Cat Will Poo But Not Wee In The Litter Tray

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All

I have a cat which is outdoors quite a lot but she comes in before dark and has a litter tray in the house if she needs to go the toilet in the night and she is let out in the morning again.

Noticed for a couple of weeks she isn’t actually weeing in the litter tray anymore but will pop in there. She doesn’t wee anywhere else in the house or doesn’t even attempt to wee or doesn’t seem to be in pain etc. Normal as ever just doesn’t wee in there.

Should I be worried or does everyone think she is now choosing to simply wee outside and not need to go as much.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since she is going outside, it's impossible to know for sure if she's peeing out there, but it seems likely. How old is she? Is having access to the outside a new thing for her?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would bet she is going outside. Get a black light flashlight and that way you could check for sure. As long as she is acting normal, and eating/drinking, she is most likely fine.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For both cats and dogs urinating is also about marking territory. She probably has staked out a territory outside and is urinating around the perimeter of her territory.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Cats sometimes just won't wee where they poo. I discovered this years ago when one of mine wee'd in the shower bay for ages until I thought to put in another tray. And then many people here said similar things.
I reckon your girl has decided that her tray is for poo and 'holds on' to use the outside during the day. Easily worked out if you just set up another tray. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has usullly been weeing in her litter tray up until a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe I should keep her in for a day and see if she uses it