cat was sick, then better, now sick?

andread

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
long story short: got new kitten and all three adult cats got sick. it worked its way thru our house in a pattern--first vomiting, then diarrhea and loss of appetite, then respiratory symptoms. all were treated and all recovered (or did they?).

my question concerns the eldest, a 14yo indoor only male:

during the thick of his illness, he received sub q fluids, force feedings, steam showers, etc. when he didnt respond to metronidazole, he began a course of liquid doxycycline two weeks ago, which he finished a week ago. hegot better! eating, playing, drinking water, pooping normally.

for the last 24 hours, tho, he has been licking his lips nonstop and gagging intermittently. he regurgitated undigested food immediately this evening but has resumed eating and drinking since.

can he have relapsed? does he need another bout of antiobiotics? anyone ever seen anything like this?

peaches123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originganlly from Massachussetts now living in Nor
Hi Andred.  I went through the same thing when I adopted Peaches and Zoe.  Peaches was on deaths door after her spaying at the MSPCA.  She had a repertory infection, would not eat or drink for almost 2 weeks.  After multiple trips to the vet who specialized in cats, forced feedings, IV fluids, and pilling one day I came from work she was finally up and about and eating.  Then I introduced her to Zoe, who she licked from head to toe, I introduced them to my older cat Daisy.  Well, wouldn't you know it but Daisy got the repertory infection, and it was force feeding and pilling again! for two weeks Daisy was in "isolation" in my house, but she pulled through.  So, just keep an eye on her, if she's eating and drinking a bit it just might be and upset tummy.  Hope she recovers soon.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

andread

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Peaches123! Boy, just knowing other people have dealt with this nightmare goes a long way toward making it better. He hasn't regurgitated today, seems to be eating, and is licking his lips/gagging less often. He did hack up a little bit of clear bubbly saliva (maybe a teaspoon?) but otherwise seems ok. Even played with his favorite blue ribbon. Don't feel like he is symptomatic enough right now to justify a trip to the vet ... Right? Thanks again.

peaches123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originganlly from Massachussetts now living in Nor
Thank you Peaches123! Boy, just knowing other people have dealt with this nightmare goes a long way toward making it better. He hasn't regurgitated today, seems to be eating, and is licking his lips/gagging less often. He did hack up a little bit of clear bubbly saliva (maybe a teaspoon?) but otherwise seems ok. Even played with his favorite blue ribbon. Don't feel like he is symptomatic enough right now to justify a trip to the vet ... Right? Thanks again.
No problem, I just wanted to let you know I dealt with the same thing.  BTW, even though Peaches is getting better she too gags up white/foamy saliva, about a teaspoon also.  It seems like your kitty is on the mend too!  I'm so happy for you and your older cat are feeling better also.  When I say I'm happy that you are better too, I know what a load off your mind it must be, that your trauma of taking care of all your cats.  It takes a lot of time and energy and patience taking care of multiple sick cats so you get a big thumbs up!  You did a great job andread!  If it weren't for you all your kitties wouldn't be healthy and happy again.  Job well done!