Cat With A „dent“ In His Eye

Svenja_hel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey you guys,
my cat has had an eye problem since I think two days ago. At first I noticed that he kept squinting his left eye, but nothing more, so I thought it was just some kind of light sensitivity. Then I realized it is a little red, the left eye seems to be darker than the right. He is not showing any other symptoms besides the squinting and doesn’t seem to be in pain. I was a little worried and got him eye drops which are supposed to help against any kind of eye soreness.
Then this morning I looked him in the eyes from a right angle and saw that he has some kind of dent in his left eye ball, as if a little chunk was missing. I managed to take a photo so please have a look.
As it’s Sunday I’ll see the vet tomorrow, but does anyone have any advise or had to deal with something like this before?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks like it could be an ulcer to me. I would definitely take him to the vets to find the cause.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Svenja_hel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why would you think it’s an ulcer? It’s not „on top“ of his eye, the dent is bent inwards not outwards...

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because when an ulcer is deep it weakens the eye and will leave an indentation like this and can eventually perforate if not treated.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bigger and deeper they get the more likely the cat will have to lose its eye. Never mess around with eye stuff :thumbsup:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks exactly like the indentation one of my cats had and that was an ulcer. It was treated with antibiotic eye drops

Svenja_hel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They’re homeopathic and perfect to prevent inflammations, in people and animals. Had them before, used them before, never caused any harm.
Don’t you guys think it’s possible that he’s gotten one of his brother‘s claws into his eye and that’s where the little wound comes from?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Doubtful, that would look more like a scratch. It really is identical to the mark my cat had. Please take him to the vet, the quicker its treated the better.

Svenja_hel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ll do that first thing in the morning! Thank you!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They’re homeopathic and perfect to prevent inflammations, in people and animals. Had them before, used them before, never caused any harm.
Don’t you guys think it’s possible that he’s gotten one of his brother‘s claws into his eye and that’s where the little wound comes from?
It is very possible he was from another cat but surely an accident. I understand that it is homeopathic and used before but its different with ulcers, things like that can alter the results of the eye stain and counteract the medication needed to treat the ulcer.

Echy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just read the entire post, Did you take him to the vet? How is his eye? Hopefully its all good now and not something serious.

Keep us informed!

~Echy

Svenja_hel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for asking you guys!!
He is fine. I took him to the vet on Monday last week and the vet confirmed my suspicion. He was most likely hurt while play-fighting with his brother, and was prescribed antibiotic eye drops. It was not an ulcer. Now, a week later, he doesn’t squint anymore and the eye‘s redness is gone. You can still see the little scratch, but it is not causing him discomfort. :)

Svenja_hel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh and the vet said giving him the eye drops I had at home was a good idea, as they prevent inflammations and help the eye stay moist so it doesn’t get even more sore! :)

Gabe C

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for asking you guys!!
He is fine. I took him to the vet on Monday last week and the vet confirmed my suspicion. He was most likely hurt while play-fighting with his brother, and was prescribed antibiotic eye drops. It was not an ulcer. Now, a week later, he doesn’t squint anymore and the eye‘s redness is gone. You can still see the little scratch, but it is not causing him discomfort. :)
My cat Oliver (A White Yellow tabby with a bob tail) Had something strike his eye while playing; I saw it ! The exposure of their eye is their weakness. Too wide and totally exposed to anything. It all depends how fast they are able to close their eye when it happens. Im glad you where able to resolve his injury! I will do the same ! Oliver has a small dent but nothing else beyond that. Thank you ! Lots of good health to you dear cat!