Cat Vidos on YouTube - are they really good for cats?

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all

We use YouTube videos to calm our one year old when he comes back in the house. He loves chasing the ‘pretend mice’ etc, but is it frustrating when cats can’t actually catch things? Therefore how beneficial are these videos?

Thanks

James

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People overthink this stuff sometimes. You said it yourself, he "loves chasing the pretend mice". So whats the issue? You think your cat can't tell if he enjoys doing something? Its a sickness/addiction like gambling and not actually healthy or fun?

If your cat is enjoying something, and its not destructive or dangerous, let him do it? I mean, ok, if he is an indoor/outdoor cat, maybe there is some sort of argument that futilely chasing TV mice will destroy his hunting skills??? Probably not, but lets carve that out just so we don't have to think about it. Beyond that, I just have no idea what people are thinking when they express this concern, which comes up sometimes with laser pointers. If your cat love love loves chasing a laser pointer for 30 minutes until he is exhausted, the human tells him no, that ain't the right way for a cat to play because you can't actually catch it? You shouldn't like that? Isn't that like telling a human kid they shouldn't play Fortnight because they don't actually get to shoot anything? You shouldn't run around the track, because its just a circle and you don't actually go anywhere? You shouldn't talk to girls, because you never have any luck with them anyway? You shouldn't learn geometry, because no one uses that crap? (Well, maybe there is something too that last one...)

Bottom line, if your cat didn't like watching it, he wouldn't.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I particularly agree with that last sentence above. Feeby chased a laser until Feeby got tired of chasing the laser. Was it because she couldn't really catch it, or just because the fun of it wore off? I don't know, but I liken the same thing to be true of video watching - if your cat stops watching them, he either figured out he couldn't catch the mice or watching them is no longer interesting. Either way, he will quit if he no longer derives enjoyment from them.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Delilah likes the videos, but only certain items on them, and they have to have the right sounds (squeaking, squeeze toys, loud chirps, buzzes, hisses) or she's not interested. You can also "overuse" them to the point where the cat gets bored. She'll get interested once or twice a week.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wonder if it depends on whether or not the cat has other cats with which to play. I have three cats, and they've never shown any interest in cat videos whatsoever.
I can say that Feeby is an 'only cat' and she watched a bird and squirrel video for about 2 minutes. Once I guess she figured out it wasn't 'real', she left - and would never again display any interest when I tried to play other ones for her.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You could apply the same logic to any cat toy. One of mine in particular is probably addicted to Da Bird. We HAVE to play with it daily; she goes to a certain spot and sits and calls me to come and get it and play. So....it is overpriced feathers on a stick, she downs it, figures out it is not a real bird, and then wants to do it all over again. She seems completely thrilled with it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
ladytimedramon ladytimedramon that is very funny about the bees on the TV. You can't deny yourself TV just because the cat can't really catch what is on the screen.