Cat vomiting after eating RAW diet

LaynaLew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two cats, both under a year old, were doing a 20 day transition ( starting with meal 1 of 3 per day per cat ) to raw using FINE ground whole carcass ground rabbit: 75% Meat / 15% Bone / 10% Organ
( fur, stomach, and intestines are removed ) Alnutrin powdered supplement for bone in meat grinds, and salmon oil from Hare Today. They both seemed to tolerate it well. Passing day 20 it was recommended to me to just transition all 3 daily meals to this raw rabbit instead of doing another 20 days transition per the last two meals. So I dove in with 1.6 oz per cat per meal using this rabbit blend and fish oil. A week or so ago I began to notice chalky poops beginning to develop. Via my research this indicates too much bone content. My new order of FINE ground Turkey arrived and today I gave them meal no. 2 all Turkey. The ground Turkey is 80% Meat / 10% Bone / 10% Organ.
My one cat, Yahtzee, vomited foamy white puke two days ago. Then skip a day no issue. Then today after meal 1 ( this one was the rabbit ) I noticed some mustard colored vomit on the carpet. Didn’t see which one did it but I can only assume it’s her. And then tonight she upchucked her no. 2 meal within an hour and a half ( this one was the turkey ). I’m so scared at this point she’s not going to be able to keep anything down… is her stomach inflamed? Did I move too fast?? What should I try to get her to eat? How do I make sure she isn’t going to get dehydrated?? Should I try some wet canned food?? Should I be taking her to the ER?? I’m new to a raw diet so I’m freaking out having just spent hundreds of dollars on frozen meat for the next couple months.. and now to think I’m doing something wrong that’s causing this.. I’m scared to go to the vet because they’ll say to get off the raw diet.. I don’t think it’s the raw itself I believe I must be doing something wrong! please help!!

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So they did well with the rabbit with too much bone other than their poops became chalky looking? But no vomiting on it ? The white froth vomit picture actually looks like what happens with they have over acidity due to not enough food in their tummies. Could it be that whoever did that didn't eat enough the meal prior? Not sure what the frame was when that happened.

It's possible the turkey doesn't agree with whoever is vomiting that. I wouldn't think this requires an ER visit. I would simply go back to feeding the rabbit, and maybe add in some plain rabbit if you have it (no bones or organs in the mixture, or perhaps add in canned food to it to cut down on the amount of calcium in it. Then you might try just adding in a little bit of the turkey mixture right into the rabbit and see if it's tolerated. If so, slowly increase the amount of turkey to rabbit ratio the same way you might transition to a new kibble.

You can always feed canned if there are problems encountered. I feed a combo of raw and canned, just in case of emergency

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LaynaLew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So they did well with the rabbit with too much bone other than their poops became chalky looking? But no vomiting on it ? The white froth vomit picture actually looks like what happens with they have over acidity due to not enough food in their tummies. Could it be that whoever did that didn't eat enough the meal prior? Not sure what the frame was when that happened.

It's possible the turkey doesn't agree with whoever is vomiting that. I wouldn't think this requires an ER visit. I would simply go back to feeding the rabbit, and maybe add in some plain rabbit if you have it (no bones or organs in the mixture, or perhaps add in canned food to it to cut down on the amount of calcium in it. Then you might try just adding in a little bit of the turkey mixture right into the rabbit and see if it's tolerated. If so, slowly increase the amount of turkey to rabbit ratio the same way you might transition to a new kibble.

You can always feed canned if there are problems encountered. I feed a combo of raw and canned, just in case of emergency
There was some vomiting on the rabbit. The foamy vomit was was hours after being fed rabbit but I had given them some freeze dried minnows and freeze dried tripe as treats and it was about an hour and a half after that that the foamy vomit happened. Last night I gave the problematic cat some wet food she’d been eating before my transition to rabbit. I added a bit of pumpkin to help with the constipation. She didn’t vomit that up. So I think I’m going to go back to the wet canned and try again this time very very slowly adding in the Turkey to the wet. The rabbit I think was too harsh and I think the reason they vomited on the Turkey may have been because I threw that change on them over the course of a single meal. As long as she’s not continuing to vomit I think I just need to back off a bit and only take this raw transition as fast as their stomachs allow me. Do you know anything about adding probiotics or digestive enzymes to raw to help them break it down?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I did add both probiotics and digestive enzymes to their food when I first transitioned my furries to raw. I continue to use probiotics to this day, and it's been years since their transition.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LaynaLew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did add both probiotics and digestive enzymes to their food when I first transitioned my furries to raw. I continue to use probiotics to this day, and it's been years since their transition.
Can I ask what brand/product you used??