Cat who had radiation therapy for hyperthyroidism is STILL always hungry!

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cat Pips had I-131 radiation therapy in early August for hyperthyroidism. We had the same thing done for his sister 3 years earlier and she did great with it-- was back to her old self and eating habits just a few weeks later.

But Pips took 6 full weeks to test within the normal thyroid range (he tested normal just 10 days ago). But this entire time, he's still always hungry. He's such a skinny cat, and eats VERY slowly on top of it. He literally meows at us for food all day. And we can't keep food out all the time because our other cats would become giant pigs. So when he asks (which is all the time) we give him a bowl of food and put him in the bathroom to eat it slowly for a while. He finishes it, and then is still hungry! Has anyone had this happen before?

I plan to call the vet who did the I-131 treatment this coming week to see if he thinks this is normal. Pips is 13 but is healthy otherwise. He was in beginning stages of kidney failure a couple years ago but we gave him fluids and reversed it. We just feel terrible he's hungry all the time!

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
We’ve had about 7 go through I-131.

The vet and time are the only ones who are going to be able to determine what’s going on.

We’ve had two cats act like this and it was (mostly) nothing.

HyperT impacts every body system, so sometimes it can quite a while for things to normalize after I-131.

Some bounce back quickly, some appear virtually unchanged for a bit, some go hypothyroid, and some go into crisis state. In my experience, responses in the following few months have just been all over the place and really unpredictable.

For further support, I’d highly recommend posting to the hyperT Facebook group -

https://m.facebook.com/groups/42301610484/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We’ve had about 7 go through I-131.

The vet and time are the only ones who are going to be able to determine what’s going on.

We’ve had two cats act like this and it was (mostly) nothing.

HyperT impacts every body system, so sometimes it can quite a while for things to normalize after I-131.

Some bounce back quickly, some appear virtually unchanged for a bit, some go hypothyroid, and some go into crisis state. In my experience, responses in the following few months have just been all over the place and really unpredictable.

For further support, I’d highly recommend posting to the hyperT Facebook group -

https://m.facebook.com/groups/42301610484/
Thank you this is SO helpful! I just submitted a request to join the group. I have also read online that it takes a few months for their bodies to "settle" into new levels. So hopefully with time he'll get better.