Cat Went Missing Just Before Moving?

kitty411

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. I have recently moved house and I have 3 cats, 2 of which I have taken with me and 1 of which has not turned up since before we completely moved out. All 3 of my cats are spayed/neutered, microchipped and vaccinated. The one that went missing was due to be vaccinated shortly. My cats were living outside as we were renting and that was part of the lease agreement in order to keep them there. The one that went missing is a small tabby female. I have been leaving food out for her but it doesn’t seem to be getting touched. I think that the act of moving must have scared her into hiding. She was last seen around a week ago. I took the cat bed with me to help the others settle in to the new place (which worked very well) and have decided to place the bed back where it was at the old property to see if that does anything, as they have now settled in very well. I lived on the same property as my landlord so she has been leaving food out for her (which I think her cat is stealing lol but she says she never sees him up there) and is keeping an eye out as well. She said that she will text me if she sees my cat anywhere. I really hope she isn’t missing for good. I’ll keep going back there for a few more weeks or until she turns up. Does anyone have any advice about this situation? My partner and I have been worried sick about our poor little girl. :’(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I feel so bad for you - and your poor little girl. I don't know where you are located, but do you have Animal Lost & Found web sites, Next Door Neighbor forum, and local vets/shelters that you can post/give information to about her - as well as let them know she is micro-chipped? Also, post signs up all over the area around your old neighborhood. Maybe even ask for additional old neighbors to help out in addition to your landlord?

I also found this TSC article on lost cats that might have some helpful tips you could follow as well.

Help! My Cat Is Lost!

Don't despair! Cats can disappear for months and still be returned home to their families!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, do take the bed back to where she is accustomed to having it. Very likely, she'll be coming back there, checking for her "stuff," wondering what has happened. You might consider borrowing a humane trap at some point, once you have verified sightings of her. When searching, remember that cats are most active at dawn and dusk, those are the best times to look. Bring a flashlight so you can spot eyeshine. Look high AND low. Look in small, dark places, as well. Cats love to "go to earth" in spots like that.

Best of luck. I know you are just frantic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitty411

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your replies. She still hasn’t turned up. :( I will continue to go back and look for her. The neighbours are aware that she’s missing, although since we were staying on a farm there aren’t very many neighbours close by. Her food still hasn’t been touched. Does anyone know how long it usually takes for cats in these situations to come back if they come back at all? My others are allowed to stay inside at my new place as well. I will keep everyone updated. ❤

kitty411

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone recommend using vacuum cleaner dust sprinkled around the yard? She wasn’t inside, but I guess she’ll still recognise the smells. I know people usually recommend this after you have moved into a new house but she is still at the old place with familiar surroundings so I’m wondering if there’s any point to it.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone recommend using vacuum cleaner dust sprinkled around the yard? She wasn’t inside, but I guess she’ll still recognise the smells. I know people usually recommend this after you have moved into a new house but she is still at the old place with familiar surroundings so I’m wondering if there’s any point to it.
My guess is it couldn't hurt, maybe some litter used by the cats too? Can you record the other two kitty's meows & play it for her?

kitty411

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will do that tomorrow, that sounds like a good idea. Also I forgot to mention in the original post that yesterday I went around the entire property, looking through every building, shed, bush, tree etc. shaking her dry food and calling out to her, yet still nothing. I’m hoping that she’s scared and hiding away but my partner thinks that she may have been bitten by a snake (where we live in Australia we have deadly eastern brown snakes) as there would be plenty around due to the hot weather at the moment. I told him that it seems a bit too coincidental with us moving away so hopefully that isn’t the case.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that it often takes awhile for a cat who is hiding to respond to their person's voice. They are afraid, they haven't turned feral in a matter of days. Everything they know says 'hide, hide from everything and everyone.' I think you still have a good chance of finding her. Since you said she is an outside cat, she knows about snakes and things.

kitty411

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've heard that it often takes awhile for a cat who is hiding to respond to their person's voice. They are afraid, they haven't turned feral in a matter of days. Everything they know says 'hide, hide from everything and everyone.' I think you still have a good chance of finding her. Since you said she is an outside cat, she knows about snakes and things.
This is very reassuring. I’m going there today for a while to see if I can get her to come out of wherever she may be. I have many other people keeping an eye out for her as well.

kitty411

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I’ve been looking for 45 minutes and she’s not turning up. I live 1.5 hours away so I’ll have to come back tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hold on to the knowledge that she's there. You may have to set a humane trap, that's okay. When they are scared sometimes they don't recognize their people. Once she's trapped and you take her home, she'll know you again.

kitty411

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hold on to the knowledge that she's there. You may have to set a humane trap, that's okay. When they are scared sometimes they don't recognize their people. Once she's trapped and you take her home, she'll know you again.
That’s a good idea, although I feel my landlord’s cat is more likely to end up in the trap. I will see if I can hire one from my local council.

kitty411

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is your cat familiar with the landlord? If so, leave your landlord some the cat's favorite treats and have the landlord shake the treat can/bag and see if she will come to your landlord.
My landlord has already tried that, and she looked at her like she wanted to come to her, but just wouldn’t. My landlord’s son approached her, and she took off and went up behind a shed into a pile of scrap metal. So now we know where she’s hanging out. Food is being left out for her, so maybe she’s simply not hungry enough to be drawn towards food. She generally won’t come to anyone else other than me or my partner as she’s got a very timid/avoidant personality. Sometimes she even runs away from us if she doesn’t want to be petted or picked up etc. She’s always been that way, since the day we got her as a kitten. A few days before moving, however, she started acting really affectionate towards us, following us everywhere and crying at the window at night. I would always go out and reassure her. At the vet, she also seems to become extra cuddly. I think this might because she’s scared and goes towards us for comfort and reassurance. I feel that she might be thinking that she’s on her own now. I will continue to go back each evening until I catch her.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
My landlord has already tried that, and she looked at her like she wanted to come to her, but just wouldn’t. My landlord’s son approached her, and she took off and went up behind a shed into a pile of scrap metal. So now we know where she’s hanging out. Food is being left out for her, so maybe she’s simply not hungry enough to be drawn towards food. She generally won’t come to anyone else other than me or my partner as she’s got a very timid/avoidant personality. Sometimes she even runs away from us if she doesn’t want to be petted or picked up etc. She’s always been that way, since the day we got her as a kitten. A few days before moving, however, she started acting really affectionate towards us, following us everywhere and crying at the window at night. I would always go out and reassure her. At the vet, she also seems to become extra cuddly. I think this might because she’s scared and goes towards us for comfort and reassurance. I feel that she might be thinking that she’s on her own now. I will continue to go back each evening until I catch her.
Poor little girl, bless you for not giving up on her. Could you stay overnite at the old place and try to see if she will come to you?:vibes::vibes::vibes::goodluck::crossfingers::hangin:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, your landlord's cat probably will end up in the trap. But if he's smart enough to be outside, it will only happen once, maybe twice, before he figures it out. You only have to catch your girl once.

That they figure traps out is a problem for TNR people trying to help colonies when they notice one they trapped and neutered is sick and needs to be trapped again.