Cat went out side the litter box

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has been limping badly for about a month now. I have been giving him glucomine by cosiquin. I have been giving the proper dose -- I had been warned that it could cause diarrhea - weirdly the only hint I had seen of diarrhea was a little bit of a smelly poo. Most of the poos have been fully formed.

Well my cat went outside the box for the first time in his life and it was wet smelly poo. Next to him was something that looked like throw up in the past he has pooed uncontrollably when he has thrown up... all caused by stomach upset.

Since the cosiquin doesn't seem to be making a difference to his lameness I am going to discontinue.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to have that limp checked out by a vet. Cats hide pain, so he must be in a lot of it to limp.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You need to have that limp checked out by a vet. Cats hide pain, so he must be in a lot of it to limp.
My cat can't be checked out by a vet any longer. He fights so hard he hurts himself each time he goes. So the next trip will be to put him down. I think it is even more difficult when the cat has a limp to try to have him examined with the pain.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is this the same cat that was on Meloxicam? Is he still on this med in addition to the Cosequin? Both have potential side effects of diarrhea and vomiting. Maybe the combination is too much for him, or the dosage of one or the other needs to be reduced/changed - or, perhaps he just simply needs a combination of different meds. Did you ask the vet about this?

Has the vet tried any mild sedative(s) to see if your cat can be calmed down before a vet visit? Some people use a small dose of Gabapentin to get their cat to the point of being able to tolerate a vet visit. If not Gabapentin, there are others your vet could suggest. Ever consider a vet who who does in-home visits?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried the Meloxicam yet.

Yes, we tried the maximum dose of Gabapentin -- with an at home visit.

The cat was sleepy until the vet came in the house and then woke up.. the only thing they were able to do was one vaccination before he took off. Many tries have been done IN THE HOUSE, with towels and they never were able to get blood. They all agreed it just wasn't worth the struggle any longer.

This is not just one vet, this is many many many vets. It isn't the vet.