Cat Window Screen Safety?

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hi everyone! We just got new windows. The old ones were so rusted there was no possibility of the cat falling out. The new ones are not sturdy enough. When the window were redone the window sills inside. Were lost. My concern is she’ll fall out.

Has anyone cat proofed a new window?

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Storm windows? Screens on the outside? Just use good screen, not the vinyl stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She used to sit on the sill and the outside screen was rusted so it didn’t move. The new window have child labels (kids can fall out) and a bit of a groove. Basically it feels like if she layed again the window screens with the window just a bit open it would collapse out and she would fall out the window.

I’m not concerned she’ll claw to get out. I’m concerned she’ll shove her body next to the screen on the window plastic and it’ll collapse with her falling out the window.

Just to clarify I can’t screw the screens in. I don’t own the place and they are brand new.

Has anyone tried something like this?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wood-Fra...uQtHNBT5ymAidYO30OxwXA0vp8V9uAABoCeqMQAvD_BwE

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Has anyone tried something like this?
Yes, I use those. Depending on the width of your windows, they are pretty secure. If you do have to open the screens out full-length, it might weaken the strength a bit, if something is pressed against them.

I had the same fears as you, though, when I first used them. You do need semi-deep grooves in the window frame for the screen to brace against securely. Does that make sense? And I think it really depends on the persistence of your cat, whether they might push against or scratch at the screens and inadvertently dislodge them. I've had great luck so far with Milly.

With my last cat, I wire-wrapped an extra wooden brace against the base of that brand of screen when it was in the "open" position in the window. That gave me more peace of mind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws That should work! Thank you. The window frame is deep. That was my concern. We lost window ledges and got deep window frames. I made stands for her but she misses the ledges. Since they are deep i was worried she would shove herself in them and pop the screen out. That should stop her from shoving herself into the frame.

Last edited by a moderator: