Cat Wants Me To Watch Her Poop.

Lunabean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I’ve always known my cat was a lovable weirdo but lately she’s been doing something even weirder than normal. She’ll meow and/or scream at me until I follow her and every single time she does this it’s to the litter box so I can watch her poop. She did this every once in a while when she wasn’t feeling well before but now for some reason it has become a common occurrence and the vet says she’s in perfect health. She’s the only pet in the house and she has been acting normal otherwise so it’s not that she is afraid of getting attacked in there and needs a guard. I was just wondering if anyone else’s cat does anything similar and any theories on why she might do this. She does like to follow me into the bathroom so maybe she’s just thinking that’s what we do in this house follow each other to the bathroom (her litter box is kept in there) :flail:

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read the title and if I wasn't in the store by myself i would have gotten weird looks for the very loud HA! I let out.

Shadow likes for me to watch her eat. When I feed her, I literally have to sit there for at least 5 mins while she eats. If I feed her and walk away she will follow me around, rubbing on my legs like she does when she wants to be fed.
She is in the same situation as yours, she's a single pet. I think she just likes the company. When I sit down for dinner, she's usually sitting there watching me eat. She doesn't beg and only occasionally shoves her face close to my food.
If she's watching you in the bathroom, it's possible she thinks that's what you're are supposed to do. Haha

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Odd, but good that she uses her box. If you want to try to wean her from the habit, I would take a little longer to follow her and stand a little farther away from her box every time she calls for you

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
lordy lordy LOL

Kal_shadowsmom Kal_shadowsmom I read the title and if I wasn't in the store by myself i would have gotten weird looks for the very loud HA! I let out.
:lol:

I'm just curious, What does she do when you're not home?
What would happen if you gave her another litter box to chose from?

I love cats ;) :petcat:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a dog like this once. She wouldn't poop in the backyard unless you were watching her from the door. When we puppysat by cousin's dog (they were both Westies), the cousin's dog wouldn't poop unless you weren't watching. Made bathroom trips quite tricky ...

I usually politely look away when my cats are pooping. I feel like I owe them a little privacy lol.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This behavior is seen in dogs more often but cats will do it too. It's a safety thing. They are vulnerable, when pooping especially, in that moment and are looking to you for cues on if it is safe. Vunerablitiy is due to inability to turn around and they can't see what's behind them. She wants you to be her lookout essentially so she knows it is safe and can relax (literally). If you were to startle or run, she'd know to stop and move now.

It's probably why our cats want to be in the bathroom with us too. They want to return the favor and be our lookout.