Cat Water Fountains

Mari333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I'm looking to purchase a cat water fountain to wean him off drinking out of our cups. Can you suggest a quiet good quality fountain, thank you.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had a Drinkwell Platinum fountain for about four years. The motor is very quiet, but you can hear the water trickling. I got it for Mingo, who would only drink running water. It's fairly easy to clean, and there are YouTube videos to show you how. The reservoir holds a lot of water, so you are not constantly replenishing it.

Drinkwell® Platinum® Pet Fountain PWW00-13703 | Product Support | PetSafe

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I liked the CatMate. Dont remember if it was noisy. So easy to clean. Only 2 parts. I changed to big elevated cat water bowls

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
I use pioneer pet stainless steel fountains. They are generally pretty quiet (I have one in my bedroom,even), but if they get too low, they'll get really loud and eventually even burn out the motor.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, if at all possible, check the noise level. The trickling water in itself can be annoying sometimes. I've had several different ones, and some were a nightmare to clean, the water 'gunk' builds up and every little nook and cranny has to be cleaned. I cleaned it thouroughly once a week, and poured it out and refilled it once in between. So the water was replaced twice a week. Cats absolutely love them, though some take a while to get enough courage to try them. it definitely encourages drinking!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have three different models of Drinkwell. They have all been durable and my cats love them; however, the water does make a trickling sound and at night i turn the one in the bedroom off. They all have lasted several years.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also use the pioneer rain drop drinking fountain, but its the smaller 60 oz size and its difficult for greg or arnold to get their heads into the opening to drink (20 pound plus cats). I need the larger size.

The filters aren't cheap either. But greg drinks from it alot, although he has taken to laying on the floor when he uses it as the drinking area is small for him.

I have the stainless steel model. It can vibrate if not kept full, but we change the water daily, so it's always topped up.

I have taken the pump apart and cleaned it many times with no breakage.

I disassemble the fountain and run it thru the dishwasher. So far had it at least 2 years with no issues. It runs 24/7.

If I can find the larger model at a reasonable price i will buy it for the boys.

Last edited:

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are very happy with the Catit Flower fountain. I have modified it so that the flower is higher in order to have the water drop further (more closely mimics drinking from a faucet).

2 of our 4 cats drink exclusively from the fountain. Since it is so critical, I have purchased a replacement pump (from Amazon which is much cheaper than from the manufacturer) just in case. And, I buy generic filters from Amazon.

FetchingCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is so cute! I love it when a cat drinks out of my cup, hahaha
Drinkwell Platinum is quiet, until the water level gets too low to operate properly. It's easy to take apart and clean. I agree the filters get pricy, but we fill it with Brita water anyway

sargon

Super Cat
Purraise
The fountain filters cost a bit, but you pretty much have to use fountains if you feed any dry food so you may save some money that way.

You can take the pioneer pet filters apart and refill the charcoal (use a high end aquarium filter media charcoal) to get a bit more life out of them. it is a bit of a hassle, and you only get 1 refill, but it is a ways to save a few bucks, if that's a priority

The stainless steel are great for cleaning in a diswasher, but the vibration is a bit annoying, so i stick all mine on top of a soft mat ( I actually use cheap dish drying mats for it, and they work great)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy the Drinkwell filters in bulk from Amazon, and they are a little over $1 each. I don't think that's expensive. I change the filter every other time I fill the reservoir.

sargon

Super Cat
Purraise
I buy the Drinkwell filters in bulk from Amazon, and they are a little over $1 each. I don't think that's expensive. I change the filter every other time I fill the reservoir.
that's not bad, Pioneer pet are like 2-3 times that, sadly

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are very happy with the Catit Flower fountain. I have modified it so that the flower is higher in order to have the water drop further (more closely mimics drinking from a faucet).

2 of our 4 cats drink exclusively from the fountain. Since it is so critical, I have purchased a replacement pump (from Amazon which is much cheaper than from the manufacturer) just in case. And, I buy generic filters from Amazon.

We have a Catit as well. 2 out of my 3 like it. I find it easy to clean and it was relatively inexpensive and I just bought filters with it at the time to last the year. I use filtered water from my fridge in it. They like it best with the yellow flower part out. There is a cool one that lights up in the dark (I figured that was more for me than my cats.....since they are well....cats!).

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I bought Theodore a stainless Drinkwell fountain. I still keep a water bowl out to be sure he gets enough water. He has dry food out all day but prefers his can food and Blueridge Beef. I get the charcoal filters and pre-filters in bulk on Amazon.
IMG_20190820160656.png