cat waking up hissing!

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so samantha is my most 'normal' cat (which is saying a lot) but she has a few quirks.  like she has no sense of smell and gets these tiny growths on her pads that i snip off with nail clippers.  perhaps the strangest thing we catch her doing regularly is hissing herself awake.  samantha sleeps deeply; we can pick up bed up off the couch and put it on the floor and she barely stirs.  i'm not sure if she is just really good at ignoring us or what.

so samantha will be deep asleep: even breathing, nothing twitching.  suddenly she'll jerk herself up and start hissing!  then she'll look around, clean something, and settle back in to sleep.  dh and i are thinking that she's dreaming or something, do you think that's likely?  or is there something else that could be going on?  samantha is healthy - no medical issues (aside from the whole not smelling thing).

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It does sound like she is dreaming.  Is there any chance of the other cats bothers her while she is sleeping or she has been ambushed by one of them while sleeping?  She may be thinking that she is going to be attacked? 

Yet it does sound like dreaming.  As long as she seems normal in every other way then I wouldn't worry.  If this is a new behavior, you might want to call the vet and schedule a check up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my youngest and only male, jake, has been giving samantha some trouble over the last few months, mostly trying to engage her in play and she wants NOTHING to do with it.  but we've never seen anyone ambush her while sleeping.  

of course, knowing how much jake chases her, maybe samantha's dreaming about that lol.