Cat Was Vaccinated While 10 Days Pregnant...

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wasn't aware she was pregnant at that point, only noticed when she was 3 weeks in as her nipples started pinking up and she developed a rounder belly. Before this, I last brought her to be vaccined 1.5 years ago.

To be accurate she received a Feline Rhinotracheitis-Calici-Panleukopenia-Chlamydia Psittaci vaccine, if anyone is familiar with what that is. I'm now very worried that it could negatively impact the kittens. It didn't cause her to abort as she's at 30 days now and exhibiting more distinct physical pregnancy symptoms, but just scared that the fetuses might be deformed or something :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just read that these could possibly cause complications or death to fetuses. Now I would like to know if its possible for dead fetuses to still grow in the uterus as her stomach is steadily increasing in size. At least that would give me some hope that they would be born fine. I will be bringing her for an ultrasound ASAP.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am confused at your question. If they are dead fetuses they need removed asap. They will not be born fine. There could be other reasons her belly is swelling, if it is filling with infection perhaps. I am not trying to scare you, in all reality they are probably fine. But this is something you want to work with your vet on. I would get an ultrasound to see if there are heartbeats and movement. Was this a planned pregnancy? If they fetuses have passed I would spay her when they go in to remove them since it is an invasive surgery already.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's good that you are getting an ultrasound. At this stage you would see heartbeats if there are live fetuses. Let us know how it goes.
If they are dead fetuses they need removed asap.
At only 30 days gestation, dead fetuses will generally be reabsorbed naturally by the body. Early fetal death happens all the time, and we usually don't know that it even happened. Intervention isn't needed unless there are signs of infection or illness. The only reason you would do surgery at this point would be if you plan to spay the cat anyway.

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am confused at your question. If they are dead fetuses they need removed asap. They will not be born fine. There could be other reasons her belly is swelling, if it is filling with infection perhaps. I am not trying to scare you, in all reality they are probably fine. But this is something you want to work with your vet on. I would get an ultrasound to see if there are heartbeats and movement. Was this a planned pregnancy? If they fetuses have passed I would spay her when they go in to remove them since it is an invasive surgery already.
My question was whether dead fetuses could continue growing physically (like how a brain dead/vegetative person could be kept 'alive' on life support since that keeps the body going although the brain is no longer functioning) however, i doubt the kittens are dead bc her nipples started pinking up at week 3. Yes I'm definitely bringing her for an ultrasound ASAP.

on the topic of infection, I doubt that's the case as she is active, eating well and there's nothing off with her daily habits. She seems happy and comfortable too.

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's good that you are getting an ultrasound. At this stage you would see heartbeats if there are live fetuses. Let us know how it goes.

At only 30 days gestation, dead fetuses will generally be reabsorbed naturally by the body. Early fetal death happens all the time, and we usually don't know that it even happened. Intervention isn't needed unless there are signs of infection or illness. The only reason you would do surgery at this point would be if you plan to spay the cat anyway.
Argh, thank you for the reassurance!! I was panicking the moment I read that cats shouldn't be vaccinated during pregnancy since she was vaccinated, her tummy has been growing larger so I assume they're still alive and growing? I now just pray that there won't be any defects.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's probably best not to make any assumptions until the ultrasound. Cats can pink up and become rounder in the belly even from a "false pregnancy" (hormonal pregnancy). Ultrasound is the best way to detect pregnancy and see if she has live fetuses in there.

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's probably best not to make any assumptions until the ultrasound. Cats can pink up and become rounder in the belly even from a "false pregnancy" (hormonal pregnancy). Ultrasound is the best way to detect pregnancy and see if she has live fetuses in there.
Yep I've heard of false pregnancies as well. However with what you guys have informed me I think it's unlikely the fetuses are dead as (if I'm not wrong) if so her stomach wouldn't have continued to swell or she would probably have miscarried. Seems like the likelihood of a false pregnancy is higher than the fetuses dead at this point (?)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You wouldn't see evidence of a miscarriage so early in pregnancy. Normally any dead fetuses would be silently reabsorbed by the body. Often the cat will continue to appear pregnant for quite some time. You won't know for sure what is going on until you get the ultrasound.

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You wouldn't see evidence of a miscarriage so early in pregnancy. Normally any dead fetuses would be silently reabsorbed by the body. Often the cat will continue to appear pregnant for quite some time. You won't know for sure what is going on until you get the ultrasound.
As of today, she's 31 days in. Earlier you mentioned that if they were dead before 30 days they'd be reabsorbed right so I guess that isn't the case? yeah I guess the ultrasound would be certain. I'm just trying to expect or be mentally prepared for the most likely scenario for now

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh i forgot to mention as well that my cat was already vaccinated previously, this time when she went for the shot it was a booster

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As of today, she's 31 days in. Earlier you mentioned that if they were dead before 30 days they'd be reabsorbed right so I guess that isn't the case? yeah I guess the ultrasound would be certain. I'm just trying to expect or be mentally prepared for the most likely scenario for now
No, the reason I mentioned the specific number of 30 days was only because you said she was 30 days along. Generally as a rule of thumb, if the kittens die before the bones calcify (around 6 weeks gestation), the fetal tissue will normally be reabsorbed. If the kittens die after the bones calcify, some tissue will be reabsorbed and some will be naturally expelled (since bones can't be reabsorbed). Both of these processes can take time to happen, but no intervention is needed unless you see signs of infection or illness.

I don't know what is the most likely scenario for your cat's pregnancy. Although I know that vaccination during pregnancy has the potential to cause problems, I don't know how likely it is to cause problems (most of the time, some of the time, or only sometimes)... You will find out what is going on when you get the ultrasound.

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, the reason I mentioned the specific number of 30 days was only because you said she was 30 days along. Generally as a rule of thumb, if the kittens die before the bones calcify (around 6 weeks gestation), the fetal tissue will normally be reabsorbed. If the kittens die after the bones calcify, some tissue will be reabsorbed and some will be naturally expelled (since bones can't be reabsorbed). Both of these processes can take time to happen, but no intervention is needed unless you see signs of infection or illness.

I don't know what is the most likely scenario for your cat's pregnancy. Although I know that vaccination during pregnancy has the potential to cause problems, I don't know how likely it is to cause problems (most of the time, some of the time, or only sometimes)... You will find out what is going on when you get the ultrasound.
True, I was just thinking more along the lines of 'if she was vaxxed 10 days in, today's day 31 and if the fetuses have died due to the vaccination and been reabsorbed they probably would have already been, given the span of 21 days', but her tummy has kept growing larger and so have her nipples. Thanks for the advice everyone, will update regarding the ultrasound!

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I brought my beloved girl for an ultrasound today. She is expecting at least two babies and they're very much alive with beating hearts and all! Also strangely my vet said that the vaccination shouldn't have been an issue or hurt the fetuses.

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You must feel very relieved!!
Maybe your vet had used killed vaccine? That is supposed to be safe in pregnancy.
No, the vaccines are live but according to my vet they're super super attenuated and weak so it's unlikely that they might have caused damage. I also recalled that my cat didn't get a fever or show any signs of discomfort after the vaccine so I don't know if that further assures anything, oh and also prior to this she already did get the shot a year ish ago so this was more of a booster.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know anything about pregnant cats, but in my mares you vaccinate early in pregnancy. It is recommended and helps the foal.
I wouldn't think a cat would be that much different. You should have non-deformed healthy kittens.

kaleidoscopesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know anything about pregnant cats, but in my mares you vaccinate early in pregnancy. It is recommended and helps the foal.
I wouldn't think a cat would be that much different. You should have non-deformed healthy kittens.
That's cool! Lots of online journals and medical sources say otherwise for cats however, which was why I freaked out. Then again, those who didn't know that they shouldn't vaccinate and had normal kittens wouldn't have posted anything about that since no hiccups occurred. Just praying that they're okay!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was curious about horse vaccines, so I just looked here
Owner Core Vaccination Guidelines | AAEP
I only skimmed this so I could have missed something... but it looks like most of the vaccines used in horses are killed ("inactivated")? It looks like the one live vaccine on this list (West Nile Virus) isn't considered safe in pregnant mares.

Killed vaccine is considered safe in pregnancy in cats, too. The risk is with live vaccine.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the thing, which vaccines are live and which are dead.
I don't think I've ever used a 'live' vaccine, and I have no idea what they use on cats. The vet just does it when it's time.
The only thing I know of pregnant cats is that they need kitten food and a source of calcium. Mine have always been fixed and I only foster orphans.
I still believe, though, if they are healthy now, they will be alright. And I hope I'm correct about this.