Cat went nuts for coffee

FurmiliarCattitude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Sophie usually hangs out with me in the kitchen while I make and drink it, but I figured she just wanted to be in the same room with me until today. Now I suspect she might have just been attracted to the smell. I accidentally spilled some coffee grounds and she went nuts running around and rolling in them like it was catnip! I was so surprised. I shooed her out and made sure I did a good job getting them all up because I was worried she might try to eat some. I was so surprised! Does anyone else’s cat react like this?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My former cat just loved coffee. She would wait until I wasn’t looking and then dunk her paw for a lick of it. At first I thought it was the creamer in the coffee that she enjoyed but after I caught her eating coffee grounds off of the counter I knew it was the coffee itself. She used to sit near me just staring at my cup with such longing that I sometimes would pour her out a few drops. She lived to be 19 so I guess it never hurt her.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely clean up any coffee spills immediately and thoroughly. Coffee is on the ASPCA's list of foods to avoid pets eating People Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pets Don't let used mugs sit in the sink and discard coffee grounds and used coffee pods in a secure trash can.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not coffee. Not tea. But Krista was cuckoo for the MCT oil I started to put in my tea. She never did this until I started that. Needless to say, the next day I was covering my tea cup.

View media item 423455

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
How interesting, I've never seen that. None of the cats I've had over the years have shown an interest.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our last cat was the only one who ever showed any interest in coffee. She would keep my company before work when I had my morning cup of coffee and climb on my lap to to smell it. She never drank it but would get her nose near it. I guess she just liked the smell and so do I. :biggrin: