Cat Walking And Adventure Cats Experience?

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I walk my cat. I take him on mountain paths. I found these habits very rewarding.

Who else does these activities and what are your (positive and negative) experiences?

Thank you very much for sharing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, on leash. In the forest, the leash is somehow difficult to handle.

I could not find here cat-specific harness. I suspect the shops here sell the rabbit ones re-labeled for cats.

smurf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We built a large pet enclosure for our pets so they can enjoy the outdoors. It started out as a small area we made from materials we had around the house. Once we saw how much use we got out of the enclosure we just kept adding unto it. There are different levels and a shaded area with chairs and a cement floor we made with thin cement squares. There is also a grassy area with some tall bushes. I sit out there with them since there is a full sized dog pen door we attached to make it easy for me to go in.

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We walk Makena nearly every day. He regularly goes for hikes with us as well. Makena LOVES to explore new areas and see new things. We have hiked together hundreds of times over the years.

Makena doesn't mind wading if there is exploring to be done

There's usually some climbing....

Makena's thin coat offers little warmth - he has several jacket types for winter and rain

Work often takes me away for a few days. The morning after I get back from being away is "big adventure/hike morning." Makena knows this and sleeps close by me, patiently waiting
for me to get up so we can head out..

We have many adventure stories: The time we both got tired and sat under some pine trees to rest...and woke up hours later with the sun setting and rain starting...

Or the time I was not sure which trail led back to the car - so I went with the one Makena seemed sure of. About the time I figured out it was not the trail I wanted to take, I realized it was actually a shortcut back. Not sure how Makena figured that one out.

The time Makena slipped and fell into a creek....in December with the temperature well below freezing. Had to walk two miles back home with a soaked cat inside my jacket. I got a little annoyed when he started to fall asleep "no way Makena, you are NOT napping while I gotta haul your 18 pounds of dripping wet butt back home!"

The time we started to head out and Makena froze - hair on his back straight up - then raced back to the door. Fifteen minutes later my phone alarm went off - there were tornadoes forming in the area.

I find nothing more relaxing, and no better time to find perspective in life, than while out hiking with Makena.

nahui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
bengalcatman bengalcatman , your pictures, story, and of course, Makena are all just lovely! There are a lot of trails around where I live, but sadly neither one of my cats would ever venture to go out hiking like that. They just don't like to be outside of their known territory, so instead I hike with my chihuahuas :blush:.

smurf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
bengalcatman bengalcatman , Love the photographs, you have a beautiful cat! It's wonderful that you can spend time outdoors with your little companion. We are urban dwellers so we make do with the outdoor enclosure for some fresh air and sunshine.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
We walk Makena nearly every day. He regularly goes for hikes with us as well. Makena LOVES to explore new areas and see new things. We have hiked together hundreds of times over the years.

Makena doesn't mind wading if there is exploring to be done

There's usually some climbing....

Makena's thin coat offers little warmth - he has several jacket types for winter and rain

Work often takes me away for a few days. The morning after I get back from being away is "big adventure/hike morning." Makena knows this and sleeps close by me, patiently waiting
for me to get up so we can head out..

We have many adventure stories: The time we both got tired and sat under some pine trees to rest...and woke up hours later with the sun setting and rain starting...

Or the time I was not sure which trail led back to the car - so I went with the one Makena seemed sure of. About the time I figured out it was not the trail I wanted to take, I realized it was actually a shortcut back. Not sure how Makena figured that one out.

The time Makena slipped and fell into a creek....in December with the temperature well below freezing. Had to walk two miles back home with a soaked cat inside my jacket. I got a little annoyed when he started to fall asleep "no way Makena, you are NOT napping while I gotta haul your 18 pounds of dripping wet butt back home!"

The time we started to head out and Makena froze - hair on his back straight up - then raced back to the door. Fifteen minutes later my phone alarm went off - there were tornadoes forming in the area.

I find nothing more relaxing, and no better time to find perspective in life, than while out hiking with Makena.
:wave3::clap::hearthrob::redheartpump::clap2::greenpaw::greenpaw::touched::bluepaw::bluepaw::catrub:

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
bengalcatman bengalcatman - nice story an pictures!

+++

Whenever my tomcat spots another one, he starts hissing and pulling the cord. On time I attempted to stop him and he went extremely aggressive on me. He is not neutered.

My cat seems to mark his "hunting" territory outside, in a parking lot nearby. That is strange, he seems to love parking lots better than urban parks.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@bengalcatwoman
I saw Makena in a tree. How did you manage to get her her back on ground?

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Makena is a beautiful kitty. You are so lucky to have him and he is lucky to have you. I can tell by your post that you love him very much.

Muffy

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
bengalcatman bengalcatman .......... My cat seems to mark his "hunting" territory outside, in a parking lot nearby. That is strange, he seems to love parking lots better than urban parks.
I wonder if there is a lot of mouse activity in/around the lot? Those cat noses don't miss a thing, I have noticed that Makena often "follows his nose" to places that would not seem of much interest to a cat.

Makena marks all the time outside: he can mark every 10 minutes for a whole afternoon. I have no idea where all the urine comes from, seems like he never runs out. He has heavily marked the borders of our property - male feral cats know where he lives and often go far out of their way to avoid "Makena's" territory.

@bengalcatwoman
I saw Makena in a tree. How did you manage to get her her back on ground?
Makena climbs trees nearly every day. When people see him climb they are shocked - he literally runs up the tree. He goes up, looks around, and comes right back down. He loves to climb, but mainly he wants to be with us walking and exploring. Makena knows not to get his lead tangled - but if it does get hung up, he knows how to back out of the harness (we leave it loose enough.) We don't clip his claws - they are VERY long and sharp.

His retractable lead is 26 feet long, so between that and the height of the person holding the lead, he can get up 30 feet or so. Occasionally Makena gets in a climbing mood, I unclip his lead and let him have at it - I have seen him zip up to 75 or 100 feet a few times.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine isn't much of an "adventure" cat, but we nonetheless go outside to get some fresh air for around 30 mins every day. She knows around what time we go out; after dinner. She'll come to me and wait patiently until it's time to go. It's something she looks forward to, and I do as well.

Elfie doesn't really walk much, though. She stays in the same area behind our house, lays down quite often and looks around. She eats some grass, looks at birds, hunts insects and interacts with other cats sometimes. After 30-40 minutes she usually goes back inside at her own request.

IMG_20170608_200742_edit.jpg

IMG_20170921_1733374.jpg

IMG_20170715_2026591.jpg

I have tried taking her with me to nearby forests/parks but she won't have it. She's a scaredy cat and doesn't trust new territory. Good for me though! Haha. As much as I love nature, I do not enjoy hiking. The bugs! The mud! The sun! Nope.

Every week we also go to my mom's for dinner. Cat's sense of time is amazing, and even though this only happens once a week Elfie can always sense when that day has come, and meows at the carrier or sits nearby it as if to say: "Lets go already!"

IMG_20170919_174409_628.jpg

Elfie is of course a very domesticated breed so she is as far away from the word "wild" or "energetic" as you can imagine, but for a gentle, calm, soft-spoken persian she is quite adventurous.

Last edited:

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update- perhaps useful experience for other guardians of adventure cats.

My lovely tomcat bit me during a walk on the urban park. My hand went swollen. Making a long story short: 4 days in hospital (after presentation to ER), on IV antibiotics; I am waiting a palm surgery.

The bite was barely noticeable. I didn't even knew he actually bit me. I thought it was just a little more powerful "love bite". I applied some Betadine on the wound, just in case, nothing else. Big mistake.

Never ever separate cats who want to fight. They are mortal weapons in the actual meaning of this words, take my words for it. It does not matter how "lovely " or "indoor" a cat is. When get bitten, present to ER right away!

I was an idiot. I mean it. I know how to handle cats, I even had a towel to throw on the cat if needed. BUT I didn't do none of the things are recommended in such cases. None. Instead, I took the cat in my arms, to pet him. Huge mistake.

What I am trying to say is that outside world is full of dangers not only for cats, but sometimes even for their guardians.

smurf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it is so important for our cats to have some outdoor adventures even if it is a short time everyday safely in the yard or whatever other way you and your cat go outdoors. One of the worries I have when letting your pets enjoy the outdoors is stray dogs or coyotes. I have seen coyotes in the daylight walking around especially in the winter months. Coyotes are not only common in rural areas but are now prevalent in cities I know a couple pet owners that have had a coyote jump their fenced in yard and kill their dogs. So it's always best to never let your guard down while letting any pets outside.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it is so important for our cats to have some outdoor adventures even if it is a short time everyday safely in the yard or whatever other way you and your cat go outdoors. One of the worries I have when letting your pets enjoy the outdoors is stray dogs or coyotes. I have seen coyotes in the daylight walking around especially in the winter months. Coyotes are not only common in rural areas but are now prevalent in cities I know a couple pet owners that have had a coyote jump their fenced in yard and kill their dogs
Well said!
From my (limited) experience, my cat started to ask for walks after the first "adventure" outside. Before that first adventure, he was a pure indoor cat.
In my country they are no coyotes, but at the countryside there foxes and other wild animals, so the advise applies.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I found rather difficult to procure an cat outdoor harness (the ones looking like a jacket or the straps-only ones, whatever). In my country I can find only the ones designed for the rabbits, but marketed for cats - therefore unreliable and dangerous for the cat. And not very handy I must confess (difficult to put on, to short - to name only few problems).

Any experience in DIY "adventure harness"? Thank you!

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I found rather difficult to procure an cat outdoor harness (the ones looking like a jacket or the straps-only ones, whatever). In my country I can find only the ones designed for the rabbits, but marketed for cats - therefore unreliable and dangerous for the cat. And not very handy I must confess (difficult to put on, to short - to name only few problems).

Any experience in DIY "adventure harness"? Thank you!
:hellocomputer:I bought Gypsy a 'Kitty Holster Cat Harness' on line from Crazy K Farm website. She is around 8lbs. I got her a XS works great, pricey and I paid $5 extra for a narrower neck. Worth every penny. You can see her in it in her album on my home site. Mynwood Cat Jacket looks to be an excellent product too.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
:kitty:
:hellocomputer:I bought Gypsy a 'Kitty Holster Cat Harness' on line from Crazy K Farm website.
Form the web-site:
"Kitty Holster cat harness is very difficult for the cat to remove, it is exceedingly easy for you to take off of your cat. "
The harness is secured by Velcro stripes. I am a bit concerned, given the "problem-solving" nature of the cats. I saw mine attempting to spin the keys to open the door (!!!). For the moment , unsuccesful. For the moment. :kitty:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
:kitty:

Form the web-site:
"Kitty Holster cat harness is very difficult for the cat to remove, it is exceedingly easy for you to take off of your cat. "
The harness is secured by Velcro stripes. I am a bit concerned, given the "problem-solving" nature of the cats. I saw mine attempting to spin the keys to open the door (!!!). For the moment , unsuccesful. For the moment. :kitty:
:crackup::lol: :lol2: :lolup:
:wave3:
It isn't as easy for humans to get off as they say. It is Very secure and easy to put securely on the cat. I highly recommend it.
Keep an eye on those keys!
:hellocomputer:

Last edited: