Cat Went Bonkers From Celery Seed

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were going to do some canning this afternoon and some bagged spices were left on the counter. I went into the kitchen to find celery seed and turmeric all over the floor, counter, and all over Indy. She was rolling in the bags, licking the celery seed, and acting like she was on some really strong catnip; she was even getting aggressive when I tried taking the baggies away from her. She (a black cat) also turned orange from the turmeric. :hmmm: The vet was called and he said that she shouldn't get sick from eating either spice.

So, that being said: does anyone else's cats go bonkers when they smell/eat celery seed? I can't say I've ever seen anything like it before!

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We were going to do some canning this afternoon and some bagged spices were left on the counter. I went into the kitchen to find celery seed and turmeric all over the floor, counter, and all over Indy. She was rolling in the bags, licking the celery seed, and acting like she was on some really strong catnip; she was even getting aggressive when I tried taking the baggies away from her. She (a black cat) also turned orange from the turmeric. :hmmm: The vet was called and he said that she shouldn't get sick from eating either spice.

So, that being said: does anyone else's cats go bonkers when they smell/eat celery seed? I can't say I've ever seen anything like it before!

Wow, that's crazy. I've never heard about this, but apparently (from googling it) a lot of cats react to celery leaves and seeds. I'm going to have to pick some up next time I go grocery shopping.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh sure, weeks after I clean out my spices and toss the dried celery leaves that I used NEVER, I find something I would like to try with them. Repeating to myself “I won’t buy celery leaves” a dozen times.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh sure, weeks after I clean out my spices and toss the dried celery leaves that I used NEVER, I find something I would like to try with them. Repeating to myself “I won’t buy celery leaves” a dozen times.
But you know you will, just to see if it works!

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Everytime I open the fridge, we have two cats that sniff the hell out of the carrot tops ... they seem to just love it. I wonder if that's related to celery at all...

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
But you know you will, just to see if it works!
Nope. It dawned on me that next time I buy celery I can save the leaves and let them dry. Some times I am slow to figure these obvious things out. Went to the store for coffee yesterday and was bummed to find they were out of my favorite ground coffee. Lots of bags of whole beans that I dug through hoping for a ground package hidden at the back. Was thinking about what store to try next when I looked up and realized that right in front of me were coffee bean grinding machines. Opened a whole bean package, dumped it in the grinder and problem solved.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ah...well, I don't think like that because I don't use whole celery. I deplore the fact that stores don't sell it by the rib during Thanksgiving and Christmas, because that's all I ever use!

But whole bean coffee is wonderful, because it stays fresh longer!