Cat vomits every night, only at night

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
My 11 neutered male vomits every night, have been to vet numerous times, tried pills which he fought so much, now on vet G/I special dry food and hairball laxative.  Trying grain-free foods, so far no difference, Any Suggestions,  Don't live near big pet food stores, just Petvalu........
I had a cat that vomited from dry food, I switched to grain free canned and it stopped, it's worth a try!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

canadian1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your input, he is still vomiting, at night and sometimes if I go out.  I tried an expensive G/I dry food from the vet but it didn't help.  He is currently on grain free wet and dry and hairball high quality food as there is a little bit of hair in the emesis.  Yesterday, no vomiting, that hasn't happened in awhile so maybe on to something.  Course it lasted only 1 day, but is an improvement.  

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your input, he is still vomiting, at night and sometimes if I go out.  I tried an expensive G/I dry food from the vet but it didn't help.  He is currently on grain free wet and dry and hairball high quality food as there is a little bit of hair in the emesis.  Yesterday, no vomiting, that hasn't happened in awhile so maybe on to something.  Course it lasted only 1 day, but is an improvement.  
Go grain free wet only, it should subside, does he catch mice or go outside, if so he could have worms

Last edited:

canadian1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is an indoor cat, Will try grain-free wet only, Financially will have to keep other cat on dry food which he gets free choice so he will have to have meal times from now on.  My IBD cat weighs 12 lbs, would 6 oz a day be enough?

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
It seems a lot of Gastro issues are worse on dry food, I think dry food exacerbates a lot of health issues, again this is my belief based on my own experiences. Also it seems like a lot of cats with health issues related to food on this site are fed dry and switch to wet only after an expensive vet visit. Again this is my feeling on the subject. Why not feed inexpensive wet from the beginning.

Last edited:

canadian1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Been on grain free dry, grain free wet and regular wet with no improvement, taking him for 2nd opinion at vets this week, acts normally otherwise, has gained weight on wet food which is good but eats alot of it.  Will let you know what new vet thinks.

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
Has he been wormed? Does he go outside? My vet said cats that go out kill prey and get worms over and over. I wormed my cat then put on revolution drops for fleas and heart worms. We switched to ONLY grain free wet and the vomiting went from every other night to never! I also bought a furminator and brushed her twice a week

Last edited:

canadian1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is an indoor only cat, was on grain free wet for over 3 wks with no difference, also gluten free wet also with no effect.  He has very fine soft short hair that I brush or comb,  I will ask the vet about worms as he sometimes does a throaty cough spell.  Thanks, will update later this week.

canadian1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, yesterday my cat had Upper GI Series and he has megaesophagus.  Anyone familiar or has any suggestions re feeding. please let me know.  I elevated his feeding dishes but he takes the food in his mouth and eats it off the floor!!!  Glad to finally get a diagnosis but wish there was treatment for it.  

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
My cat did that, got her wormed a second time, started revolution flea drops, removed All dry food and went to grain free canned, bought a furminator and it stopped totally. I used to let her out, that stopped too. Vet feels it was worms undetected in stool, I think it was the dry food. All is well now, no vomiting now for 2 years.

Last edited:

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
It seems a lot of Gastro issues are worse on dry food, I think dry food exacerbates a lot of health issues, again this is my belief based on my own experiences. Also it seems like a lot of cats with health issues related to food on this site are fed dry and switch to wet only after an expensive vet visit. Again this is my feeling on the subject. Why not feed inexpensive wet from the beginning.
I also used Vets Best (Amazon) hairball relief tabs they love the taste, it is slippery elm and psyllium. I no longer need it now

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi... my cat has same issue... did you find any Treatment?
Hello, F Fatima.j.k , and welcome to The Cat Site! This is an old thread so you might get better/more responses if you start a new one. And you'll most definitely get more responses if you describe more about your cat's situation. Things like: how long this has been happening, what your cat has been vomiting (for example, is it food, hairballs or clear liquid?), and a little about your cat's overall health and diet. A lot of things can make cats vomit so it can be difficult to sort out the causes!

In our cat's case, we can usually prevent her nighttime vomiting (it's clear, frothy liquid) by feeding her before we go to bed and hten giving her a small snack during the night.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately he still vomited on the SE so have been switching his food, both wet and dry to grain free, will give it some time but so far 1 day without vomiting
My cat vommits late at night so guessing it's because she hasnt eaten for 8 hrs I started setting my alarm at 4 am to give her some ff then back to bed. I dont mind since I get up to use the restroom anyways. Her throwing up every night/morning has stopped

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat vommits late at night so guessing it's because she hasnt eaten for 8 hrs I started setting my alarm at 4 am to give her some ff then back to bed. I dont mind since I get up to use the restroom anyways. Her throwing up every night/morning has stopped
Oh,wow! It is