Cat vomiting

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I've posted about my cat Jax before due to some liver issues a few months ago which cleared up within a few weeks. He has been normal since then, eating good, no weight loss and plenty of energy.

This past week though he has started to vomit and he also has very loose stool. I only remember one time recently when he's vomited so he doesn't do it very often at all. I did just bring a stray kitten into the house who tested negative or Felv and FIV but I didn't get a stool sample for the kitten checked even though it was advised (which I regret). My 3 cats and the kitten all use the same litter boxes and all seem to have loose stool. Can this be parasites possibly? I don't see any worms on any of them or in the litterbox but im assuming some parasites don't show up in the stool?

Jax has thrown up once every other day this past week but otherwise has seemed pretty normal. When he throws up there has been a pretty big hairball and its been an hour or two after he eats. He's still active though and doesn't seem too lethargic.

I should mention as well that I recently changed their dry food but the wet food has remained the same. I believe I probably switched the food too fast as well. Could this be causing the loose stool and vomiting even though it was almost two weeks ago that I switched the food?

Despite the loose stool, everyone seems normal. I'm just worried about Jax due to his past liver issues, especially since he's not keeping very much down. I was able to get a stool sample of his but the vet told me they have to send it out and it will be a few days before they get the results. Should I make an appt for jax in the meantime? I am also trying to get a sample of the kittens as well since he is the possible carrier if it is parasites.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The trouble is,it could be either a parasite or change of food to quickly. There's no way to tell without a stool sample to the vet, or time. It could be that they were tolerating the transition well when they were still getting some of their old stuff, but not now that they aren't getting that.

You could do a dehydration pinch check on the back of the neck on your cats to help make a decision. You gently pinch the skin at their back of neck and it should spring back in to place if well hydrated. If one cat is dehydrated from loose stool, they should see a vet.

I know many rescues in the area here use pumpkin to help with an upset tummy. Usually you just give a 1/4 tsp per pet for a day or two.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Am I reading correctly that each time Jax has thrown up there has been a hairball? If so, then that is probably the issue with the vomiting. You might try giving him some hairball medicine to see if he can get rid of it all if that continues. As to the lose stools, since all your cats have it, parasites are a possibility, and you are correct in that they are not all able to be seen with the naked eye. The fecal should tell you what's up there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The trouble is,it could be either a parasite or change of food to quickly. There's no way to tell without a stool sample to the vet, or time. It could be that they were tolerating the transition well when they were still getting some of their old stuff, but not now that they aren't getting that.

You could do a dehydration pinch check on the back of the neck on your cats to help make a decision. You gently pinch the skin at their back of neck and it should spring back in to place if well hydrated. If one cat is dehydrated from loose stool, they should see a vet.

I know many rescues in the area here use pumpkin to help with an upset tummy. Usually you just give a 1/4 tsp per pet for a day or two.
I will do the dehydration test and some pumpkin for them. Will the cat food that comes with pumpkin work or do I need to get pumpkin in a can at the grocery store? Thank you!

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Am I reading correctly that each time Jax has thrown up there has been a hairball? If so, then that is probably the issue with the vomiting. You might try giving him some hairball medicine to see if he can get rid of it all if that continues. As to the lose stools, since all your cats have it, parasites are a possibility, and you are correct in that they are not all able to be seen with the naked eye. The fecal should tell you what's up there.
Yes he is vomiting up large hairballs plus some food. He has been throwing up an hour or two after he eats and it's been at night every time. I have been noticing Jax biting, licking and scratching at his fur more than usual lately. Do parasites cause these symptoms? I know food allergies probably do.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Many things can cause itching. Food, environmental issues, parasites, even stress (think new kitten). And you should know that cats can develop allergies to some foods that they have eaten for years. Could Jax have fleas? If a cat is allergic to fleas, even one flea bite can cause havoc. Here's an article regarding skin conditions that might be helpful: Skin Conditions In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Will the cat food that comes with pumpkin work or do I need to get pumpkin in a can at the grocery store? Thank you!
For actual lose stools, I would probably go with plain canned pumpkin. And I would go up as much as 1 teaspoon per meal, up to three times a day. They may or may not like it though. Some cats love it, others not so much.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will do the dehydration test and some pumpkin for them. Will the cat food that comes with pumpkin work or do I need to get pumpkin in a can at the grocery store? Thank you!
Cat food with pumpkin should work or there are pumpkin only pouches by a few brands at the store, unsweetened and with real pumpkin so good for pets.

Some cans of "pumpkin" at the store for humans contains another type of squash so you must be cautious. Choose unsweetened as well if you go this route.

I've done both previously but usually save the human grade cans for if a cat needs it long term. We cat-sat a cat this was prescribed for. 1/4 tsp every second day.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi L Lindsayj014 !

If you want to put an end to hairballs once and for all, there's a sure-fire method for that. Eliminating those will likely make the puzzle-solving easier.

Here's a fairly short explanation: Hairballs: How Best to Manage Them (btw, the authors there are two of the most informed, committed TCS members that we have ever had!)

If you're going to trial this, just ensure that you begin with small quantities of either yolk or yolk lecithin.....a sudden increase in dietary fat will usually result in softer stool.....a slowly increasing 'dosage' is generally well-tolerated.

[I use NaturesPlus Egg Yolk Lecithin from Amazon.]

Keep us posted!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
have been noticing Jax biting, licking and scratching at his fur more than usual lately.
Hi
Does he have specific areas that he's biting at? You could apply some store bought unflavored chamomile tea to those, it will ease discomfort and is safe if he ingests it.

Every cat is different, so his system may or may not respond to pumpkin etc.

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since the fecal was negative for parasites, the vet did want to see him since he had high liver enzymes just a few months ago. He had a blood test, which came back normal, and was given probiotics to see if that will help with both the diarrhea and vomiting. Since then his stool has improved a little (still loose, but not diarrhea) and he went 5 days without vomiting.

However, this morning I found a hairball on a cat perch along with some clear mucus but no food. I have a young orange cat that also has minor hairball issues that I heard hacking late last night on that same perch. The hairball was pretty dark however and jax is black and white but I do feed them darker color food so could that hairball have came from my orange cat even though it was a darker color?

Hi
Does he have specific areas that he's biting at? You could apply some store bought unflavored chamomile tea to those, it will ease discomfort and is safe if he ingests it.

Every cat is different, so his system may or may not respond to pumpkin etc.
Not really any specific areas but I do see him licking a lot in his lower region such as his back legs, his back and by his genital area. I dont see any missing patches of fur though so I guess thats good but I found a dark hairball this morning and I'm not sure if it was Jax or my other cat that I heard hacking last night in the area I found it.

I am interested in perhaps trying the egg yolk lecithin but maybe I should consult with my vet first since I'm not even sure he was the cat that threw up this hairball and he has gone 5 days without a vomiting episode now.

My vet just gave him probiotics and I've also been giving him Jackson Galaxy b12 which I believe has given him more energy and increased appetite. His vomiting happened actually when I took him off the b12 cause I thought that might be causing his loose stool but I dont think that is the case anymore. He has maintained his weight too up until the vomiting started but even with that vomiting has only lost a couple ounces so nothing drastic.

Is it safe for Jax to take a probiotic, b12 supplement, pumpkin and egg yolk lecithin all at the same time? He's acting completely normal otherwise besides the excessive licking and biting so I don't want to overdue it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I'm not a vet, but the probiotic, B12, and pumpkin should be ok. After a little while after having added the pumpkin, try tiny amounts of the lecithin initially.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hairballs can be different colors depending on the cat's fur color, but think very wet fur with food and gastric juices mixed in :barfgreen: They will typically be darker than an orange cat's fur.

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hairballs can be different colors depending on the cat's fur color, but think very wet fur with food and gastric juices mixed in :barfgreen: They will typically be darker than an orange cat's fur.
Okay thank you so im definitely not sure which cat threw that up then unfortunately. You had suggested that Jax might have fleas and I'm afraid you could be right. I haven't seen any on him actually but I just found one on the new kitten. The kitten has been inside for over a month now but all of my cats go out in an enclosed porch almost every day and bugs/parasites can get into that room very easily.

I hadn't yet put flea preventative on the adult cats this month so it's probably very possible that Jax could have fleas since there last dose was the beginning of August. I will be picking something up for the kitten shortly too so I can kill the fleas currently on him. I only have seen one at the moment though.

Is there a good cleaning product I can use throughout the house?

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Could fleas be the cause of Jaxs diarrhea? His stool was getting a little better the past few days but it was again diarrhea this morning. He had pretty bad gas before he went too but that is the only time he seems to have gas throughout the day. He's still completely fine otherwise and hasn't had any vomiting episodes in a week beyond the hairball from a couple nights ago which might not have even been him.

How long does it take probiotics to work usually? He's been taking them for 4 days now. I did buy some pumpkin so I think I might try to give him some of that as well since I'm not sure the probiotic is working for his diarrhea.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
fleas can cause tapeworms, and tapeworms can cause diarrhea. IF he does have worms, I'm not sure any probiotics would help with that issue. Are you seeing any evidence of worms? Tapeworms would look like rice on his stools and possibly even in his bedding and around his anus.

If not worms, depending on the probiotics you are using, they are not necessarily a miracle cure. S. Boulardi works pretty fast. Some others not so much.

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dont see any worms and his stool was tested negative for parasites. He did have worms a while ago when he was really young and they were obvious back then. But im not seeing anything now.

His stool did look better today and the only food I didn't give him was the tiki cats stix that he loves and usually has daily with the b12 supplement. I do wonder if that can be what he might have an issue with? He did however throw up another hairball last night so im sure it was him on Friday night as well now. Hes barely throwing up any food anymore though it's mostly just the hairball and some clear mucus.

The probiotic he's on is proviable-forte which I was told by the vet yesterday could take up to 30 days for improvements. He's still licking/biting a lot which I think is the reason for the hairballs. It's beginning to sound like he might actually have a food allergy or intolerance, possibly to the new dry food I started giving him a month ago. I was thinking it could be ibd as well but im not sure if excessive licking is a symptom. I was hoping this would be a minor issue to fix but it doesn't feel like it's going to be.

I just had a cat pass away from cancer in June so im still trying to pay back all of those bills and it's pretty stressful right now. Jax is still acting normal and has good energy and appetite so it's a very different situation from my last cat but he has to be uncomfortable if he's itching/biting as much as he is. I will be getting the chamomile tea that was suggested and see if that helps relieve him a little as well.