Cat Vomit Looks And Smells Like Diarrhea

mirandalindsay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last night my cat vomited, it looked and smelled like diarrhea. He has also had diarrhea the past couple days. He seems to be acting normal (playing with our other cat, eating, and drinking) but also seems a little agitated (he goes through phases of being agitated so at first we didn’t think anything of it). We weren’t completely concerned about the diarrhea until he threw up last night. We set a vet appointment for later today. Has anyone else had a cat that experienced this? If so, what did your vet say it was?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - thanks so much for coming here!
I'm so glad you aren't waiting to see the vet - are your cats indoor/outdoor? Is he super stressed by seeing other cats outside?
I don't have personal experience with this with any of the cats I've had, I'm sending TONS of good thoughts your way!
Let us know what happens - :vibes::redheartpump:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Last night my cat vomited, it looked and smelled like diarrhea. He has also had diarrhea the past couple days. He seems to be acting normal (playing with our other cat, eating, and drinking) but also seems a little agitated (he goes through phases of being agitated so at first we didn’t think anything of it). We weren’t completely concerned about the diarrhea until he threw up last night. We set a vet appointment for later today. Has anyone else had a cat that experienced this? If so, what did your vet say it was?
Jst curious as to what the Vet had to say.

FakeGourmet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vomit that smells like poop can indicate an obstruction, gastroenteritus, which is an infection or inflammation or GERD (acid reflux). Just smelling poop in the mouth can simply be meat stuck in a gum pocket that has partially digested. I'm sure there is other stuff too, but less likely. Hopefully, your kitty is better now!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mirandalindsay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - thanks so much for coming here!
I'm so glad you aren't waiting to see the vet - are your cats indoor/outdoor? Is he super stressed by seeing other cats outside?
I don't have personal experience with this with any of the cats I've had, I'm sending TONS of good thoughts your way!
Let us know what happens - :vibes::redheartpump:
Both of our cats are indoors. We live on the top floor of our apartment building so they never see other cats through the windows. The vet said since he is behaving normally, eating, drinking, has a normal temperature, is very hydrated (just overall a very healthy cat), and did not feel any hard clumps in his abdomen that she does not think it is a hairball obstruction or any sort of infection. She said to put him on a bland diet of boiled chicken, cottage cheese, and rice. However, he is a very picky cat and only likes one specific hard food (Wellness Core Indoor Cat Formula) so we could not change his diet. She also said to just keep an eye on his behavior, eating/drinking patterns, and if he has diarrhea again to use a swab she provided to get a sample so it can be sent to a lab for further testing. Thank you all for responding and helping us out! We will continue to keep you updated in the upcoming days.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here are some things our members say worked for them for getting picky cats to eat food they need to eat, or when transitioning to wet food;
Check with your vet if there's anything in this list that's a no-no, then have a go at it and see if you can't get your cat to 'comply' by mixing an item onto or in the food - isn't it the worst when we can't tell them it's for their own good?

Then down the road, try these things and see if you can't get him to eat wet food :)
  • Chicken or beef flavored baby food - make sure it doesn't contain any garlic or onions
  • Tuna in water
  • Salmon
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled unseasoned chicken or turkey
  • Rich kitten food
  • Fish or tuna flavored canned wet food

4. Try Hills Prescription Diet A D Critical Care Canned Food.
This is the canned food veterinarians often use in the clinic to test for lack of appetite. Most cats find it irresistible, so it can be helpful in getting a cat to eat food it isn't interested in by mixing it in.