or someone called to discuss her change in personality after surgery? Does she trust anyone enough to let you to gently check her whole body for pain?

If it's safe in your area, try harness training and taking her for walks to work off some energy. Your BF could also look into clicker training.

How is Sugar general stress level. Is she nervous even when not being attacked? Playing one on one with her might help.

Use that to teach her Good Crazies. Distract her with a string toy and either lead her out of the room of have the human she's after leave. Use the toy to get her running and leaping until she's tired. Then give her treat and love. Does your BF have a Kickeroo? They're great to throw for distraction. I keep one out and one in a bag of catnip in the closet.
She only really leaves to help my bfs dad at work, but I’ll ask her to do that I’m sure she will be willing. Most of the attacks towards his cousins cat, Jynx, are outside of his room.
Not any specific places that she attacks his cousin, she will do that anywhere. I’m sure candy can sense her fear (and energy, she is very energetic) as well, which doesn’t help.

Candy’s favorite toys are rattly balls and laser pointers. She goes through a lot of rattly balls, I’ll walk into the house and there will be, many, strewn across the house either broken or pushed inwards. She will search the whole house until she finds the laser pointer, then pick it up and bring it over to him or I.
She also loves fetch, and will play for hours straight. So toys and treats are a great way to distract her.

Sugar is actually very easy going. Jynx is uptight but stays to herself most of the time. And Pumpkin is still very much a kitten, she annoys Candy a lot, but candy can just jump on the cupboards to get away, pumpkin cannot jump high at all.

Ill mention clicker training and, while I’d love to train her to use the harness, but his neighborhood isn’t safe. Many people get in trouble for dealing with drugs on that road, and it’s a very typical curvy country back road. Locals take the road like it’s a nascar race track, So there is always some type of roadkill, sadly.

We didn’t ask the vets when she got spayed, which was when she was about 5 or 6 months. The vets said that it should help with aggression or any “issues” she was having. Though I just thought she was frisky, as most female cats in heat are. The day she got spayed, it’s like you could just see it in her eyes. That’s the day everything changed.

she went from being a sweet kitten that would wake you up in the middle of the night purring and preening, to being very temperamental with anyone other than him and myself. His dad would approach to give pets, and without any warning would jump up and scratch his face.

at first with his cousin it was just jumping at her from out of nowhere, or climbing her. But she has started treating his cousin and Jynx the same way, circling/stalking them. She has started trying to bite but each time they catch her before she gets to his cousin, so the most she has currently are a lot of scratch marks and scars.
we’ve tried playing with her more, but she only wants to play on her terms. When she plays she gets crazy. Her and pumpkin have broken very many curtain rods(luckily the are the ones you can put back together). Those two wreak havoc in their wake.
she trusts me and my bf a lot and let’s us pet her all the time. In fact she refuses to eat sometimes if she isn’t being pet. She hasn’t shown any signs of being in pain so far.
He doesn’t have a kickeroo and I honestly didn’t know what that is until now. I’ll have to look into getting one.

Mackenzie Elizabeth M.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yup, same here, both my boys are basically elephants. Sounds like endless energy!
Hello again, hope you’re having a good day!
What type of oils would you recommend for the diffuser? He likes citrus but I don’t think that’s calming or safe for cats.