Cat Will NOT Allow Herself to Be Groomed, No Ifs Ands or Buts!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wrote about our Maine Coon kitten Luna under the Showing and Ethical Breeding Thread because my problem is specific to the MC breed but as this has gone on much longer than I expected, I'm opening it up to a wider audience hoping for more help.

This is a bit long so bear with me.

Luna is an almost 10 month old purebreed Maine Coon. No history of trauma that would give her any reason to hate being groomed. She was raised underfoot, groomed since a kitten, and I periodically groomed her since we got her at 3 months old although admit not as much as I could have since her coat was slow to come in and she really didn't need it much.

However, she never really enjoyed it from the get go. It was always a small battle with her. I thought it was because she was young, and viewed the combs and brushes as a toy. She'd bite them, kick them away. No matter how calm I was with her it was a challenge. I tried every tool imaginable and not one of them was something she could tolerate. I could manage to do the top of her sometimes, but never get her belly and britches where she needs it the most.

This got much worse after she was spayed. At that time, she got downright fractious when they put the IV into her. I feel that she might now associate being touched there with the surgery. She got MUCH worse at the vet then too. Before that, was fine there but after started getting shut down and anxious when I'd bring her in.

I also wonder if perhaps, she is just ultra sensitive to being touched. She really isn't a cuddly cat at all. She loves being near us but not on us. She will sleep all night on pillows above my head, touching and licking me but, not up against me. She'll tolerate being pet on her head, chin and that's about it. Does not like her body messed with much at all. When you pet her, it also always elicits a lick response which I find odd. Needless to say clipping her claws isn't easy either - but I can manage if I wrap her, purrito style, although this is getting more difficult as she gets larger (she's like toddler sized now LOL). I also wonder, if it's partially because she had some minor health issues when small where we had to administer medications to her frequently and even still, we have to periodically give her eye medication for chronic dry eye due to feline herpes virus flareups. Maybe she just is tired of being messed with. I guess I would be too.

Anyway...her coat over the past few months has finally really started to come in. Her tail is glorious. But oh my, she is getting mats on her belly now and I can not get to them. My other cats all were fine with me working on them, loved being groomed. She's a nightmare. This week I decided I'd get her professionally groomed but wound up bringing her to the vet instead to just get her belly shaved along with a sanitary trim.

Well, that did NOT go well. Left her off there, and 1/2 hour later got a call to come get her. She freaked out completely as soon as they started working on her. Mind you, the techs there all know her really well and love her. But she just flipped out on them. Came running back to get her. She was utterly stressed out, shaking. The vet suggested that we try again another day, but, she gave me a 'script for gabapentin to use to calm her down before she arrived. I asked her if it would be ok if I try using it at home on my own and she was fine with that. Said I should try using 1/2 the suggested dose and see if that works for her.

So, tomorrow, since I'm working from home due to the Covid-19 situation, we're going to try doing this and hope we can get her mellow enough so that I can get to those mats and work them out. I'm crossing my fingers this works. I'm confident I can do this since I've done it for my other cats, but I need her placid, not kicking and biting at me.

Anyway, has anyone else used gabpentin for this use? Would love to hear your experience with this medication. Tips/tricks not necessary as I've already done everything possible to attempt to groom her without it. If anything, I wish I could just let her be, but obviously that's not possible as it would be negligent of me to do so.

Anyway, here's Googie. I mean Luna (we call her Googie more than Luna most of the time)
luna 10.jpg

mentat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gabapentin is only anxiolytic at doses much higher than the pain management or seizure dose; this is where the drug failed, only when underdosed by the first few to recommend it as an anxiolytic to me in 2012. My vets since then, to now, all prescribe 100-200mg per cat 2 hrs prior to transport as well as the night before transport. If staying with the vet, they re-dose 4-6 hrs after I administered the morning dose. But, this is enough to handle for an exam or to inject an IM or IV sedative for more "personal space" invasive and/or longer duration procedures. My cat hospitals specifically offer gabapentin in a welcome kit to all patients.

Before utlrasound, before IV catheterization, before extensive blood draws, mine get a light kitty cocktail, reversible, and multimodal, so the lowest effective dose of each is used. An example is Alfaxan/midazolam, ketamine/midazolam/Dexdomitor, very safe with minimal risk, reversed and we're leaving the clinic, after an hour total appointment including diagnostics. Fosters that needed total body shaves due to skin infection or mites were sedated, as they were already wary and uncomfortable.

She may benefit from Zylkene dosing daily, a calming supplement by Vetoquinal veterinary pharmaceuticals. Mine are on the labeled dose, up to twice that, per my feline internists and behaviorists.
Behavior modification training, with rewards, to capture and shape desirable response to the presence of a comb, touching to a single, least reactive body part, then shaping towards combing non-tangled hair. I desensitize shelter cats to nail trims and ear cleansing this way, with a bevy of treats ready, when they've had no food for 4-6 hrs, so appetite for treats increased. Temptations and dehydrated chicken/fish flakes they find most palatable. My biting shelter dogs improved for brushing this way, also, from anxious huskies, to aggressive goldens.

My AAFP boarded cat vets use EMLA cream on shaved skin, wrap with non-adhesive telfa pad protecting medicated site, allow to set 30 min, then IV catheterize. My cholangiohepatitis boy used to murder his phlebotomists; now, EMLA cream, no anesthetic needed when he's flaring/critical, and he's effectively treated, as low stress as possible. Cat hospitals are better prepared to handle cats with established reactions to grooming or veterinary care, also. I started here, then searched amongst the results for a cats only hospital. Too many cat/dog hospitals are overtly dog oriented, and dog focused, as veterinary research has been. My easily stressed geriatrics and semiferal fosters to best at cat clinics; perhaps your MC will, too. I had 3 MCs amongst extended family who didn't have the same issue with grooming. Who knows, your girl may have hyperesthetic skin, overly sensitive superficial nerves that just don't tolerate petting or grooming the same as normal skin sensation. Cat vets are great at distinguishing behavior issue vs hyperesthesia in these less tactile loving kitties.
Find a Veterinarian and Practice | The Cat Community if in USA, Canada
AAFP | American Association of Feline Practitioners
https://catfriendlyclinic.org/ International Society for Feline Medicine's equivalent to AAFP Cat Friendly Clinics, if anywhere other than North America.

The Not So Touchy-Feely Feline! - Fundamentally Feline Maybe she's a "knick knack" cat, less touchy feely. This is a good read to help understand and live with such a kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
mentat mentat Thank you for your very well thought out reply.

There is a cat friendly vet rather close by, I had no idea. I've tried searching for them before but for some reasons never was able to locate any. There actually a couple of them not too far but the closest is only 4 miles from me. I happen to love our current vet, but it might be worthwhile to go for a second opinion just for Luna. Supposedly ours is cat approved too but dogs and cats share the waiting room, which I never like.

I'm not so sure she's hypersensitive though. There are times when she'll roll on her back, stretch out fully and let us pet her belly. Calm. There isn't any skin rippling, rolling or twitching happening (we had an older cat with health issues who had this happening later in life). She used to curl up on my chest for long naps, that does not happen much anymore because she's gotten so large but every now and then she still will do this. So she doesn't totally shun touch - she's just picky about it is a better way to describe it I suppose.

I remember the breeder telling us that Maine Coons are not velcro cats, that they are very much their own cats and this really seems to be her to a tee. When she battles the grooming tools with me, it's not in an aggressive way - she's clearly playing, bunny kicking them like she would one of her stuffed toys, though at the vet that, is a whole other situation for sure. Even if I push her buttons by trying to groom her she doesn't hold a grudge over it and will come right back over to me seconds later.

We know her personality really well and respect the boundaries she has for the most part. We're fine with her being who she is - except for this one task which has to be done. And at this point I'm sure the fact that she now has mats that are close to the skin isn't helping either. They aren't large yet, but surely they must be annoying her. The only time I've been able to really comb her out was the last time I took her to the vet for a check up - I took advantage of her usual shutting down while there and gave her a good all over comb out and mat removal while the techs held her. But that was already at least a month ago so you know, too long ago.

FYI the dosage they prescribed was 100mg, 2 hours before arrival at the vet. They suggested I try only 50mg at home and see how that goes, since I don't have to get in the car with her she doesn't need to be sedated too much, just enough for her to calm down. My husband will be with me to help, I figured we'd load up on treats (she LOVES those Fancy Feast little foil packs of fresh tuna which are expensive but do the trick) and he'd ply her with those as I work on her. Oh and I'm going to p/u a different mat cutter - the one I have here I love but I think for her may not be the best type for the job. Luckily she's very food motivated.

Anyway, thank you again. Very helpful and gave me things to think about and research!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
For something to do for fun during the day, I sit on my couch with a glove on and give her a swipe everytime she walks by. The glove is plastic for brushing. She loves it. Otherwise, she is impossible to brush. She does not like to be picked up. I know it's not the solution but sometimes I need something to do!

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

mentat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
mentat mentat Thank you for your very well thought out reply.

There is a cat friendly vet rather close by, I had no idea. I've tried searching for them before but for some reasons never was able to locate any. There actually a couple of them not too far but the closest is only 4 miles from me. I happen to love our current vet, but it might be worthwhile to go for a second opinion just for Luna. Supposedly ours is cat approved too but dogs and cats share the waiting room, which I never like.

I'm not so sure she's hypersensitive though. There are times when she'll roll on her back, stretch out fully and let us pet her belly. Calm. There isn't any skin rippling, rolling or twitching happening (we had an older cat with health issues who had this happening later in life). She used to curl up on my chest for long naps, that does not happen much anymore because she's gotten so large but every now and then she still will do this. So she doesn't totally shun touch - she's just picky about it is a better way to describe it I suppose.

I remember the breeder telling us that Maine Coons are not velcro cats, that they are very much their own cats and this really seems to be her to a tee. When she battles the grooming tools with me, it's not in an aggressive way - she's clearly playing, bunny kicking them like she would one of her stuffed toys, though at the vet that, is a whole other situation for sure. Even if I push her buttons by trying to groom her she doesn't hold a grudge over it and will come right back over to me seconds later.

We know her personality really well and respect the boundaries she has for the most part. We're fine with her being who she is - except for this one task which has to be done. And at this point I'm sure the fact that she now has mats that are close to the skin isn't helping either. They aren't large yet, but surely they must be annoying her. The only time I've been able to really comb her out was the last time I took her to the vet for a check up - I took advantage of her usual shutting down while there and gave her a good all over comb out and mat removal while the techs held her. But that was already at least a month ago so you know, too long ago.

FYI the dosage they prescribed was 100mg, 2 hours before arrival at the vet. They suggested I try only 50mg at home and see how that goes, since I don't have to get in the car with her she doesn't need to be sedated too much, just enough for her to calm down. My husband will be with me to help, I figured we'd load up on treats (she LOVES those Fancy Feast little foil packs of fresh tuna which are expensive but do the trick) and he'd ply her with those as I work on her. Oh and I'm going to p/u a different mat cutter - the one I have here I love but I think for her may not be the best type for the job. Luckily she's very food motivated.

Anyway, thank you again. Very helpful and gave me things to think about and research!
My aged aunt and uncle's MCs seek attention, but are not lap cat either. They only get their chicken hairball Greenies when it's brush/combing time. Total hams for those treats!
I forgot about those tiny fancy feast snack pack envelopes until you mentioned them. They are so stinky and yummy, esp on the go. I hadn't used them in 2+ years. Thanks for reminding me.

Winter, a 16lb foster I had for a month, needed a higher dose than the usual 100mg gabapentin to prepare for travel or shelter vet visits. If you do a trial of 50mg with no side effects, then 100mg just to see if she's less reactive to touch with a comb or rubber curry, this is how I tested doses before "needing" it for stressful events. A feline vet tech thought of this approach, and her team doctor supported it; love when one of my care teams rolls ideas and experience around so cats like yours and Winter have a better response to treatment and handling.

He was such a big beast of a guy to handle. And antagonized dogs, so had to keep him well back from the door as he was bigger than 2 of my dogs and scratched one hard when he darted out of the cat room. His mammoth claw left a scar on that little terrier's ear that is still there today. Clotting an ear wound takes so long, even with skin staples closing it. His vet did not believe "just a cat claw" lacerated that wide a wound. This is one of two softies that help me foster neonates, they're so gentle with cats. Winter had some pre-existing confrontations with dogs on the street for sure.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks again mentat mentat

I tried giving her half the dose yesterday. She was *somewhat* less anxious at first. I managed to get 2 small mats out of her myself with the mat cutter I have here. My husband held her while I did this and one other time I managed to brush her a little bit on her back which she tolerated better than usual. She also allowed me to stroke her belly more than she normally does.

Unfortunately, my husband fell asleep in the middle of the day probably when the medication was at it's peak. Obviously I'm not able to do this on my own so I feel it was a missed opportunity. Later on, after dinner I asked him to hold her and that didn't go very well. I noticed she'd seen the tools I was holding and had a semi-panicked look on her, mentioned this to my husband and lets just say a heated discussion followed over whether or not Luna was calm. So that was that, nothing more was done.

Today, she's her usual self; been spending a lot of time with me though as I'm working from home due to the Covid-19 situation. I spoke to the vet today and she suggested trying the full dose tomorrow, felt that would do the trick for sure. I hope so because there really are some major mats there that I need her to be still for me to cut off. No way I can work them out slowly. One is particularly scary looking - I imagine it's got to be pulling on her skin by now. They will have to be sawed out with the mat cutter little by little and I can not afford to have her jumping around.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update

Full dose did the trick.

It took about 1-1/2 hours for it to fully kick in but she literally passed out on the floor finally. Was fully compliant with me. Managed to get out nearly all of the mats with barely a reaction from her. There are 2 which were in the depths of her front leg pits, that I got most of, but the balance of both are really close to the skin and as you know, that is very thin skin in that area so I didn't want to push it too far. Once or twice she let out a small sigh but that was it. Took about 1/2 hour for me to do that and had a nice pile of fur from snipping and slicing - I used the mat cutter I have and a small blunt end scissor. Worked VERY slow and made tiny precise cuts, quite surgical.

Brushed her out afterwards (that, she perked up for and wasn't thrilled but tough luck) avoiding under her pit area. I think I'll try this one more time on my own to make sure I got everything but at least I now know the right dose and that I can manage to do it myself. Did not even need my husband to help me. Will most likely, however, still make an appointment at the vet to take care of those other 2 areas because I'm not so sure I'll be able to get close enough to get those out without hurting her.

And, will absolutely have to make a routine out of brushing her daily as much as she hates it. I suppose even if it's a quick minute or two and I reach all necessary areas it will be better than nothing!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, gabapentin takes a long time to kick in. My mom's dogs take a lower dose for chronic pain (old ladies) and an extra dose if they get anxious, and that extra dose takes at least an hour to work. But it does work well when it finally kicks in. Glad to hear it worked for her!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
W Willowy Yea, she's still knocked out. I called the vet just to update them and they said she probably will start coming out of it in about an hour or two.
I'm taking the opportunity to keep going over her since she's sleeping heavily on my desk right now. Found a couple more small knots while combing her out so those are now gone. Her belly fur is pretty chopped up but she sees nobody LOL.
Next I'm getting the pet wipes and giving her a good cleanup. There's fur everywhere!

mentat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update

Full dose did the trick.

It took about 1-1/2 hours for it to fully kick in but she literally passed out on the floor finally. Was fully compliant with me. Managed to get out nearly all of the mats with barely a reaction from her. There are 2 which were in the depths of her front leg pits, that I got most of, but the balance of both are really close to the skin and as you know, that is very thin skin in that area so I didn't want to push it too far. Once or twice she let out a small sigh but that was it. Took about 1/2 hour for me to do that and had a nice pile of fur from snipping and slicing - I used the mat cutter I have and a small blunt end scissor. Worked VERY slow and made tiny precise cuts, quite surgical.

Brushed her out afterwards (that, she perked up for and wasn't thrilled but tough luck) avoiding under her pit area. I think I'll try this one more time on my own to make sure I got everything but at least I now know the right dose and that I can manage to do it myself. Did not even need my husband to help me. Will most likely, however, still make an appointment at the vet to take care of those other 2 areas because I'm not so sure I'll be able to get close enough to get those out without hurting her.

And, will absolutely have to make a routine out of brushing her daily as much as she hates it. I suppose even if it's a quick minute or two and I reach all necessary areas it will be better than nothing!
Yay! My cats and dogs' prescription labels all emphasize "give 2 hours prior to transport, vet visit, or stress inducing event, as well as the night before event." Before SQ fluid therapy at home, I used to give it to all my CKD cats. I finally succeeded being their in-home aide with gabapentin, lol

Can you order a small pair of clippers for mat removal, so you don't have to take her to the vet for grooming? Andis and Oster make sturdy ones with #10, #40, or #50 surgical blade to get under tight, close to the skin mats.

I'm so happy for you and your gorgeous smokey girl. This is a big step in positive association with grooming and desensitizing her to stimuli she has established anxiety towards. The AAFP vet or your current vet can employ "Happy Cat Visits" in the future, for her to help with that anxious place, so she's not poked or prodded, just treats and good things associated with a hospital setting. Congratulations on this milestone! Seriously!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yay! My cats and dogs' prescription labels all emphasize "give 2 hours prior to transport, vet visit, or stress inducing event, as well as the night before event." Before SQ fluid therapy at home, I used to give it to all my CKD cats. I finally succeeded being their in-home aide with gabapentin, lol

Can you order a small pair of clippers for mat removal, so you don't have to take her to the vet for grooming? Andis and Oster make sturdy ones with #10, #40, or #50 surgical blade to get under tight, close to the skin mats.

I'm so happy for you and your gorgeous smokey girl. This is a big step in positive association with grooming and desensitizing her to stimuli she has established anxiety towards. The AAFP vet or your current vet can employ "Happy Cat Visits" in the future, for her to help with that anxious place, so she's not poked or prodded, just treats and good things associated with a hospital setting. Congratulations on this milestone! Seriously!

Believe it or not today I managed to comb out her belly!

She was asleep. I used a comb which I almost never use with her. Was very quiet, sneaked up on her and started gently combing. Has the tiny scissor with me too. She woke up for a moment but went back to sleep. Found 2 itty bitty knots and got them out. Kept combing and she barely stirred. I'm flabbergasted! Maybe we've turned a corner.