Cat Who Doesn't Scratch...help!

Larkspur

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat doesn't use a scratching post, tree etc. She doesn't scratch the furniture, she sometimes scratches the rug and her sleeping places but that's just marking for 2 seconds. Fine enough, but her claws get super long and need to be trimmed 2x's a week since they get caught on things, break past the quick and bleed! I trim them but she goes completely nuts when I do. I am toweling which works for the back claws well but not for the front ones. We've had her nearly 4 months and it's getting worse not better. I did speak to the vet about it and she said I have to trim them as they don't do it and there's no groomers for cats (not a popular thing here).
My concern is vacations. We have a sitter but I could never ask someone to cut her claws it's too dangerous/traumatic. This morning I put on one soft claw on the dew claw and she went nuts. I can't get it off so we're watching and waiting for now. It's been an hour and she's playing and drinking. Could be the usual melodrama though.
A few questions:
1. Her claws don't seem to shed and the quick is pretty long. Is that normal? Could it be why she doesn't scratch?
2. I've seen these grooming bags on Amazon. Does anyone have experience with them? Is it worth it?
3. She is deaf and I think some of the stress is a lack of soothing words. Can anyone think of something to help her relax?
Thanks!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'm thinking that since she prefers to scratch carpet, she might prefer to scratch horizontally. Have you tried a horizontal cardboard scratcher for her?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she still a kitten or a full grown cat? Kittens often don't start regularly scratching until they are over a year old or even older. You should try cardboard, carpet and wood scratchers and add a generous amount of catnip. It may be that you just haven't had the kind of material likes to scratch on.

I used to have an older cat with nail issues that didn't allow me to clip them so I had that done at the vet every few months. Since vet techs do this, it's really not that expensive.

I do have one of those grooming bags, the kind with a bunch of zippers so you can isolate a single paw. My cat unfortunately freaked out enough while I tried to get her in the bag that I gave up on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Larkspur

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@adyeb I have a scratching wall board on the floor. She does use that occasionally when we have guests. I think a scratching mat/carpet might be in order.
susanm9006 susanm9006 She's just over a year, I suspected that she might not be old enough yet. She still chews and has no interest in cat nip. The vet doesn't clip nails. We had an interesting conversation about declawing when I brought it up. She feels it's similar, as well as the soft claws. I don't quite get it. Lucy is great with bags, she goes ballistic with the actual clipping part. She's a bit sensitive it seems. The bag might just be an option.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's something on the welcome page of this site (where all the adverts are ) about a vibrating scratch toy or something .. Which could be good . I have catnip spray which I spray on my kittens post to try and entice her . Can you play behind her ears or give her a treat after she does scratch so she knows shes being good (as she can't hear you so touch must be important ).

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi

My elderly cat doesn't scratch anything either, I have tried every scratch mat, toy, and post both vertical and horizontal, I have even demonstrated how to scratch the sofa - she was not interested . Who would have thought that a cat that doesn't scratch the furniture would be a problem!! But as we have found it is, luckily the vet clips her nails, this is a free of charge service at our vet. Although she isn't keen on vet trips either, we have to go quite frequently for her many ailments. I would suggest you change vets as they should offer claw clipping.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes forgot to say I always take my kitten to the vets to have her claws clipped ! First time I took her the vet didn't even ask me if I wanted it done and he clipped them for us !

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
For those with small kittens - start early massaging your kittens paws and pressing to make their claws extend. If they get used to their paws being handled as kittens they will object less as adults when you trim their claws.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think with repeated trimmings she'll eventually adapt.

I really hope you don't declaw her. It's an awful, terribly painful procedure for cats and many never fully recover psychologically.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat doesn't use a scratching post, tree etc. She doesn't scratch the furniture, she sometimes scratches the rug and her sleeping places but that's just marking for 2 seconds. Fine enough, but her claws get super long and need to be trimmed 2x's a week since they get caught on things, break past the quick and bleed! I trim them but she goes completely nuts when I do. I am toweling which works for the back claws well but not for the front ones. We've had her nearly 4 months and it's getting worse not better. I did speak to the vet about it and she said I have to trim them as they don't do it and there's no groomers for cats (not a popular thing here).
My concern is vacations. We have a sitter but I could never ask someone to cut her claws it's too dangerous/traumatic. This morning I put on one soft claw on the dew claw and she went nuts. I can't get it off so we're watching and waiting for now. It's been an hour and she's playing and drinking. Could be the usual melodrama though.
A few questions:
1. Her claws don't seem to shed and the quick is pretty long. Is that normal? Could it be why she doesn't scratch?
2. I've seen these grooming bags on Amazon. Does anyone have experience with them? Is it worth it?
3. She is deaf and I think some of the stress is a lack of soothing words. Can anyone think of something to help her relax?
Thanks!
Declawing is the same as cutting off each of your toes at the first digit, and then making you use cat litter as a toilet, which would be extremely painful in this instance. Walking is painful as well. Cats are made with claws for a reason. Declawing should be illegal, as it is mutilation of the worst kind and it is done for the person, never for the cat.

Sometimes people wait until their cats are sleeping and then clip one or two claws at a time, however many they are able to do while their cat is still drowsy and relaxed.

Provide a variety of scratching surfaces, both horizontal and vertical, and if your cat does not respond to catnip, perhaps try honeysuckle or silvervine, which are other plant-based substances some cats enjoy. You might also try one of Jackson Galaxy's calming additives for your cat. He is a cat behaviorist extraordinaire with a series on Animal Planet, "MY CAT FROM HELL", several books, and many YouTube videos. He is wonderful at helping people who are not cat experts to figure out how to best accomodate their beloved cats. Good luck, and please, whatever you do, DO NOT DECLAW YOUR CAT!

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats do learn to tolerate getting their claws trimmed. They never ever like it, but they will learn to tolerate it. With a difficult cat I get a second person who gives tons and tons of lovings and pettings while I manage the paws. I stop if the cat is getting really upset, because there's no law that says you must do all claws in one sitting. I can always snip a few more claws later when the cat is calm again.

Some cats are horizontal scratchers, they'll never touch a scratching post. The horizontal cardboard scratcher is a good idea, so would attaching a carpet remnant to a board. Some cats have preferences over materials, so cardboard might not appeal to a cat. Since 1/3 of cats don't have the gene to react to catnip and I have one of those cats, I've gotten liquid valerian root at GNC and put some drops on scratching areas. Since the liquid form is expensive (it was $13 for a tiny bottle), getting a capsule version and opening the capsule and pouring the contents over the scratching area will also work.