Cat Very Territorial...please Help!

Sheri206

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an 11yr old tabby house cat who has never cared for other people to come inside our house, but the last 2 times this past month, she turns aggressive with us afterword the rest of the day (not so much with me, but with my husband). She growls and cries like a really scared cat and won't let us walk past her for hours. We have put her in the basement for the night, and in the morning she is back to the very affectionate cat she is. ??? Any sugge stions?

Mummycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She probably smells something different on your husband. Has he been petting others cats or animals?

And your husband probably smells "normal" again after a night's rest, hence the change in her behaviour the next morning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sheri206

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She probably smells something different on your husband. Has he been petting others cats or animals?

And your husband probably smells "normal" again after a night's rest, hence the change in her behaviour the next morning.

Sheri206

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was fine with my husband this morning. Then he went to the basement and came back upstairs and she started her aggressive behavior towards him. Last night when she was being aggresive, he was yelling at her. I have put her in the bedroom for now, but he says I have to get rid of her if she keeps it up today. She has been our cat for 11 years. This breaks my heart.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has your husband changed colognes or after shaves recently. Does you husband use scented hand lotion? The reason I am asking these questions is because our normally very affectionate people cat Casey does not like the smell some of my hubby's products and will actually run away when he smells those products. My hubby changed products and found new ones that do not freak out the cat. My cat does not get aggressive though he just runs away. I am also going to post an articles on re-directed aggression and non-recognition aggression for you to review. The behavior you described fits both issues. Hopefully these articles can give you some tips on how to deal with this behavior.

How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats This deals with behvior between cats but maybe there is something helpful for the human aspect.
Re-directed Aggression In Cats
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Cat Aggression Toward People

Sheri206

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, my husband doesn't have any new scents on him,, except a fear of her scent i am guessing.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs to be checked out by your vet to make sure,she doesn’t have something physical going on that is affecting her behavior. And remind your husband that yelling at a scared cat only makes them more terrified. He should try talking to her in a soft gentle tone even though he may be upset.

Sheri206

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I called the vet and she is supposed to call me when she gets out of surgery. I plan to get her seen today and see what the vet thinks I should do. I am so upset, I hope she doesnt have to be put down today.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see no reason to put her down, in spite of your husband. There has to be either a medical issue behind her behavior, or something your husband is doing.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
never cared for other people to come inside our house, but the last 2 times this past month, she turns aggressive with us afterword the rest of the day
Please do not have her put down because something has scared her. If I'm understanding your post correctly, this has happened twice after people have visited you? If that is correct, I would think it was possible the scent of cats or dogs these people own are suddenly in her territory (from shoes etc.) and she is reacting to it when they leave and she comes out. Husband yelling at her when she's in a scared state would certainly cause her to be more aggressive toward him than you.

Sheri206

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We took her to the vet yesterday and she prescribed Buspiarone (?) and suggested we go to Costco and get a Feliway classic plugin. So we came home, crushed the pill in her food, and left her alone while we went to the city to Petco. She finally settled down and so far is back to her loving self. Thanks for all of the replies yesterday.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm...you said the last two times people have come over she has been fearful right? Can you describe what happened the time before that that people came over? Perhaps something happened that really scared her? We’re there any children over that time?

While I understand how upsetting it can be when cats seem to be afraid or aggressive of us, it kind of breaks your heart a little. That said please remind your husband that if she is acting this way then it means what she is feeling is far stronger then what the two of you are feeling seeing her in this state. Is it just noises or has she attacked someone?