Cat vomitting way too frequently...Any advice?

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 3-year old male domestic shorthaired cat Boaz has been vomiting and vomiting off and on over the last 3 weeks. The first week, he vomited almost once a day. Now, over the last 2 weeks, the vomiting has been slightly less frequent, but still recurring too much for my comfort. He used to vomit once every month or two, usually a hairball issue.

What's causing him to vomit so often now? I really don't want to take him to the vet; I want to make sure I've exhausted all possibilities of treating him at home first.

I've been adding to his food (and I'll do it more often now) a teaspoon of canned pumpkin and coconut oil to help with digestion and hairball control and black charcoal powder to draw out any poison he might have in him. He hasn't lost his appetite. He runs around, spunks out and plays like a normal cat; if it wasn't for the vomiting and occasional diarrhea, you'd never know there was anything wrong with him. Is it IBD?

I also add a third of a teaspoon of diatomaceous earth to his breakfast each day as a general dewormer.

Any advice you could provide is much appreciated!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It certainly sounds like it could be IBD. But it could also be any number of diseases or conditions that could also cause vomiting.

Gastrointestinal Causes of Cat Vomiting
Non-Gastrointestinal Causes of Cat Vomiting
If you suspect it’s IBD, you’re going to spend at least a vet visit’s worth of money on food and supplement suggestions trying to avoid that vet visit. 🤦🏼‍♂️

And if it’s actually kidney disease, you could make matters worse with a high phosphorous food.

Take him to the vet and get some blood work done. Rule out many of those other conditions it might be before you venture too blindly into alternatives.

Not all of those conditions can be diagnosed or ruled out with blood work. If you’re worried about cost, blood work is probably the best value for limited funds. If blood work doesn’t point to something, the next recommended test is an ultrasound. This would be to rule out tumors and other anatomical anomalies but also to confirm inflammation that may point to IBD or lymphoma. However, you could try to treat this empirically as one first and then the other depending on how he responds to diet change and steroids. But “empirically” is a fancy word for a guess. So you want to rule out as much as you can before you start guessing because it will narrow your choices. Every choice will come with a cost (food, supplements, and time!) I know it sounds stressful and expensive to take him to the vet. But bloodwork alone can cross off a number of possibilities and the costs associated with them including the time spent trying to avoid the vet while trying to treat the wrong guess. Believe me. I’ve been there and done that. 🤦🏼‍♂️😿

Cat Throwing Up? Here’s Why and What to Do | PetMD

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you suspect it’s IBD, you’re going to spend at least a vet visit’s worth of money on food and supplement suggestions trying to avoid that vet visit. 🤦🏼‍♂️

And if it’s actually kidney disease, you could make matters worse with a high phosphorous food.

Take him to the vet and get some blood work done. Rule out many of those other conditions it might be before you venture too blindly into alternatives.
:yeah: Vomiting like this plus diarrhea, he needs to see a vet, yesterday.

Should You Add Coconut Oil To Your Cat’s Food? – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the Furballsmom Furballsmom . I hate to take my cats to the vet because it stresses them out, some worse than others. However, in a case like this, you need expert advice. You don't want your cat to get dehydrated, at the very least. Some IV fluids could give your cat much needed strength as your vet figures out what is wrong. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all! I will consider everything that's been said. Boaz does have issues with dietary indiscretion. He'll eat almost anything, so I have to keep him where I can watch him. I fed him a locust today and he gobbled it right down, but vomited it up about an hour later. I'm regretting offering the locust.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The diarrhea isn't constant. It comes on once in a while, then he goes back to normal firm but not rock-hard poops.
I do want to take him to the vet soon, but just now I'm trying to cut costs everywhere possible. I'm currently a land investor in training, getting ready to buy an investment property. I'm trying to figure out other options of what I can do to try to cure him myself or at least keep him from getting worse until I can get a land flip in. It would take me a long time to get the savings I currently have built up again.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand needing to save for an investment and that may be your future income but a vet check is still what I suggest. A vet check and simple bloodwork will be a small fraction of the cost of land. I don’t want to scare you and this is very different but I noticed one episode of my cat straining to poop. Vet check! Thank goodness I took her. Sometimes it seems simple but we only get one chance to stop something that can take them from us. At least a call to let your vet make suggestions or changes to what you are doing? Also, we are in hair shedding season here. That can make a huge difference in digestion. The vet may simply suggest a hairball medicine? A phone call can’t hurt. Good luck on your new career and I hope Boaz is over his tummy troubles.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My 3-year old male domestic shorthaired cat Boaz has been vomiting and vomiting off and on over the last 3 weeks. The first week, he vomited almost once a day. Now, over the last 2 weeks, the vomiting has been slightly less frequent, but still recurring too much for my comfort. He used to vomit once every month or two, usually a hairball issue.

What's causing him to vomit so often now? I really don't want to take him to the vet; I want to make sure I've exhausted all possibilities of treating him at home first.

I've been adding to his food (and I'll do it more often now) a teaspoon of canned pumpkin and coconut oil to help with digestion and hairball control and black charcoal powder to draw out any poison he might have in him. He hasn't lost his appetite. He runs around, spunks out and plays like a normal cat; if it wasn't for the vomiting and occasional diarrhea, you'd never know there was anything wrong with him. Is it IBD?

I also add a third of a teaspoon of diatomaceous earth to his breakfast each day as a general dewormer.

Any advice you could provide is much appreciated!
In Houston it will be in the 90's this week so I'm sure this will make them vomit more. Brush every day,give hairball control with omega 3s. I use cat lax. Canned food for moisture. Use timers if your gone long. The diaheria is more concerning. Watch your cat use the litter box. Is he in pain? It can also be stress related. If you wait to see a vet it could get worse then cost more

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanna add one more thing. My cat had mucus in her diarrhea. Because of her past he did xray and urinalysis. It cost total$250 including the meds. Much better now. Good luck! If I didn't take her in then possibly emergency room for $1000+ dollars

Last edited: