Cat walks sideways, hindquarters

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's hard to explain, and kinda subtle. But I notice him sometimes and it seems like his hindquarters walk a bit sideways for short periods of time. He is a stray, homeless cat. When I see things odd like this, it makes me worry. I do the best I can to keep him fed, and to fix his wounds when he gets in fights. Have you ever seen a cat do this? Is it something I should be worried about? I won't be taking him in to a vet unless it's absolutely necessary.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you checked him over fo and wounds, scratches cuts or old wounds. Nothing stuck in paws or feet? Hind end look ok? The thing is that if it strikes you odd, I always advise people to trust their instincts. Instincts are generally something inside you picking up that something isn’t right. A vet visit is always your best option in cases where it keeps being noticeable. It could be so many things, especially as an outside cat. I understand it is sometimes and to take a homeless cat it out the expense is difficult but the best answer is a vet answer. If you could schedule him for being neutered then he could be checked out and also neutered at the same time which would really keep him much safer. No risk of fights, disease or getting others pregnant and raising the number of homeless and unloved, uncared for kitties. If he does have a problem that is caught earlier, that can mean faster and probably less expense to help him. I hope you can get him straightened out as well as neutered to end future problems and injuries. You’re doing great to give the poor guy a helping hand and food to fill his furry tummy! Thanks for all you ate doing!!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
He could have an injury you can't see, he could be starting to get arthritis, which can be helped by adding a supplement to his food.

As someone who has cared for a lot of feral tom cats over the years I can assure you that you will save yourself a lot of money, vet visits, worry and heartbreak if you can get him neutered.

Tom cats get themselves into so many fight, all they do is fight and reproduce. They're such lovely affectionate boys once they've been fixed and it really doesn't have any negative impact on their lives at all.

As Jcatbird said, if you can schedule him for a neuter the vet will be able to examine him properly at the same time and treat any other health problems. You'll be doing so much to improve his quality of life with that one simple act.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am reluctant to get him neutered. I have another cat who sleeps in my garage. He used to be just like Larry (the cat mentioned above). He was constantly wandering, but he was happy. I had him fixed, and now he sleeps in my garage all day. He seems to have no motivation or no reason for living. It really breaks my heart. To say it doesn't have any effect on them is false.

LuxBear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m more leaning toward the neutered cat is more comfortable because he no longer has the biological urge to wander, fight and reproduce. Cats sleep all day. That’s normal behavior. If you have the means I would suggest the neuter of the intact male. He’s probably injured and you just can’t see it. An intact stray tom has a hellacious (most times short) life.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I am reluctant to get him neutered. I have another cat who sleeps in my garage. He used to be just like Larry (the cat mentioned above). He was constantly wandering, but he was happy. I had him fixed, and now he sleeps in my garage all day. He seems to have no motivation or no reason for living. It really breaks my heart. To say it doesn't have any effect on them is false.
myfamily myfamily I think it's important to know that TCS is a pro spay and neuter site.
In our forum rules:
3. This is a pro-spay-and-neuter website. Please make sure to spay and neuter your cats. Unless you are a professional breeder and your cat is part of a professional breeding program, please educate yourself to the importance of spaying and neutering by the time your cat is 4-6 months old. If you take care of a feral colony, please make sure to do so responsibly by practicing TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) protocols within the colony.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand what you are saying about the cat in the garage. As someone who watched some very large cat colonies over many years I know we all hate to take the hormones but I think what you are seeing is that he is finally safe from being attacked, doesn’t have to fear being run off from the place he has claimed as home( they do stick to the places they claim as territory even after neutering) and no more urge to constantly be on the pursuit in spite of being wounded, hungry, cold, wet, hot or sick. He’s in his safe haven. I don’t know if he has had any socializing but I bet he would be a Snuggler! I got all these colony cats fixed and it’s awesome how much they settled and love being together and being loved on.
Even if you decide against neutering, the kitty needs attention. Your instincts about his walk are very important. You obviously care a great deal about kitties. Thank you for being one who does care. Sending all the good vibes for you both that I can. Be well kitty!!

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
To say it doesn't have any effect on them is false.
Well, it has very profound effects on them, but I don't think it has any negative effects. I know you're reluctant to get him neutered, but I think you're projecting how you would feel onto this cat, rather than seeing it from the cats point of view.

This fixed cat sleeps safely in your garage all day, and can wander the neighborhood in peace rather than constantly getting into fights with other male cats. It sounds like a very nice life to me.

Intact tom cats get to be king for a short time, but then they are dethroned by younger, stronger males and it's always violent. In order to become the toughest tom on the block they have to have numerous fights and often get seriously hurt. If they survive and make it to the top it's only a matter of time before another cat challenges and defeats them.

This is Harvey.

Harvey1.jpg

When I met him he had such a horrific injury on his back it looked like something had tried to bite him in half. I managed to trap him and get him to the vet. The vet said he'd lost several fights with other tom cats and these cats had tried to bite his spine, which is how male cats disable and kill their rivals.

He needed surgery to cut away the infected tissue and then stitch up his wound. He was also FIV+ after being in so many fights. He lived with me for a year, but eventually became so sick we had to have him PTS.

For Harvey, Five Years Gone.

This is Gin kun.

Ginkun2.jpg

He wasn't quite as badly hurt as Harvey, but he needed antibiotics for ulcerated cat bites to his back legs, surgery to stitch a torn ear back together and was also FIV+

I Guess It's Time.

Both of these cats suffered a lot because they lived outdoors as intact males. Both became infected with a fatal contagious disease. Both undoubtedly fathered feral kittens that went on to suffer and die in a similar way.

I'm sure lots of other posters on TCS have similar stories about male cats they've cared for.

Domestic cats aren't wild animals, any more than dairy cows are. They're a species that only exists because human beings have taken a wild animal and modified it over the years to become a domestic animal that relies on us in order to survive. We're responsible for their well being, so getting any cats you feed spayed and neutered is the best way to ensure they stay healthy.

Please consider it, you really will be doing him a favour.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise

I understand what you are saying. I wish they would come up with a way to sterilize them without completely taking away their hormones.

I too, have an old tom that I am trying to catch, get neutered, and then take him home with me to live. Last night he was limping and his back foot was covered in blood. As much as I hate to clip his wings, I can not stand the thought of him being killed in a cat fight. There will always be a younger and more robust tom standing around the corner, just waiting to knock the old guy off his throne.

If this sidewalking has come on suddenly, chances are that your guy has been injured, either by another cat, a dog, or even by a car clipping him. Please get some pain meds from your vet to mix into his food and then please reconsider neutering him. His reign will not last forever, nor will it end peacefully.