Cat w/unusual straining - been to vet 3x in 2 wks - ideas?!?!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Help!!! I'm slowly running out of ideas...and these forums are always so helpful!

Our 11-year old cat, Jo, has had, off and on over the years, some issues with crystals in his urine and with constipation. He was on a urinary tract health food for years, and we severely restrict any other food (although who am I kidding - we have 3 other cats in the house, every now and then if backs are turned during feeding time - he'll steal a bite of the others' foods - but rarely). We also add a tasteless fiber additive to his food to aid in the constipation issue. 

A few weeks ago he started showing what usually means he's constipated. He would go to the box and strain to crap (definitely that position), but nothing would come out. He'd seem to have trouble sitting - tending to "hover" over the floor in almost "sit" position - then just flop over. Very unusual for him. He  did the straining in the box a few times in the am after refusing to eat (he's a big boy - so that's unusual) and then (at this point - my husband and I both work from home - we started watching him closely bc that behavior often means a trip to vet to "un-constipate") within hours started doing it all over the house - even on beds, hallways, even next to his food bowl. Quickly he started crying, and vomitting bile all over, while still straining to go. I could tell he also had a temp. Got him to vet that day, and very slightly constipated (relieved by vet), no crystals in his urine. He did have a temp, so he got an antibiotic shot and we were told to add pumpkin to his food. He seemed to feel better, and used the box (both crap and pee) and ate a bit over the next 3 days. But the pumpkin he detested and we had trouble getting him to eat much. Then - 3 days after vet visit - behavior returned. All of it - including temp.

So 3 days after first visit - vet visit 2. No constipation but fever was back a bit. New antibiotic shot, changed his food to a high-end one supposed to be good for the digestive tract) and once again - home and seemed totally fine. For 4 days. Then back to square one. 3rd vet visit - no constipation whatsoever, no pain on palpitation. His fever was slight, but vet asked us to try a pilled antibiotic, pull the pumpkin bc his weight was dropping. He'd been lying around, fairly lethargic, just still seeming to feel cruddy - so a friend who does reiki on pets (energy massage work) - never sure exactly how much I believe, but it was like a weird miracle in front of our eyes. She "worked on him" (ran her hands about 2 inches from his body) - and he actually got up, went over, ate, drank, AND used the box for both things!!!! We were stunned. He got up and played - totally back to his old self 100%.  I'll admit, we ended up skipping the last 2 antibiotic pills (he's a HORRIBLE cat to pill) - - so I feel really guilty now. Because Friday afternoon most of the behavior returned. No extreme lethargy - and eating some and drinking for sure - but seems to sit very slowly (like when he's constipated), no fever, but a bit of the vomitting, and a lot of the going around the house "in crap position" as my husband calls it. 

My hubby wants to give it another day or two since he's acting like he feels fairly decent, and just watch and wait, since last time when he did go use the box finally (even though quantity was small) - he seemed 100% better. I want to get him back to vet. But money's tight -so I get it. Our vet is a "country vet" so cheap (very caring, never had an issue - and they know our cats well) - - but they don't have the big expensive equipment like an ultrasound on the premises.

So - - any suggestions on something else to try? Do we take him back and insist on further testing? At the very least blood tests? (which our vet will do in a heartbeat - but he didn't think it was anything beyond the antibiotic's reach). We're starting to feel frustrated - and hate seeing Jo so sad and uncomfortable :(

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Have you spoken to your vet about a laxative?  Since Jo feels so much better after using his box, maybe that would help.

I  think I'd go for the additional tests, even though it does seem like the antibiotic helps short term.  Has your vet told you what kind of infections he suspects might be responsible?  After three courses of antibiotics, it seems like it's time to check for an underlying issue.  I don't know what that issue might be - hopefully someone with experience with these symptoms will pipe in with some advice.   Poor Jo does sound like he's very uncomfortable at times, though.

Since your husband wants to wait to see how Jo does over the next few days, why don't you call your vet and ask him what he recommends?  It sounds like you have a good relationship with your vet and he knows Jo's situation.  

Please let keep us updated on Jo's progress.  
 he feels better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't asked about a laxative - - for some reason, never occurred to me. Partially maybe because last two times he was in he wasn't actually constipated (just completely acting like it). What really gets to me is that he seems to feel better at home once he actually uses the box (vs just going through the motions everywhere) - even if he'd been at the vet an hour before with all the symptoms and no "actual back-up". I'm so stumped. 

I hope someone with experience - if there is someone - in this odd issue chimes in (not that I don't REALLY appreciate your input @MargD!!!!). I think I will call the vet tomorrow - of course Jo's acting perfectly fine in most ways  (eating, etc) in the 30 minutes I've been home - but he has gone to the box with no results twice in that 30 minutes. 

It's so frustrating and distressing - and I hate seeing him seem confused - even if he seems less uncomfortable right at the moment. But I agree completely - 3 rounds of antibiotics in barely 2 weeks is a lot. Since it seems to come right back.