Cat vomit yellow - advice need it

Minty89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning everyone,
my 1 year old cat just vomited yellow liquid. It happened already a month ago but at the time he vomited yellow liquid with a gummy/hard brown piece in it. So we thought he ate something he shouldn’t have to (something he goes to have a look in the rubbish). So we are wondering if we need to be concerned and bring him to the vet or not. In attachment you can find a picture of the vomit from last month. (Today he vomited same liquid but without the brown staff)
Thank you so much in advance for all advice!

Attachments

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats do that too especially when hungry. Usually when a cat's vomit is yellowish, it is most often because the cat's stomach is empty. Those are acids and bile. BUT, there are also other factors or causes why a cat vomits, so it is always wise to check with the vet as it may not only be stomach acid or bile. Early vet intervention is always the best. Try to observe and see how frequent it happens. Otherwise, your cat may just be hungry.

Others here may have more knowledge and can assist you more.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If this is happening once a month I don't think there's a lot to worry about. As mentioned above, this is stomach bile and cats usually only vomit bile when their stomach has been empty for too long. How long are you going between feedings and how much are you feeding? Many cats do better with smaller, more frequent meals. In some cats, going more than 8 hours can sometimes cause overproduction of bile and cause them to vomit. Other cats can go longer, it just depends.

As for the chunk in the vomit, do your best to figure out what that was. If it's not food and instead something around the house it's best to at least give the vet a call. Your cat was likely just too hungry and decided to eat whatever he could find, but depending on what this was there could be more left inside him. If he doesn't vomit again for at least a week you're likely in the clear for that scenario though.

My cat Po has a tendency to chew on plastic (like potato bags) when he gets too hungry. It's unfortunate because he's a bit overweight, but I've learned to hide all plastic now so that he doesn't do this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Is it possible that the dark gummy/hard brown thing was a hairball? It could be that he has another hairball lodged in his digestive tract that he isn't able to vomit up, or that he was able to dislodge and it is now traveling through his system.

Feeby rarely throws up a hairball, but seems to vomit a bit which apparently does something to allow the hairball to move on through her digestive tract. However, her vomit is never quite that coloration - it is generally clearer than that. The coloring you are seeing is most likely bile which can also be the result of your cat going for long hours without eating, which allows the stomach acids to build up - as mentioned above. It could also be related to the coloring if his food too.

However, I would be inclined to take him to the vet for a check up. If you still have the vomit, you can bag it and keep it in the refrigerator in case the vet might want to take a look at it. Just ask them when you call if that would be beneficial.

Is he eating/drinking/acting OK? Using the litter box regularly?

Last edited: