Cat Went Missing Just Before Moving?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitty411

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, thank you so much for your replies. So the council building has been closed over the holidays and is closed today (New Years day) so I haven’t been able to get a trap from them yet. I’ve still been looking but to no avail. My landlord said that she hasn’t seen her since, but the food out of the bowl has been disappearing. I guess really my only hope now is either chance or a trap.

kitty411

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor little girl, bless you for not giving up on her. Could you stay overnite at the old place and try to see if she will come to you?:vibes::vibes::vibes::goodluck::crossfingers::hangin:
Thank you :) and unfortunately I can’t stay over as my lease has expired and also I’ve started a new job in my new town so it wouldn’t exactly be the best idea in that sense. :( but I’m still going there as much as possible to try and find her or coax her out.

kitty411

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. He is really cute and sweet, but although he isn’t the smartest cat around, I’m sure he’ll figure it out.

I know this is somewhat unrelated but I thought I’d add it in anyway:
It’s also a shame we can’t do TNR in Australia. Every cat that gets trapped is sent straight to the pound. It’s illegal for us to release them back because cats have caused the extinction and endangerment of many small birds and marsupials. But there are around 18 million feral cats in Australia vs around 4 million pet cats, if I’m not mistaken. So spaying and neutering should be a huge priority in this country but I guess the feral cat population has gotten so out of control already they don’t really know what to do except hunt, trap and poison them. :(

kitty411

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I meant to quote Kflowers’ last reply in my last post. Sorry

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I realize you are in a sad position fighting against a determined group who prefers to kill cats rather than listen to facts. You have my sympathy.

The 'send to the pound instead of TNR is because people incorrectly assume that killing the cats will remove the population, where TNR is the only way to lessen the populations.

I saw a TV special about cats in Australia and the Aboriginal population, some of whom catch and eat feral cats to balance their poverty. This makes me wonder if the kill only no TNR is a bit directed against them. Normally, I'm against eating cats and dogs, and will not discuss this, but from what I've seen the need is great enough that they have learned to catch adult cats bare handed. This points to a problem beyond the feral populations.

Regardless of the damage the cats have done to native animals I completely and totally resent the attitude expressed by the 'kill the cats' groups that the cats arrived with intent to harm those animals. Yes, we all know that those cats in the 18th century paid for passage on the ships to come to Australia then ran away from home to live in the desert by their own choice. Somewhat like the camels that did the same.

kitty411

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I realize you are in a sad position fighting against a determined group who prefers to kill cats rather than listen to facts. You have my sympathy.

The 'send to the pound instead of TNR is because people incorrectly assume that killing the cats will remove the population, where TNR is the only way to lessen the populations.

I saw a TV special about cats in Australia and the Aboriginal population, some of whom catch and eat feral cats to balance their poverty. This makes me wonder if the kill only no TNR is a bit directed against them. Normally, I'm against eating cats and dogs, and will not discuss this, but from what I've seen the need is great enough that they have learned to catch adult cats bare handed. This points to a problem beyond the feral populations.

Regardless of the damage the cats have done to native animals I completely and totally resent the attitude expressed by the 'kill the cats' groups that the cats arrived with intent to harm those animals. Yes, we all know that those cats in the 18th century paid for passage on the ships to come to Australia then ran away from home to live in the desert by their own choice. Somewhat like the camels that did the same.
I totally agree with this. It is pretty sad, we have a lot of locals around here who trap and kill cats, pet cats are always disappearing and not coming back, especially if they aren’t wearing collars. That’s why I was really worried about my cats being outside (they all have collars but I’m replacing them all the time) but it was either that or not have them at all. I’m only 18 so I’m not really in a position where I can do much else. Local councils don’t do much about it either, if there’s a feral/stray population in your backyard that you’re feeding, the law states that they belong to you and that you need to remove them. Since TNR is not allowed and in my area individuals have to pay a deposit and hire traps, not to mention travel to take the trapped animals to the pound (which unfortunately is recommended but the rescue groups take animals from the pound so that’s good). So the cats are usually just left there because people can’t be bothered with all of that. So they continue to breed and the cycle continues.

So many people are misinformed about cats around here and I’ve heard of many stories of people purposefully harming cats and killing cats because they walked onto their property. It sickens me that people would punish an innocent animal instead of talking to the owners or their neighbours if they’re bothered about something like this.

I’ve never seen that TV special but I’m quite sure I’ve heard something related to it. I guess they have resorted to that because of the lack of native animals around due to foxes, feral dogs and feral cats amongst others. It’s sad their way of life was taken from them like that, it’s unfair to the native animals that are dying out because of the competition they haven’t evolved with, it’s also unfair to the introduced animals (particularly introduced predators) who don’t live very long lives and often die of starvation. Our government is kind of lazy when it comes to situations like that.

kitty411

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, I hired the trap today. I’ve set it up now, but I’m not sure if I’m using the right “bait”. Does anyone have any suggestions? I put it under some trees in the garden that’s in the area she was last seen walking around in. I just put in some “gourmet” “ocean fish” wet food. It does smell pretty strong.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
K kitty411 That looks like the normal trap, but I see you've partly opened a can of cat food. Do you realize how sharp that can and lid are? I've see pictures of kittens and cats rescued from the landfills with portions of their noses and upper lips cut off from trying to get food out of those cans. Even without the tops, the remaining edging on the sides can cut the sh-- out of your fingers and their faces.

You're 18, it's time to think of your future. It's time to think of getting on that flippin' council and changing things. It's a first step and one you can take while you're at school. Under your country's education system, I'd go for a law degree and learn how to show my fangs.

kitty411

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
K kitty411 That looks like the normal trap, but I see you've partly opened a can of cat food. Do you realize how sharp that can and lid are? I've see pictures of kittens and cats rescued from the landfills with portions of their noses and upper lips cut off from trying to get food out of those cans. Even without the tops, the remaining edging on the sides can cut the sh-- out of your fingers and their faces.

You're 18, it's time to think of your future. It's time to think of getting on that flippin' council and changing things. It's a first step and one you can take while you're at school. Under your country's education system, I'd go for a law degree and learn how to show my fangs.
I start university this year doing my Bachelor of Animal Science so I’m hoping to work in a related field and help make some very important changes.
Also I guess the photo looks deceiving because of the low quality but the whole thing was made put of foil and plastic - it’s squishy and I made sure that there were no sharp bits. The edges have a similar texture to a single serve foil pie case and the top was made of a plastic/foil material.​

kitty411

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I start university this year doing my Bachelor of Animal Science so I’m hoping to work in a related field and help make some very important changes.
Also I guess the photo looks deceiving because of the low quality but the whole thing was made put of foil and plastic - it’s squishy and I made sure that there were no sharp bits. The edges have a similar texture to a single serve foil pie case and the top was made of a plastic/foil material.​
Here’s the food I gave her. It’s not the same flavour but it’s the exact brand and packaging. The top just has a peel away plastic type material.
BE3FDF7F-D11F-40DE-9934-5AA8A9223420.jpeg

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peel away is a good safe way to feed them. Didn't mean to dis you, just to warn you of the possible problems. I know you wouldn't want to hurt anyone by accident.

kitty411

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Peel away is a good safe way to feed them. Didn't mean to dis you, just to warn you of the possible problems. I know you wouldn't want to hurt anyone by accident.
No that’s ok it’s very understandable. Just thought I’d clear it up :) and GOOD NEWS! Ive received news that the trap actually caught her last night!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy dance!!!! When you get her home hugs from all of us. Poor kit won't have any fur left. :woohoo:

kitty411

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no so I just got sent a photo of “her” and turns out it’s a completely different cat.

kitty411

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, at least the trap works. I’ve heard spraying it and the surrounding area with water and fish sauce is a good way to draw them in. I might try that