Cat very nauseous and dry heaving randomly?

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there. Long story short I gave my cat Morton ondansetron just a half hour ago because he vomited up a decent size hairball..ate some lunch then vomited the food up and now he's walking around dry heaving spit. I feel awful and there isnt any right reason that makes sense why he's doing this.. he has always had sensitive digestion he even got so backed up from a hard poop he nearly died (vomited up know what a year ago. Had to get it surgically removed.) Now he has lose stools on and off and I've figured out how to help that but he hasnt felt good this week. His recent blood work is the best it's ever been (he goes in every 3 weeks to monitor a platelet disease that's in remission and make sure diabetes is still in remission). But he started feeling bad a few days ago. Perked up the last two and I thought he was doing better now hes nauseated :( I feel awful. I'm going to bring him into work with me to get some fluids tomorrow but I just dont know what could cause this. The vets wont know either. he gets persistent infections because his body is wrecked and recovering to immunosuppressive drugs he has been on his whole 2 years of life and hes almost completely weaned off of prednisolone.

Can hairballs make a cat this nauseated? He rarely vomits. I think 4 times in his life he has and the last time a big hairball. he instantly hacked it up and went along with his day but today he is very nauseous

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah. Just a couple weeks ago my guy threw up a hairball, ate 20mins later and projectile vomited his food. He never does that ever usually, but he did eat too soon. My guy has suspect IBD, constipated version, and bloat. He needs to rest awhile before eating food! Hairballs make them feel nauseous yes, before and after. I let mine sleep it off, I even ignore him when he comes asking for food if its too soon. I wait at least 3-4 hours. I'm not familiar with ondansetron, so I can't comment on that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah. Just a couple weeks ago my guy threw up a hairball, ate 20mins later and projectile vomited his food. He never does that ever usually, but he did eat too soon. My guy has suspect IBD, constipated version, and bloat. He needs to rest awhile before eating food! Hairballs make them feel nauseous yes, before and after. I let mine sleep it off, I even ignore him when he comes asking for food if its too soon. I wait at least 3-4 hours. I'm not familiar with ondansetron, so I can't comment on that.
I'm sorry your kitty got sick but glad they got better. Ondansetron is a great anti nausea for humans and cats.. cerenia doesnt work for him sadly but ondansetron is a life saver. He is going to the vet tomorrow but they can never figure him out hes very complicated. They figured out the big issue but his little fits they attribute to his autoimmune diseases.

Hes going to get fluids at my work tomorrow so that will help I hope. And keep him on ondansetron for a few days. makes me feel so bad for him he was finally doing great

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hairballs can cause big issues. In fact, my own cat was hospitalized back in January with bad liver/gallbladder issues and one of the suspects was a hairball although my cat is short-haired. The vet said it was possible if the hairball blocked the way the things that were supposed to leave the body goes back up to liver/gallbladder area, leading to infection.