cat wants outside at night. going to front door and meowing for an hour

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i don't really want to let her outside. i think most people here agree with that. last night prepared to sleep, then she started mewoing at my room's door. i thought she just want to explore the house because it's quiet at night and little noise to scare her, but she keep meowing turned out she just sat and occasionally digging at the floor where the door is like she wants out. she doesn't do it in the day, she just hangs out around the living room. it's just night she looks at the door looking all forlorn. she was a stray just 11 days ago so maybe her instinct is to prowl outside at night. eventually i lure her inside my room again i went to sleep. she went on meowing for another hour or so before get tired and go to sleep again.

what do i do? just ignore her and she'll learn it's not opening?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, just ignore her and she will stop doing it in a few days or if you are unlucky weeks. It can become a lingering annoyance if she is able to dart past you when you go in and out, so be very vigilant about that. If you can prevent it for a while, the danger should pass.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thanks. i played with her last night so she should be already tired. maybe i should keep that up so she sleeps at night

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Her antics lasted a bit shorter today. She does wacky stuff to get my attention lol. She's definitely manipulating me because she's quiet whenever i am not around. Smart girl.
IMG_20200809_220747.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Eleven days is not that long, and yes, they can be manipulative. Just keep working on this and she will realize that her new, and much nicer home, is indoors. When I brought in a recent rescue we intended to adopt there were a few rocky days and then it suddenly all was fine.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
thanks. i played with her last night so she should be already tired. maybe i should keep that up so she sleeps at night

I play with my four for about 30 minutes before feeding them and I found that really helps them with sleeping soundly through the night!

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestion. She did this several times at 3 and 5 AM. It's not long and thankfully i didn't lose too much sleep
20200809_224337.jpg

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can cats hurt themselves trying to scratch at the door? Overall i am getting used to her yowling but she seems to scratch (either at my door if i lock her in my room or the front door if i let her out in living room)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can cats hurt themselves trying to scratch at the door? Overall i am getting used to her yowling but she seems to scratch (either at my door if i lock her in my room or the front door if i let her out in living room)
No, the main reason they scratch is to wear out/break the nails which otherwise just keep growing. No nail clippers in nature and all that. Trying to open the door is just a side hobby, biologically speaking. So worry about your door, and your sanity, not the cat.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had this issue with a former male cat that we owned. We would take him out onto the porch every once in a while. He got used to it and would cry at the front door when he wanted to go out. For him to go out, we had to go out. So if we didn't want to go out, we would just ignore him. Eventually he stop randomly asking to go out and seemed to look forward to going out when we wanted to.

I am hoping to get the new kittens used to go out when they are older. Start out with harnesses to keep them on the porch. Hopefully eventually doing away with the harnesses and them learning to stay on the porch. Having only been house cats instead of barn cats for about two months, I think it's too soon to let them out. Might remember the freedom and bolt. :lol:

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My reply is in regard to your saying this cat is a stray that you've only had for 11 days....

Did you get her at a shelter or rescue...?
Or did you take her in directly from her roamings...?
Have you searched lost cat ads on the internet & at your nearest shelterS...?
Have you had her checked for a chip...?

Because it may have an owner that is very worried about & looking for her, since you won't let her out to go home.... (The owner may only be home at night, to feed & play with her.) And, it is the law where most live that a person who has found a pet like this to advertise it to the public for a specified period of time....

Cats vision is such that they can only see blurry images when in daylight. In the dark & low light is the only time they have clear vision of anything. It is also cat's natural time to hunt -and- the natural time for mice & rats to go scavenging (there are moths to chase down, too).

Please consider the following if you took this cat in directly.... They are great articles that help those wondering whether a cat living near them actually needs their help, or not . . . advise on how to figure it out -&- learn what's best to do. (:

"Just Because I’m Roaming Doesn’t Mean I’m Lost"
- Protecting Community Cats
Just Because I’m Roaming Doesn’t Mean I’m Lost
"How to Tell if a Cat is Homeless or Cared For"
How to Tell If a Cat Is Homeless or Cared for

Thank You!

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My reply is in regard to your saying this cat is a stray that you've only had for 11 days....

Did you get her at a shelter or rescue...?
Or did you take her in directly from her roamings...?
Have you searched lost cat ads on the internet & at your nearest shelterS...?
Have you had her checked for a chip...?

Because it may have an owner that is very worried about & looking for her, since you won't let her out to go home.... (The owner may only be home at night, to feed & play with her.) And, it is the law where most live that a person who has found a pet like this to advertise it to the public for a specified period of time....

Cats vision is such that they can only see blurry images when in daylight. In the dark & low light is the only time they have clear vision of anything. It is also cat's natural time to hunt -and- the natural time for mice & rats to go scavenging (there are moths to chase down, too).

Please consider the following if you took this cat in directly.... They are great articles that help those wondering whether a cat living near them actually needs their help, or not . . . advise on how to figure it out -&- learn what's best to do. (:

"Just Because I’m Roaming Doesn’t Mean I’m Lost"
- Protecting Community Cats
Just Because I’m Roaming Doesn’t Mean I’m Lost
"How to Tell if a Cat is Homeless or Cared For"
How to Tell If a Cat Is Homeless or Cared for

Thank You!
I took her directly from the steeets. Already checked to the vet for standard procedure no chip, nothing and i already seen her for the past year where i took her jist roaming.

I am pretty sure she had no prior owner. Today is the worst episode yet. She kept it up basically all night.

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What are you doing -on purpose or maybe without realising it- in response? I've found that TOTALLY IGNORING them works best, but even that must be CONSISTENT at all the right times. In other words, when you don't want the behavior to be repeated, you ABSTAIN in TOTALLITY from: looking at her; making any vocalizations to anyone; making any move toward or touching her; leaving any food particles where she can smell them. If she comes to you, you turn away as though not aware she exists, and walk away, as long a the behavior continues. Never tell her she's doing better, as she may react to it as a breakthrough, & begin all over again. . . .

Does she have some cat grass ( type she definitely likes) to chew on & swallow, in case she gets an upset tummy? My cats seem to get an acid stomach about an hour before regular feeding time, and become quite urgent about wanting to get to their grass! Once they've had it, though, they pretty much settle back down.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What are you doing -on purpose or maybe without realising it- in response? I've found that TOTALLY IGNORING them works best, but even that must be CONSISTENT at all the right times. In other words, when you don't want the behavior to be repeated, you ABSTAIN in TOTALLITY from: looking at her; making any vocalizations to anyone; making any move toward or touching her; leaving any food particles where she can smell them. If she comes to you, you turn away as though not aware she exists, and walk away, as long a the behavior continues. Never tell her she's doing better, as she may react to it as a breakthrough, & begin all over again. . . .

Does she have some cat grass ( type she definitely likes) to chew on & swallow, in case she gets an upset tummy? My cats seem to get an acid stomach about an hour before regular feeding time, and become quite urgent about wanting to get to their grass! Once they've had it, though, they pretty much settle back down.
I didn't know about the grass thing!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The "ignore" method works on a lot of behaviors. Boone and Gracie know around the time their dinner is usually served. It's around our dinner time. They learned that when they see me in the kitchen, it must be time. But sometimes I have to prep dinner earlier than normal but the kittens will be by my feet crying anyway. If it is "close enough", I will give in. But if not, I ignore them and they will give up and wait.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Intact cats 'keep it up' whenever a female is in heat. Is she spayed?
They become VERY compelled to find a mate!!!
not yet. it might be that yes, but the yowling isn't as loud as mating call i know from local strays. she still have to get rabies shot next sunday then spay.