Cat vomiting right after eating- but not regurgitation?!

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I would really appreciate some help/insight into what’s going on with my cat:

I feed my 1 yr old cat, wet food during the day and leave out a small amount of kibble at night for him to snack on. Lately, he’s been vomiting about once a week and always at night. Sometimes it’s right after he eats some kibble, sometimes it’s an hour or two afterwards.

It doesn’t have the tubular shape of regurgitated food, he’s definitely vomiting. It’s mostly brown liquid (not sure if this is a cause for concern, his wet food is brown) with whole pieces of kibble in it.

Could it be a food allergy? Or something else? The main ingredient in his kibble is chicken, but he seems to enjoy the chicken flavor of his wet food just fine?

thank you in advance!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Most cats eat kibbles whole and very hardly they’ll chew on it and an exception of some cats, they do tend to chew on food.

Laying all health issues aside, vomiting immediately is likely due to eating too fast and as they swallow the food, they swallow a lot of air too. Some do it immediately, some a short while later and some much later.

My boy does that if he eats too fast. He’s on wet food. Sometimes he vomits almost immediately even before he finishes and sometimes he’ll walk a few feet and then vomiting out what he just ate.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he’s been vomiting about once a week and always at night.
It’s mostly brown liquid (not sure if this is a cause for concern, his wet food is brown) with whole pieces of kibble in it.
Once I read that the most common reason to puke bile at night is hairballs. My cat puked exactly like this last month. I have reason to believe it was hairball-related mixed with stress. (Earlier that day there was a thunderstorm that freaked her out.) Maybe dehydration was also a factor, because normally my cat sucks at drinking water and I try to keep her hydrated with wet food. But after that puking incident, the next few days she actually drank water from the bowl on her own. Almost like she learned a lesson.

Also check if he's constipated and/or has hard stools.

If you don't already, I would give malt paste daily and brush at least once daily.