Cat Will Not Listen Please Help Before I Pull All My Hair Out!

luke82040

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I've had my cat for a while now, probably about a year and a half. She's about 2 and a half years old. She also was born and raised an adopted in a shelter. The issue I'm having with her is that for one, I had to buy 2 new couches because the first two, the sides were completely destroyed. Now you may be thinking, get a scratching post. Oh but she has one. It has never once been used. Even tho when she began to claw my couch I'd move her to the post and give her affection and call her a good girl, she still continued to claw the couches and now my new ones. So I got to the point when I would yell NO and she'd stop. But now she got smart, now she only does it when I'm asleep or at work when I cannot watch her, then I find the claw marks when I get home. So now I just clip her claws. But the other issue is she's not supposed to go into the kitchen because I have my desk set up in there with my expensive computers and I don't want her to chew on the cords. She chews on everything. I have a jacket I have had since I was 16 (I'm currently 20) and I love it, its my favorite jacket. But now it has 4 or 5 holes in it from her chewing on it. I've tried spraying her with the spray bottle whenever she gets near it, but she just does it when I'm not home, or when I'm asleep. Now when I'm gone i have to lock it in my room. Then today I got down under my desk to examine why my $1500 iMac wouldn't turn on. Looked at the cord and it was severed completely in two. with very familiar bite marks on it. I continued to look at every other cord and saw bite marks on each one. Luckily (haha not really) she only broke the most expensive computer cord I have.
She also gets in the blinds in the kitchen and when she gets in them, they're pushed out off the windows sill, so I know she's still getting in the kitchen while I'm not home and chewing on my cords, and getting in the blinds and on the counter (the window is above the sink). Whenever I try to encourage her to use the scratching post, play with her toys (she has so many) or try playing with her and a ball with a bell or some other toy, she isn't interested and continues to do whatever she wants when I'm not home. I'm at my wits end now because I have to do work on my iMac and it's out of commission until I buy a new cord. Every attempt I make to discipline, reward and punish, goes unwavered. She doesn't like treats, she won't eat anything unless it is her own cat food, cat nip doesn't work on her. And now she is so used to the spray bottle she kinda flinches when I spray her then continues to misbehave right in front of me sometimes. Other times she gets on the couch and just sits there looking at me like I'm just the guy who randomly gets mad at the queen of the house.

I also looked everywhere online on how to discipline cats. They say reward them with things they like when they do something good. She doesn't like treats, toys or catnip so I'm out of ideas. They also say to spray her when I catch her in the act. I can't catch her in the act cuz she only does it when I'm not home or when I'm asleep. There are times when I get home and she runs out of the kitchen and sets on the couch and then i show her the blinds and spray her, which works for a day then resumes bad behavior. Or I'll be asleep and wake up to the sound of her clawing my new couches and I'll walk out and spray her but at that point she just continues to do it even while getting sprayed then goes on the couch and sits in her spot and looks at me like I'm the bad one. Even trying any other discipline measures for when she gets in trouble does not work.

Please, if you have any ideas, PLEASE let me know. I'm so close to just taking her back to the shelter and saying I can't take care of her.

List of things she has broken or damaged.
Loveseat couch sides
3 section couch sides
$80 bluetooth headphones
$90 macbook charger
$25 iMac power cord
$45 jacket from 4 years ago
left side of kitchen blinds (faux wood)
many many many socks
my friends phone charger
My brand new couches sides, on both couches
a leather ottoman sides (all four corners)
Sound system cord
printer power cord
windows computer power cord
monitor power cord
keyboard cord
ethernet cable
friends jacket sleeve
extension cord
Uninterruptible power supply cord (honestly surprised she didn't get electrocuted with that one)
many phone chargers of all colors
she ripped a hole in the bottom of the box spring on my bed so she can climb inside it
ruined carpet in front of bathroom door

Things she has ironically not damaged or has yet to damage.
HER OWN SCRATCHING POST
Her bed
none of her many toys
the toy on a spring on her scratching post
the straps on my backpack
my other socks
anything that contains food in it. including her own food.

As you can see, the list is quite extensive, so please if you have any suggestions, let me know. If not, I may just have to take her back to the shelter and tell them she will not listen and she's costing me too much money.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Pika maybe? Numerous scratch posts. Play with her before you leave. Wear her out. Buy plastic cords that open up at home depo that cover cords. I have a fancy $50 scratch bed I bought online.p
20170201_174711_zps6b8atmpg.jpg

Also have a 72" cat tree she loves. She uses the fancy bed the most. Open your blinds or get a jar of butterflies- some thing for her to look at. She might be bored so watching the birds,bugs,mice, etc will keep her busy.

Cords can be very dangerous for her so I would for sure get the plastic coils. No toys that have string if she chews everything up. Using a spray bottle she might take it to mean something else.

About the bed- my cat would get on her back, put her paws up, and run underneath. The bed frame is gone now so she can't do it. Watch some of My Cat from Hell. Finally, pick up your clothes

Last edited by a moderator:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi L luke82040 :wave3: Welcome to TCS!

Cat scratching is a very common (not to mention frustrating) problem. The good news is that there are tons of things you can do to stop it :D Do stop using the spray bottle though - it's far more likely to make her scared of you than anything else, and she's highly unlikely to connect it with the unwanted action.
5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat
The Dos And Don'ts Of Cat Behavior Modification

First of all, look at the location of her scratching post. One of the reasons cats scratch is scent marking, showing that a certain area belongs to them too. It's a big security and confidence thing. Scratching posts need to be in socially significant areas of the home (ie where you spend the most time), not tucked out of sight in a corner ;) For right now, I'd put the post right in front if her favourite scratching area of the sofa. Once she's got the idea, you can slowing inch it into a more workable position, but make sure it's still nearby.

Look at the size and stability of the post too. Cats like to have a good stretch and put their weight into their scratching. If the post isn't tall or stable enough she'll be reluctant to use it. Oftentimes a cat will target the sofa because it's a big, heavy piece of furniture that doesn't shift or tip.

Play is the best way to teach a cat about using their scratches. Use a wand toy and get her really engaged and active. Then use the toy to guide her to the post, and draw it up and around so that she pounces it on the post. Cats naturally scratch when playing, so this will soon get her started on scratching the post. Once started, she'll realise what a satisfying place it is to scratch, and so will likely gravitate back there when she wants a good scratch again. A bit of catnip on the post can work wonders too. In her case, you may want to try valerian or silvervine instead - cats often love these too, so she may respond better to these than catnip ;) Feliway have recently brought out a product called Feliscratch to encourage cats to scratch their posts. I've no idea how effective it is, but it's another option.

There are lots of sofa-saving products around these days, from scratchers that fit around the corner of the sofa to clear adhesive strips (such as Paws Off) that discourage scratching. Kitchen foil wrapped around the ends/corners of the sofa is another good (and cheap) deterrent.
How To Stop Your Cat From Scratching The Furniture

As far as chewing goes, cable/cord covers are your friends here, and you can even get ones impregnated with a bitter taste to discourage chewing. There are always the anti chew sprays too, but these need to be used with care around electrical stuff. Again, foil is a cheaper alternative - just wrap the cords with it. Cats hate the taste and sensation of it, and so will usually stop chewing on their own.
How To Stop Problem Chewing In Cats

An easy way to teach her to stay out of the kitchen (I'm assuming there isnt a door you can simply shut) is to use Ssscat air canisters. Just put them on the floor outside the kitchen. They're motion activated, and will release a a puff of air when she goes to enter the kitchen. This is harmless, but just unpleasant enough to teach her to say away. The reason it works where a spray bottle doesn't is that the timing is spot on, and it has no connection to anywhere but the kitchen ;)

Solving Cat Behavior Problems: The Key Ingredient
Beating Boredom - What Indoor Cat Owners Need To Know

Hang in there, and good luck. It may take a little time and perseverance, but there issues CAN be worked through :) :vibes:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats and scratching is normal, but your kitty has taken normal to a much higher level.

A couple suggestions:

Get lots of different types of scratching posts. My Ruby won't give the cardboard types a look, but she loves scratching her carpet covered cat tree (not to mention my actual carpet :() She also likes door hanging scratchers.

Another possibility is cat claw covers.

Good luck.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Where is the scratching post? I suggest moving the post next to the couch where she likes to scratch. One post on either side of the couch. Rub cat nip on the scratching post too.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're going through this. I taught my cat to stay away from cords by honking a horn to get him away from it and saying No. I prefer that, I don't like to squirt him with water. He learns pretty quick with the horn and it doesn't hurt him. I had to teach him real quick about cords since I don't want a fire!

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
I recommend the cable covers, too. they are fairly inexpensive and come in a huge roll and are called " SPLIT-LOOM TUBING." My cat chewed on cables (though nowhere near as much as yours) when she was younger and the covers helped a lot.

Columbine's advice about cats liking different materials(sisal, carpet, or cardboard), locations, and types ( vertical vs horizontal) is very good, as well as the advice about using a wand toy to encourage use of he post. I did that early ion with the scratching post for my cat, and she really responded well. Also, My cat Loves the style of scratcher that maggie101 posted.

I'll also second that Ssscat air canisters are effective in keeping cats away from certain places the shouldn't be...

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Ssscat air canisters work on cats, but, not on people.
I forget mine is there at least twice a week. Scares the Sss out of ME, every time! :flail:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What does that do, does it just blow air at them or make a noise?

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What does that do, does it just blow air at them or make a noise?
It's a small, battery operated, over priced Motion sensor that fits on top of a small, over priced, aerosol can of air.
When something passes in front of it, it sprays a hiss of air.
It'll glue a cat to the ceiling! And once or twice and the cat has learned not to go "there" any more.
It'll glue you to the ceiling as well. But, you'll forget it's there, and accidentally activate it yourself every few days.
(the results will be same each time) :lol:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a small, battery operated, over priced Motion sensor that fits on top of a small, over priced, aerosol can of air.
When something passes in front of it, it sprays a hiss of air.
It'll glue a cat to the ceiling! And once or twice and the cat has learned not to go "there" any more.
It'll glue you to the ceiling as well. But, you'll forget it's there, and accidentally activate it yourself every few days.
(the results will be same each time) :lol:
That is scarey for my scrawny 16 yr old cat. Think I'll wait