Cat Weight Gain After Human Travels

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I had to be out of town for two weeks due to a family reunion. I had a professional pet sitter stop in twice a day to check on Charlie to feed him, scoop his litterbox, and play with him. Yet, when I got back just now, I noticed that it appeared that Charlie had gained some weight. When I played with him, his jumps seemed sluggish and he could no longer reach his high perches.

I am concerned about his health, but fortunately I have a vet appointment for him today anyway for the FVRCP booster, so I'll be able to get tips for his diet too.

The pet sitter fed the same amount as I do, although I suppose that Charlie was less active when I was away, without having me to encourage him to play five times+ per day.

I was wondering what TCS members do for their cats to encourage them to be active, while the humans are away. I did leave out lots of independent play toys (Charlie's favorite ping pong balls, catnip mice). I had previously purchased a PetCube Play in the hopes of being able to check in on Charlie and get him to run around by chasing the laser pointer, but the device ended up being an expensive doorstop because it wouldn't connect to my phone despite a whole morning of attempting to set it up. :eviltongue: :sigh:

This whole thing makes me wonder if Charlie gets bored, even if I'm just out of the house for a bit. He's never been destructive or anything, but I can't be with him 24/7, and I'd hate for him to feel lonely or bored at any time, which has made me consider getting a friend for him, which I have been contemplating for some time. Charlie is very calm and friendly, but I am still concerned that another cat would stress him out.

I'd love to hear all of your opinions! :)

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How did the vet appointment go? Any recommendations about a short-term "diet" for Charlie? Or just lots of play now that you are home?

It could have been that Charlie was less active when you were gone. Two weeks is a long time and if Charlie wasn't in the mood to play when the pet sitter came by, phhfft, there went another day of less activity for him! Not the pet sitter's fault - was Charlie shy with the pet sitter? Could the pet sitter have given him lots of treat to try to entice him out of hiding or anything?

Anyway, like you, I also have (and enjoy having) just one cat. I think Charlie and you are very attached... do you think the both of you could handle another kitty presence?
:)

Mary Nielsen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think that it is just the lack of physical exercise and the same amount of food fed that got him to gain weight..

What did the vet say ??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
:sigh: I actually got the date wrong for the vet appointment, it was the same day and time next month. :doh: I felt so dumb walking into the clinic, only to find they I had the wrong date for the appointment. :oops:

I'm thinking I'll keep feeding him the same amount for now, maybe cutting back a little on the treats, but increasing exercise. Do you guys think that this makes sense?

Yeah, I'm not sure how Charlie would handle another kitty, I just became concerned that he might be getting bored, like whenever I was out of the house.