Cat VERY aggressive with nail trims

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I am absolutely pro-trimming a cat's claws, esp if they're indoor only as you're right, they can sometimes grow too much for them in the soft comfort of a house. But I feel declawing is always a no no as it's worse than having uncomfy claws. There's definitely a bunch of steps you can take.
Absolutely. Declawing is not an option.
TCS is actively anti-declawing, to the extent that it is a part of the 'cat care' section of our forum rules:
4. This website is anti-declawing. Understand that if you are pro-declaw in your posts, you will encounter opposition. Please learn more about alternatives for declawing

Jasper'sMom2022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One idea that my brother gave me as he did it with his cats is put them on the washing machine or dryer and let someone hold the cat for you. You see the vet tables for the animals are metal and can't grip anything on them. Plus cats don't care for that material. Another idea is to buy one of these bags that you put your cat in and you can pull the paw out and clip the nails. I personally wrap my cat firmly in a towel and even if I have to cover his head and pull his body next to yours and put your left around around over his back like your hugging him and pull a paw out. If he does well reward him with a treat. Just do one toot or even a couple of nails at a time so he slowly gets used to it. I've had cats that hate getting their nails done. Some have bad personalities and don't like their feet touched. That's another thing you can do is when you are just watching tv and he/she is next to you just slowly touch his paw and massage it , rub the pad, top of the paw, spread the toes so he gets used to be touched on his paws. Give him a reward when he does good.and praise him. Say his /her name and say "Good Boy" Or Good Girl. So If I did it with my cat I would say "That's a good boy, Jasper". "Jasper, touching your feet doesn't hurt" . " I'm not hurting you as you are my baby".
I'll add the photo of the bag for cats below.

1642034037662.png

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

Meow!
Anne
:clapcat::clapcat:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do realize that after a couple of uses with those bags, you have to sneak them into the room and cover them with a blanket to get the cat in it. But they do work for cats who absolutely cannot be trimmed otherwise.

trixiesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was feral and its been a long journey for most interactions. She's long haired and prone to matting and it took years and lots of treats for her to let me help groom her (now she eagerly hops on my lap for it). Nails were a different story. Not only does she have tufts of fur between her paw pads (adorable but makes trimming a nightmare), she would SHRED me if I tried to trim nails, and she's prone to ingrown. I've always had to take her to the vet and get her sedated - my old vet just expected her annual exam to occur when I found an ingrown nail. As she's aged, its been more frequent. She's not in good health now (blind, likely has a brain tumor that we're not going to treat)... so sedation is harder. She was sedated in March, and I discovered her limping and another nasty ingrown under the hair this week. The vet gave me gabapentin to give her before her appointment and wonder of wonders, once the gabapentin kicked in - she let me trim her nails - even the yucky ingrown one that hurt her! So - just a suggestion - if the vet will give you gabapentin, perhaps it would help.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would start to pick up the cat and put it down when not doing something to it. Just a brief second at first. Doesn't even have to be fully up, it could be just be the top half at first or just placing your hands on either side.

Second, touch his paws often. Just a Boop and then give a treat. You can also show him the clippers and let him sniff and then give a treat. The first time, you might have to leave them out on the floor and wait for his approach. Don't chase him.

Wait until he is worn out, perhaps asleep clip one toe on a front foot and give a treat, and then walk away. See where you get with that over a few months. Up to 2 or 3 toes at a time and you know it's working! It might be at first that you just touch his foot and extend the claw out and then walk away. Basically, you're teaching him to trust you with his toes.

Give up on any 'its been x time so should be better'. We don't know what he experienced in those 8 months 😊 besides, still only bad things happen (in his mind) when he is restrained. It can take a lifetime for some cats. I know with Lily it was more like 5 years before she fully trusted me. It was small steps over time.