Cat with a cold

kunoichi9280

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 1 1/2 year old kitty who I think has a cold. He has a slightly runny nose (I notice it's damp when he nudges me), he seems just a little off, and he woke me up sneezing (which is why I'm writing this at 4 am). He is eating and drinking normally, still bugging me for food and drinking out of his water dish, he's using his litter box appropriately, and he still has a few episodes a day of the kitty zoomies as I call them. He's a calm and quiet cat anyways so it's hard to notice a drastic change of behavior in that area. Can cats work through colds at home if there aren't any big signs, or do they always have to go to the vet with a cold? Thanks in advance!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Colds are usually a virus and just supportive help is needed. Raising the humidity by boiling water or putting him for a while in a steamy bathroom is a big help. Or getting a humidifier. cats get what is called Feline Herpesvirus, it is one of the most common. It is NOT transferable to humans it is called that because that is the type of virus it is. I had one cat out of three that repeatedly got it. He became somewhat lethargic, had runny eyes and nose and the main symptom was sneezing. as long as your cat is eating a little, drinking (I would push water, set several little bowls around for him to discover), and using the litter box, everything is normal. It can last two weeks or even longer. Vets still recommend L-Lysine for cats with this, I gave it too, though many said it hasn't been proven. I have had much better luck with supplements to build up their immunity, there are many on Amazon, etc. My cats have Leukemia and I give DMG every day, so many drops per weight in a lickable treat called Hartz Delectable lickables in the STEW., they don't like the others. I also keep a box of it around in case someone relapses and quits eating. it really helps to have them eat something, even if it is just a few licks. This shouldn't get a whole lot worse, Just keep an eye out for changes from viral to bacterial, his eye and nose discharge will become thick and white/yellow/green. Then you can treat with antibiotics. good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kunoichi9280

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I found out my childrens' cat had a cold so I Know where he got it,at least