Cat vomiting 4/5 days after neutering

CanaAlberona

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boy was neutered on the previous Friday and suddenly started vomiting yesterday. He's now vomited 4 or 5 times. I called his vet and they said it was probably because of the anesthesia.. but 4 and 5 days later? That doesn't feel right to me.. What should I do? He's been himself for the most part except for isolating himself after vomiting. He's almost 2 could being a little older when he had the surgery have something to do with it? I'm really worried about him..

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as he is eating, drinking, and not hiding all the time, it very well could be a reaction to the anesthetic. Anesthesia can stay in the system for days. In an older cat, it could also be a sudden drop in his hormone level. It can take up to 60 days for the hormones to leave his body completely. I would definitely have this reaction noted on his chart and bring it up with any future surgeries, hopefully none. A sick cat or one with an infection usually stops eating. How does his surgical site look? No oozing yellow/green pus or swelling? If it continues for more then two days, I would insist he is seen. In the meantime, definitely tempt him with yummy food and make sure he is drinking plenty of water. Set some small bowls around to tempt him to investigate, and often they will drink. Please keep us informed, and bless you for caring so much!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, as usual, di and bob di and bob covered every single thing that was running through my mind, and gave you the advice I would have given, so consider that seconded. And do let us know how he's doing! It's wonderful to have you with us, but I'm so sorry that it was a health scare that brought you here. You are VERY welcome!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to hi-jack this thread but is it normal for a 4 month kitten to be fine after spaying and then have an off day about a week later? Or is the off day probably random? Gracie had me worried last night but seemed better this morning (sort of). She wasn't as playful (ie bouncing off the walls) like normal. Her spay incision looks fine and not red.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any change in behavior gets us worried. As long as Gracie is eating, drinking, and using the litterbox, everything should be OK. They could have given her pain killers with the spay and sometimes they last for days. She also might have done a little too much yesterday and was sore. Check her incision for oozing, (clear, maybe slightly bloody discharge is normal) swelling, spreading redness, or hot to the touch. If any present, send a picture of the incision to your vet. Lumps are normal too, these are from internal stitches and swelling.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any change in behavior gets us worried. As long as Gracie is eating, drinking, and using the litterbox, everything should be OK. They could have given her pain killers with the spay and sometimes they last for days. She also might have done a little too much yesterday and was sore. Check her incision for oozing, (clear, maybe slightly bloody discharge is normal) swelling, spreading redness, or hot to the touch. If any present, send a picture of the incision to your vet. Lumps are normal too, these are from internal stitches and swelling.
klunick klunick , if it doesn't repeat, it was a random off day...if it does, call your vet!
Got an update from my husband. Looks like Gracie is back to being her normal trouble maker self. :cheerleader: Guess yesterday was random but it did worry me to see her so still for no apparent reason. The only other times she wasn't crazy is after her vaccines and the day after her spay surgery which wasn't surprising to me.

Here is my husband's update...
She was much friendlier with me this morning for sure. Hopped on the counter and got petted, then came downstairs and nosed around, later grabbed some plastic cups from somewhere and her and Boone were chewing on them(tossed them before I left) and was smart as heck because I took the cups from them in the living room and initially put them on the sink in the bathroom. 3 minutes later here comes Gracie and made a beeline right for them and stole them back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CanaAlberona

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As long as he is eating, drinking, and not hiding all the time, it very well could be a reaction to the anesthetic. Anesthesia can stay in the system for days. In an older cat, it could also be a sudden drop in his hormone level. It can take up to 60 days for the hormones to leave his body completely. I would definitely have this reaction noted on his chart and bring it up with any future surgeries, hopefully none. A sick cat or one with an infection usually stops eating. How does his surgical site look? No oozing yellow/green pus or swelling? If it continues for more then two days, I would insist he is seen. In the meantime, definitely tempt him with yummy food and make sure he is drinking plenty of water. Set some small bowls around to tempt him to investigate, and often they will drink. Please keep us informed, and bless you for caring so much!
He seemed totally himself this morning and was even playing. Up until he vomited blood on my floor. I called the vet and we're leaving as soon as my girlfriend gets here with the car.

CanaAlberona

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update! Got him in to a vet and he's going to be ok! He has a minor infection. The vet gave him antibiotics and checked him for an obstruction. He didn't find anything but I did find a piece of packing tape covered in vomit on the ground when I got home so it looks like he did have one but he got it out before visiting the vet. He seems to be feeling better already which makes me unbelievably happy. Thank you all so much!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well...THANK GOODNESS! Do update us once more in a few days if all continues to go well, just so we know, and SOONER if (GOD FORBID) things get rocky again!

CanaAlberona

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Final update! Sir Pumpkin is back to his normal self! In fact he's a bit more energetic than he was before he got neutered! My boy is eating completely normal and playing like I've never seen him play before! Thank you all so much for your advice and concern it means the world!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are more than welcome! That's what we're here for. I'm thrilled that he's back to normal.