Cat Vomiting Clear Liquid

Mobypuppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I have a medium-long fur male cat going three this year that has been vomiting clear liquid, sometimes with hairball, almost every other day for a month. It always happens during early mornings - between 6am to 9am before his breakfast.

The first time I took him to the vet, the doctor suspected that he overgroomed himself due to mites and gave me two doses of advocate to apply on his neck. Also, she too adviced me to feed at least three smaller meals a day.

After going through the smaller meal regime, he vomits a little lesser, and when he does, the clear puddles are not as big but the thing is that he is still vomiting!

He still has a good appetite, no weightloss, plays and acts normal.

I’ll be bringing him to another vet for a second opinion, but in the meantime, I’ll like know if anyone is going though such problem or similar. Thanks!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Often a cat will vomit clear liquid, or bile if it has been to long since they last ate. could you try putting down some dry food for night time and see if this helps? You may feed only wet food, but all night without food is too long for some cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mobypuppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah. I changed my feeding from twice to thrice daily. One at 9.30am, another 6pm and before I sleep at 12am-1am.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did the vet do any bloodwork? If not, that should be done just to check all the blood values. If anything is off, the vet may be able to make a diagnosis or do further testing.

Clear liquid can indicate bile. An underlying medical condition can cause this. One of my cats started vomiting clear liquid frequently last month. The vet suspected what the problem was right away after doing an exam but still did numerous tests to confirm. My cat has IBD. Your cat is still young so IBD is unlikely but it's something to ask the vet about anyways. You can also ask about anti-nausea medicine to help prevent the vomiting.

Mobypuppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, LTS3. I’ve done a few reads of IBD on the internet and it sounds probable. I’ll highlight this to the vet.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about an acid reducer? My old ckd cat was throwing up bile and it was from excess acid. Ask the vet about this. Have you tested for pancreatitis? I’d also ask about cerenia for nausea.

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I have a medium-long fur male cat going three this year that has been vomiting clear liquid, sometimes with hairball, almost every other day for a month. It always happens during early mornings - between 6am to 9am before his breakfast.

The first time I took him to the vet, the doctor suspected that he overgroomed himself due to mites and gave me two doses of advocate to apply on his neck. Also, she too adviced me to feed at least three smaller meals a day.

After going through the smaller meal regime, he vomits a little lesser, and when he does, the clear puddles are not as big but the thing is that he is still vomiting!

He still has a good appetite, no weightloss, plays and acts normal.

I’ll be bringing him to another vet for a second opinion, but in the meantime, I’ll like know if anyone is going though such problem or similar. Thanks!
Oh my goodness I’ve been having the same problem. One dog used to do it because he would get “sour” stomach if he went too long between meals, we fixed it by making sure he had a few biscuits in between meals. When I remembered, I’ve left out extra food before I go to bed, and the last couple of nights I haven’t jolted up out of bed to sound of retching in the dark- yuck!!

Mobypuppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Brought him to vet this morning. The doctor did an X-ray and found out that he has lots of faeces in his colon. She gave him an enema and prescribed lactulose for the next few days, and recommended feeding him psyllium husk for maintenance.

Has anyone fed their cats psyllium husk? Do I just sprinkle the powder in his canned food?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat does the same nearly every morning, either if she hasn't eaten since the night before or she has had her food out all night long.
Nearly every morning between 5 and 7 she throws up. It may be some digested food, or just clear juices.

My cat has been diagnosed with IBD and she's on a special diet because we had found out that she's intolerant to a number of ingredients.

As for the psyllium, I have been giving her psyllium seeds for nearly 4 years now, just to keep her regular in her tray. She never missed a day, but as a matter of fact she's always been regular. It's just a thing that I do for her.
In the last week I stopped adding those seeds in her meal, because I wanted to address the culprit for her morning vomit. So I stopped giving her any meds, supplements or else she was taking.

Mobypuppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How did your vet make the diagnosis for your cat's IBD?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A biopsy of the intestinal tract is done. Other factors such as vomiting, weight loss, etc are factored into the diagnosis.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Ruby used to throw up that clear liquid all the time when I first adopted her, because she had former stray cat food obsession and would never leave food in her dish for later, so her tummy would have long periods between meals.

Once her food obsession lessened, so did the clear vomiting. I feed her the last meal right before I go to bed, so she can nibble overnight, and most mornings she's fine until breakfast. But whenever I wake up and see she didn't empty her dish overnight, I can expect the clear vomiting. Sometimes even as I am dishing her food out of the can. :sigh:

One suggestion I just recently read was a member who bought a timed dry food dispenser and had it set up to release a few pieces of dry food at 2:30 AM so her cat's stomach wouldn't be empty so long before breakfast.

My Ruby's vet also suspected IBD/IBS but never actually did any testing, as we pretty much solved her tummy issues with food scheduling.