Cat Will Not Allow Me To Fall Asleep!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guys are pretty good at letting me sleep. However I trained them 1 at a time. Salem came almost trained already, he was never a bother at night. Dante was a holy terror. However if he woke us, he got kicked out of the room for the night, no do overs. If he jumped on my x-husband's sore back from the tall dresser, he got kicked out with a loud "OW!!!!!" If he stabbed my feet with his sharp little claws, I gently/slowly pushed him off the bed with my foot, then kicked him out. If Salem paws my lip, I blow on him. My only sleep issue now is Salem waking me up because he is growling so loudly at Dante. The best cure for that, is to make sure Dante gets enough play during the day so he leaves Salem alone . However if they keep doing it & around the 3rd or 5th time I get woken up I start chewing them out angrily, shaking the squirt bottle & kicking both cats out for a half hour..... then playing with my punk so we all can get some sleep. You might try rotating your kitten's toys so she doesn't get bored. Part of my nightly ritual is to play with my cats, so Dante won't wake me up harassing Salem.

Also kittens love those balls on track toys. Take lots of pictures, they grow up so quickly.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I admit, I laughed when I saw the title of this - brought back memories of when my boys were kittens!!

I honestly forget how long it took them to hunker down more at night. Honestly, they don't really go to sleep now (meaning my boys and my other youngin Pea-Pea) until sometime in the middle of the night. Sometimes. Other times I wake up to my face being part of their nightly racetrack, haha.

Play with them a lot during the day. I don't think you can keep them from falling asleep when they want to sleep (since that is a good chunk of what they do anyway) but you can try! My kittens would be dead to the world when they would sleep, could pick them up and move them and they MIGHT have opened an eye for a second. But once they are up, they are up and they hit the ground running.

Try to see if there are patterns your kitty follows also. If I remember correctly, for my boys, it was eat, play, sleep; rinse and repeat all day long. If they have a pattern as the one I mentioned, try feeding them earlier, so they can play earlier, and ultimately sleep sooner.

Jax53

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What an adorable little calicette! They can be pistols. We've all heard of "calico 'tude", haven't we? ;) The other posters have given great advice and I can't improve on it except to say, "BE PATIENT". Kittenhood passes and soon she will be curling up at the foot of your bed, or wherever else she decides to sleep. That said, though, my Elvis, who's 10 and a blue/cream shorthair, likes to meow about the house late into the night in summertime. To cool the house, I have a lot of windows and some doors open, and so he catches all the action from the night creatures and the energy from everything that goes on out there. I'm insomniac, too, so it just kind of works out, I guess...:yawn:
When I saw your cat, I thought om he looks just like my wee boy, we called him Mitch, He looks like twins when you put them together. What a shocker.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get into a routine . I used to play with Gracie for about an hour before bed - then tv and lights out! Now she sits and stares at me until I turn the tv off then she will jump on the bed , give herself a full body wash and sleep! I’ve even turned off tv early as couldnt bear her staring at me !

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it's pretty straight forward and easy, this.

Ignore her. All night.

It will be hard and you will be annoyed, but after a few nights she'll know that her behavior does not result in you getting up to play with her.

mercer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no! I'm currently going through this too but it definitely helps to wear them out before sleeping. Sonny will pass out with us or in his box, but if he doesn't we let him play and wear himself out in the bathroom, then he'll eat and pass out in there. There have been good days and bad days the week and a half we've had him but he's more of a nuisance in the morning now, wanting Mom and Dad to be up already.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! I'm currently going through this too but it definitely helps to wear them out before sleeping. Sonny will pass out with us or in his box, but if he doesn't we let him play and wear himself out in the bathroom, then he'll eat and pass out in there. There have been good days and bad days the week and a half we've had him but he's more of a nuisance in the morning now, wanting Mom and Dad to be up already.
CATS=the best alarm clocks ever. Not only do they never need batteries, they're also impossibly cute.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
CATS=the best alarm clocks ever. Not only do they never need batteries, they're also impossibly cute.
Not only do we have a bedtime schedule, we have a wake up one too. Don't wake up and feed them right away. Get up, brush your teeth (etc.) and then feed them. If they associate waking you up with getting fed, then they just keep waking you up earlier and earlier. (I can't take credit for this - I read it hear somewhere.)

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Same thing happened to my gal in the initial months after I adopted her. Like clockwork she would come into my bedroom at 4AM and start licking me; or worse, dive-bomb at my feet. They grow out of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winniethebullet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OKay, everyone! I just want to say that I tried a few of your methods and I now can sleep! My cat is outside of my bedroom and I moved her food and litter box. She is now somewhat of an angel? :hyper: Thanks so much again.;)

shesmylight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cats were fairly well trained to leave us through the night, I am a poor sleeper though so I'm up all kinds of hours, normally around 4 am I get up and walk around a bit, maybe do some housework and then go back to bed, so since they realised this they are there at 4 and at 6 in the hope of food. at the moment I'm pretending to be asleep and roll over so that I tip them off the bed since I will not get back to sleep easily with them around! the best bet is not to pay them attention when the cat is near you and you're trying to sleep, even if you aren't. Try and teach the cat that bed time is bed time, no matter what they do it's not going to get attention from you.

this is easier said than done especially on nights where you're awake anyway and you think aww a few pets won't hurt.
My Hikari does this, constantly! She never used to, not up until the situation we are having in the thread I posted yesterday. Well, not exactly never. She would sleep through the night sometimes but when she was up, by golly she was up and there was nothing I could do to put her back to bed. The second I would lie down, she was all like, oh no, mom. You're not going to be asleep if I'm not. She'd rattle things around to try and wake me. It would work, then it would just keep happening. heh.
Good luck hun, looks like we have some of the same stuff going on as of late. Let's get our kitties on a schedule together! grins

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sleep odd hours with my medication/pain. Still my guys let me sleep. Why? I will snuggle as I'm going to sleep but if they wake me up I ignore them. So even when I over sleep they let me sleep. Maybe the fact that I usually wake up hurting & grouchy helps them not associate waking me with fun things? Since I wake up more in a leave me alone until my pain meds kick in mood?